•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage C5 destroyed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

Shipped an Orange Celestron Pac C5 to the West Coast about a month ago by USPS, only to receive part of the box back with a note of apology say the "contents were separated from packaging during shipping." Filled out the search forms and finally received what was left of the scope: crushed focuser, scratched tube, broken castings. :bawling: Returned it for the insurance claim

#2 WStewart

WStewart

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

Man, that is a total drag.

#3 Sherk

Sherk

Beer connoisseur

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

Ask for a replacement, not a financial indemnity.

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:20 PM

They won't replace things. You insure it and get the value in cash.

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

Eric,

Real sorry to hear about your scope, those old C5s could be pretty sweet. After having a 3 pound order of Kona coffee beans destroyed by the USPS I never again shipped anything through them that was not completely replacable. They had left me a delivery notice to pick up my order from Hawaii, and they handed me a Priority Mail box that was ripped, had tire tracks on it, one side soaked in water and dissolving, and coffee beans spilling everywhere on their counter. They had the nerve to ask me if I still wanted it.

It at least makes the insurance claim easier in that the kind of packing is irrelevant they can't keep the item in the packaging!

Dave

#6 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:11 AM

Shipping valuable items across the country is always a scary proposition. I can't imagine the number of times a box is picked up, thrown, trucked somewhere, thrown again, and so on until it finally arrives as its destination, where it is dropped off. That's why packing is the most important part of the process. It doesn't guarantee a successful trip, but it makes collecting the insurance easier!

#7 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:31 AM

Eric,

....... I never again shipped anything through them that was not completely replacable.

Whenever you ship something you have to go with the mindset that the item may be lost forever. There is a current thread here on CN about a dome that was destroyed in shipping. Every shipper, not just USPS, has cargo that gets destroyed or damaged. That's why they offer insurance. I work for a aerospace/defense contractor. We ship spaceflight hardware from one side of the country to the other. Sometimes things are flown, other times they are trucked. You would think that items that took months to build, test, and that cost millions, would be treated with "white gloves" by the "specialized" company hired to provide transport. We recently had multi-million dollar item damaged due to handling! While the insurance will cover the cost of the item, it will not cover the cost of the impact to the program's schedule. More importantly it doesn't cover the cost of the customer's dissatisfaction when they found out about what happen to their hardware. Just as the old saying says “Buyer beware”…there should be one that says “Shipper beware”. When you ship anything you are buying a ticket in the unlucky lottery, and hoping you don’t win.

#8 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:16 AM

Eric,

....... I never again shipped anything through them that was not completely replacable.

Whenever you ship something you have to go with the mindset that the item may be lost forever.

Precisely why I waited years to have my mirrors in the MakNewt recoated...had to find a place that I could drive to, I'd never ship them, they are irreplaceable. Especially by USPS...just kidding Don. ;)

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

In my job I ship some pretty delicate and valuable stuff. I just make sure that I pack it so that it cannot be destroyed. That takes some time...

But, all I need to do is think back about 25 years to those days when I used to work as a mechanic for a small "LTL" (less than truck load) trucking company. I think of all the stupid stuff our drivers did, and just make sure it is packed well enough that they couldn't destroy it....

I do avoid UPS though if at all possible. A few years ago, there was a telescope store three blocks away from my house. I had a couple of Meade scopes that needed repair.

After the first one was delivered to the store instead of my house, I made signs for the second one. It was also misdelivered....

Jon

#10 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:40 AM

Too bad. It never happened to me (yet!), but I always insure for the price of the scope + the price of shipping.

When you get your insurance money back, make sure not to throw away the scope; you might have a few spare parts usable for other unfortunate C5 users who may lose/break a part or another

#11 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

When you get your insurance money back, make sure not to throw away the scope; you might have a few spare parts usable for other unfortunate C5 users who may lose/break a part or another

Inorder to file the insurance claim with the post office you have to turn over the damaged goods. But yeah I was tempted to remove the primary and corrector :crazy:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics