•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Yet another new member with a new scope...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:34 AM

Hey everybody,

I just got a new 8" LX200GPS two nights ago! First, I wanted to say thanks to every one at Cloudy Nights for all of their posts. This is a great site with very active members who have lots of knowledge and experience that they're willing to share. It's really made a difference for me while I was deciding what to buy. (I already had an 8" Dob, but wanted to upgrade to something with GOTO capability.)

The first night was disappointing, because the dealer assured me that my scope included the Autostar Suite (w/ LPI) and SMT. Lo and behold, however... when I got home and opened up the boxes there was no indication that either were included. After a call to Meade to confirm that my model # didn't include them, I called the dealer and he promised to take care of it the next day. So I couldn't even set it up for fear that I was going to have to return it! Thankfully he was an honest dealer and has already taken care of it for me with Meade, so hopefully they'll be in the mail soon.

Since that was resolved, I was finally able to unpack the scope last night and set it up, with a little help from my husband to get it on the tripod. I'm sure I could have done it by myself, but didn't want to risk dropping it. And believe it or not, the clouds cleared right as I got it put together and stayed away for about 45 minutes. Talk about luck!

The initial startup was flawless! I opted for the automatic alignment, and it found home, level, true north, and got it's GPS fix in about 10 seconds. Then it headed for Rigel and was pretty close. Next was Dubhe, and it landed that right in the EP.

Once the alignment was complete, I slewed to Saturn and it was beautiful!! I could see the Cassini division without any problem. Next I headed for Venus, which I could easily tell wasn't a full disc.

Last, I looked at Capella and used it to check the collimation. I was a little worried that I was going to have to tweak that, but it was perfect! I couldn't believe it. I'm sure I'll have to adjust it at some point in the future, but at least not at the moment.

Anyways... just wanted to "report in" and thank you all for your help. Now I just need clear skies for more than an hour! Something that's not too common in Seattle during the winter! :)

#2 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

Welcome to the CN forums Sierra! And congratulations on your new scope. It should give you many a happy night viewing the stars and planets.

Best Regards,
Ricky

#3 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:49 AM

Hi Sierra! Another NW'er! Welcome to Cloudy Nights. We have a lot of folks from the NW on here. Last night was a great night, wasn't it. The LX200GPS is on my short list (along with the LX90 and the Celestron Nexstar 8).

Sounds like you had a great night and hopefully we'll get more of the same!

Tom

#4 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:52 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and congrats on the new scope. You are going to love it! Take your time with getting used to the scope. I was nervous lifting mine onto the tripod at first too. Once you get comfortable with it you won't hesitate. It would be horrid to drop it! Just make sure the tripod is fairly level and the legs are fully spread and you should be fine.
I have found that the LX200s hold their collimation fairly well and it's any easy procedure once you need to do it. You may want to get some of Bob's Knobs later on.
http://www.buytelesc...&pid=5027&m=111
I hope you get lots of clear skies.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome messages. Thanks for the encouragement, Echo. I'll probably try to set it up on my own in the next few days. Bob's Knobs are on my rapidly growing wish list. Why can't Christmas be in June?! Or heck... March for that matter!

#6 Ricky

Ricky

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:51 PM

Forget March! Get the knobs now!!!!! lol :)

Ricky

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2004 - 02:40 PM

Hi Sierra,

I'm new here too. Just got a Celestron 8"SCT. Like you, I was lurking here for a while before I purchased my scope. It was good to see different discussions and opinions.

I do have a question about Bob's Knobs for the veterans. If you get a set and install them, won't you have to recollimnate (sp?) afterwards? If your scope is already collimnated, wouldn't it make sense to buy a set and wait until you need to recollimnate to install them?

Crashy

#8 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

I had to recollimnate afterwards, but it wasn't tough and you'll have to learn how to do it anyway.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:35 AM

Collimation is part of the Induction Ceremony; without your having done it a few times, we're not able to give you the secret handshake....

Actually, collimation is fairly simple, but get Bob's Knobs. That makes collimation so simple, why, even a GUY can do it.... :roflmao:

#10 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:10 AM

Welcome Sierra!

Did you get out Friday night? I did and the conditions were quite nice.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:59 AM

Hi Sierra. You are so lucky to get a clear night here to test your scope so soon after getting it. I hope I'm so fortunate when mine arrives!

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:53 AM

I did get out Friday night and it was even better than Thursday! Much clearer and for a longer period of time. I'm still just in awe with this new scope. When I bought my 8" dob a few years back I was really drooling over the LX200s, but couldn't afford one at the time. Can't believe I finally got one! :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics