•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opticstar 80S?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

I'm thinking about getting this scope

Looks like a hopped up version of an Orion ST80 which I always wanted to try, but like 2" dual speed focusers. This has one already.

Anybody got one?
  • BinoGuy likes this

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Well, I tried one for a bit. Passed it on to a friend. Comments:

1. It is recommended not to touch collimation screws and send it back if anything happens Vs the Orion ST where you can pretty much do anything you want to it.

2. Focuser is one of the worst I have tried.

3. Performance was on par with a typical 80mm achro scope meaning it performs quite well within the limitations of a fast 80mm achro refractor.

4. It is better balanced than the ST80 with a 2" focuser (tried that as well), but this is due to the heavy 2" focusers available as an upgrade to the ST80 1.25" focuser. The AR80S focuser is lightweight (but horrible).

If you stick a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece (a nice ES for example) in the Orion ST80 or a 32mm plossl (A GSO plossl will do well) you still get 4 degrees TFOV and no balancing issues. Of course, stick a 2" focuser, get a longer dovetail and a 31mm Nagler, and you are up to 6 degrees TFOV znd properly balanced with the ST80.

I guess it depends on the use. If it is for uber grab n' go viewing, the stock ST80 with the GSO 32mm plossl and another couple of eyepieces and a barlow (or a classic 8-24 zoom and a barlow) pluss a decent tripod and mount head (nothing fancy required with the total low weight) will serve you well.

So, tell us how a 2" 80mm achro fits in the picture as there are other options as well. For example, at a lower price you can have its 90mm brother (at a slightly longer f ratio but slightly better color correction):

http://www.teleskop-...S-90-500mm-R...

Remember to take out VAT (19%) and to add shipping costs in the order of maybe $50-$70.

#3 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Was that the focuser pictured in my link? They originally came out with single speed 2" R&P.

Not interested in long focal length refractors. F/6, F/5, F/6.x max.
This will be for quick g n g.
Did u ever measure true aperture? They are the same price as AT72ED and not much sense to get opticstar over AT72ED if actually less than 80mm true aperture.

They have a F/5.5 90mm also here

Maybe I'll just call em and see if they have any I can check out for myself while there. That shop isn't too far away.

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

They had both single and dual speed focuser options and I got the single speed focuser, so maybe this one is better!

The one I put in my post is 90mm f5.5 so it is within your specifications and actually looks more or less the same as the one in your post except for the focuser upgrade to a dual speed focuser. Probably same OEM making both.

Didn't measure true aperture as I found the build not agreeable to my taste so I passed it on to a friend to use as a guidescope.

Funnily enough, I did have the AT72ED which is truly a fantastic scope for the aperture, however a tad heavy for the aperture!

I have gone through a lot of small sized telescopes and still haven't found the one that will satisfy me completely... My current small refractor (Stellarvue SV80ST) provides simply stunning images, but it again feels too heavy!

Unfortunately, no manufacturer is eager to make a lightweight version of such instruments for pure visual observers (in such a case, the OTA could be lighter, the focuser not so heavy e.t.c.).

Oh, well, the search continues...

Good luck in your search as well. If you can try before you buy, that's the best possible outcome. You will feel a lot more comfortable with any purchase you make.

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm sure you're right - check it out live first. Would make sense with such little reviews on it.

#6 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

IMHO it is nice looking.....

#7 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Not bad for a small achromat. I think I like the 90mm better.

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

According to the link its an apo not an achro, nice looking , very much like several other offerings with different names on them from the far east,DA.

#9 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

oh yeah. they got the title wrong. Only one version is apo. that one is fpl-53 doublet and $729

#10 alacant

alacant

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 38ºN

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

Hi. Just in case anyone is still interested. Rather late but 2 years on, maybe things have improved? Over here in Europe they're available for around €150.The big no nonsense focuser sets it apart from a st80, so you can fit a dslr without drooping:

Cheers and clear skies,

Steve

opticstar.jpg

m24.jpg

• BinoGuy likes this

#11 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

How is it another 4 years in?  I'm looking at Opticstar myself.

• Spyke likes this

#12 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:16 AM

And now it's 2020!  Any updates? UK retailer says not available now and no plans to reintroduce, but I'd be interested in looking at/through a used one sometime.  

• BinoGuy likes this

#13 Chris33benoit

Chris33benoit

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton, NB, Canada

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

Hi there 1 year later.  I would like to buy one of these to try it out (Opticstar AR80).  It is my first time doing astrophotography with a small "refractor" scope without blowing my budget.  So far with the pandemic I want something (to buy) like a Meade Star Adventure 80mm.  It seems everything is back ordered....in the entire world.  But I wonder if this Opticstar OTA AR80 might be a good starter comparing to the Orion CT80 or Svbony refractor.   My setup would be a standard (sturdy ish) tripod, Nikon D3200 (body only) attached to the scope, intervalometer and the NYX tracker (barn door style).  Any suggestions or comments please.  Thanks!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics