•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Replacement 20x80 binos landed! Gimme a break!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:54 PM

Round two;

Well, there's USPS/Purolator for you. :foreheadslap: What does a guy have to do, anyway! :confused: Guess its time to call Kevin again. :bawling:

Attached Thumbnails

• 57783-20x80s Damage -1a.jpg

#2 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:53 AM

OMG!!!! Man I can believe it. Did they drop that from a 10 story building???!!! You should get UPS to pay for all the expenses :flame:
I knew they were bad but not THAT bad...

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:19 AM

HOLY friend! That's horrible! That picture makes me cringe. I feel for ya man. I hope getting a replacement happens soon....and pain-free.

#4 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:08 AM

They must really be slamming those packages around. My Obies were incased in foam and some bubble wrap and arrived in excellent condition. The centerbracing probably helped too.

Craig Simmons
Falls Church, VA

#5 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

This is a trick question, isn't it. I know. It is a 20X80 spotting scope with matching vase and spare prism unit. Well, whichever delivery person dropped kicked it should be easy to spot from his limp. And USPS does not charge extra for this service. But in this day and age, the delivery person will probably sue you for injury. It kind of puts a new twist on the phrase "going postal." I'm I making you feel better? :flower:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:47 AM

My new 22x100 obies came in the other day safely via UPS wrapped the same way as Craig's. Maybe the USPS shouldn't be trusted for such delicate and sensitive parcels? Not that UPS is wonderful either, but I think they have an overall better record for noticing the word "fragile" and then acting on that word.

#7 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:45 AM

Hmmm...you sure they haven't been by my local post office? :grin: Looks like something they would do! I feel for you buddy :bawling:

I just ordered these myself - and mine have to travel a long way. Now I'm nervous...VERY nervous! :praying:

#8 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Guys for the sympathies and moral support! I guess you have to expect a few disasters like this in this hobby, which entails a lot of long distance shipping. I've been lucky so far - after several years in this hobby this is the only thing I've recieved damaged! The only other issue was when I bought a pair of binos from a US Seller off of Astromart, USPS shipped them to London ENGLAND insteady of London ONTARIO. Guess there's at least one person at US post office that can't read! :grin: But to be fair, it took a Postie in England 4 MONTHS to figure out what happened and finally shipped it back across the Atlantic ocean. The irony is that by that time I had already purchased a replacement pair of binos, so then I had TWO of them! :crazy:

Anyway, as for the damaged binos, the only thing I can figure is that they were dropped from a considerable height or were hit at just the right angle such the the energy of hte impact was transferred and concentrated at the narrow tube joint where it broke. The shipping box had several dents and holes in it but funny enough the cardboard box the binos were in and the sleve were pristine, so nothing appeared to actually touch the binos themselves.

I talked to the ever helpful Kevin at Oberwerk this morning and he told me that while this has happened before, it is not very common. He is going to put in a claim to USPS at his end.

So, now I'm beginning to wonder about the robustness of this style of binocular. I'm wondering about reconsidering the beefier 20x90 or 22x100's that have the objective brace. I'm also keep thinking about the 20x77 Exceeds, but am very concerned about the narrow FOV and AFOV.

Decisions...decisions.... :question:
Gary in Ontario

#9 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:35 PM

Maybe you should consider the 20x90 or the 22x100. They are both made of aluminum and the 20x90 is rubber armoured.
You'll have to mount the 20x80 so the only advantage I see from them besides the cheaper price is the weight.

Good Luck!

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:14 PM

Garfield,

I believe this is a sign from the heavens ,trying to tell you to buy a telescope instead , and perhaps some flowers for your partner to help soften the blow of the shock of the cost :-)

Seriously ,I would like to convey my deepest sympathy in these troubled times !

Regards --Kenny.

Regards -- Kenny.

#11 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

I believe this is a sign from the heavens ,trying to tell you to buy a telescope instead , and perhaps some flowers for your partner to help soften the blow of the shock of the cost :-)
Regards -- Kenny.

LOL Thanks for the tip Kenny! Fortunately, the cost of my astronomy toys don't shock my DW....any more. :grin:

The irony here is that I've bought thousands of dollars worth of USED astronomy equipment, including 8" and 12.5" Portaballs, without a stitch of trouble. But when I try and buy a cheepo pair of Chinese binos NEW, I've had nothing but trouble! Maybe there's a message in there somewhere? :p

Gary in Ontario

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:45 AM

I think that this shows that the 20x80's scaled up from the 15x70's are not a wholly successful concept in terms of strength. I think I would go with one of the models with a centre brace instead.

Also easier to mount in a better balanced way. The mounting point of these 20x80's is a very long way away from the objectives.

#13 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:09 AM

I think that this shows that the 20x80's scaled up from the 15x70's are not a wholly successful concept in terms of strength. I think I would go with one of the models with a centre brace instead.

I agree with this. I've always seen the exact point where those broke as the weakest point of the system. Are the broken off threads plastic or thin metal? I've seen both on a variety of inexpensive Asian binoculars.

Regarding UPS, we've had them damage so many delicate scientific instruments and parts at work, that I now try to specify FedEx or somebody else if I can. They've broken a few things, too. But, nowhere near as many as UPS. Believe it or not, I've also had good luck with the US Postal Service. I know there are many who've had bad luck with them, but so far they have been good to me. Really, it often comes down to adequate packaging. Shippers should really envision what's likely to happen when packages are literally thrown from loading cart to trucks, many, many times, and when large heavy packages are unceremoniously dumped hard, down onto littler packages. All the shipping services do variations of those things on a daily basis.

The good news is that you're dealing with Kevin B. at Oberwerk, and he's a really good guy that will get things straight in the end for you.

Mike Swaim

#14 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:57 PM

I shipped a 16" mirror via UPS to Northern Washington and back no problem. Double boxed. Lot's of peanuts, no problem.

Just pretend gorrila's will be playing with your cargo in transit and pack accordingly. One corner of the box came back pretty well cranged in - but the mirror was in great shape.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

Do you know what USPS and Shoe Pavillion have in common?

Fifty thousand loafers....

#16 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

I agree with this. I've always seen the exact point where those broke as the weakest point of the system. Are the broken off threads plastic or thin metal? I've seen both on a variety of inexpensive Asian binoculars.

The good news is that you're dealing with Kevin B. at Oberwerk, and he's a really good guy that will get things straight in the end for you.

Mike Swaim

Mike, the binocular tubes are only 1/8" thick (thin?) plastic - very thin after being tapped for threading into the the prism assembly. The engineering really needs to be re-thought on these. Even using 3/16" thick plastic tubes would have added much needed strength without adding much weight. That's why I've decided not to replace them with the same model. If they were ever dropped, even from a modest height, its game over.

Yes, Kevin has been a pleasure to deal with through all my troubles. Now I just hope he has patience for me to decide which replacements I want!

Gary in Ontario

#17 seeker372011

seeker372011

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:23 AM

just looking at that photo gives me the shivers....I had a pair of 20 x80 Obies shipped all the way to Sydney Australia a couple of weeks ago and probably wouldnt have dared if I had seen this photo earlier

Happily for me they got here safely--what's more amazing there have even been a couple of cloudless nights when I could actually use them....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics