•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

First Light :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

Well I finally got to try my scope tonight, the counterweight bar finally arrived, plus I fixed the DEC drive last night. The motor was turning but it wasn't engaging the other gear as it wasn't meshing.

It took around an hour and a half for the scope to cool down, the images just got better and better until the OTA was thermally stable, then the images were great, no shimmer.

The conditions weren't the best either, plenty of broken low level cloud which reflected the local light pollution back down to earth.

Couldn't even get an alignment because of the cloud, so I used the scope in manual, no problems. Slew rates 8 and 9 are noisy, 7 is quiet and 6 and below aren't woth worrying about. It would be great if you can set a filter for the Slew Rates.

I had the tripod at it's minimum height and resting on level flagstones, the C8 OTA was absolutely rock solid, vibrations died within 2 seconds.

The standard 6*30 finderscope and mount are real letdowns, the mount especially, quite difficult to align and even harder to keep aligned.

Would have liked more power at the eyepiece, the 25mm wasn't powerful enough, I should have a 12.5 and 7.5mm tomorrow. They will give me more options whilst I wait for the eyepiece and filter kit to turn up, as well as filling out the range.

Collimation looks good, after the tube had cooled stars had a circular halo when defocused, the high power eyepeice should tell me more. Already ordered some of Bob's collimation screws.

All in all I'm impressed, it took 3 trips to setup, the tripod and EQ can be carried easily in one piece, the weights and handcontroller and the OTA last.

This was really a shakedown run, funny thing is now that i'm inside, the sky is now crystal clear. DOH!!!!

Well it's clear skies for 3 more days.

Important tip to self, let scope cool in cold conservatory, then set up when sky is clear. :)

#2 dc2861

dc2861

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:21 AM

Jason

Get yourself a good Barlow. Instead of three EP's you'll effectively have six. ;)

#3 synner

synner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:01 AM

Nice one Jason.

I haven't managed to get my new one out yet, what with work and the weather :-( Hopefully it'll be clear this weekend though.

Nick

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:36 PM

Well, I have finally sorted the scope out.

I was getting a consistent mis-alignment error on the first star when using Auto Three Star Align. It was always out by 15 deg or more, this was even after a good polar alignment.

Turns out it was the index marks that were way off, have now set them correctly as per the instructions on Mike Swansons site.

Entered the precise time and date and long/lat coords, mount facing rough North did a quick align, with no polar alignment and told it to goto Sirius and it still put Sirius in the fov of the finderscope.

I'm really impressed, before it was missing by a good 10-15 degrees in RA and DEC, especially considering this was a quick alignment, with a an extremely rough north alignment.

Now if it only had a button to remove the clouds and improve the seeing. :)

#5 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:02 PM

Now if it only had a button to remove the clouds and improve the seeing. :)

Figure that out and you will make a fortune! Glad you found the problem. It really bites when the alignment process doesn't work well. I'm very grateful for the High Precision feature on my scope. It saves me from having to start over when I don't center everything correctly the first time.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, I was getting rather annoyed, 2-3 degrees is manageable, but 10 to 15 degrees is a huge error.

But it was still accurate once the 3 star alignment was done,the main problem was the amount of time the alignment was taking, now it's much quicker.

High Precision sounds like the Re-Alignment function on the AS series, you can re-align to any star your are viewing,it's great when your just doing some visual observing

Precise Goto is cool too, it's like computer assisted starhopping :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics