•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

15x70 SkyMasters now $66.49 with FREE shipping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

A friend of mine purchased these a few weeks ago, and he notified me of what seems to be an excellent deal on Amazon. I just thought I'd alert you all to what seems like an unbelievably low price for good binos. I have 12x60 Oberwerks otherwise I'd buy these.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 20 February 2004 - 06:33 PM

Can anyone tell me - are there TWO versions of thse Celestron Skymasters doing the rounds ?

The only ones I can find available here in the UK are advertised as being FULLY multi-coated and the lowest price I've found them going for new is £99 ( around $180 US at current exchange rate) . This price does NOT include shipping.

In the US , these are advertised as being only MULTI-COATED
and when converted to pounds sterling , can be obtained for as little as around £38

Maybe it is just an amazing example of current exchange rates between US an UK currencies , a "cultural" thing, a case of "snobbery of the binocular kind" or just downright naivety, but to my mind ,if I saw a brand new 15 x 70 binocular for sale for what converts to £38 in China or India , I might consider the item worthy of serious consideration , but if I saw such an product here in the UK selling for £38 ,I would instinctively presume that it must be a load of friend.

Knock off the £10 a typical "Brit" might be perfectly willing to pay for internal postage and delivery, and we are effectively talking an equivalent of a UK resident paying £28 for a 15 x 70 binocular.

Take away the "cut" for the retailer , and the not inconsiderable cost of shipping from the place of origin to the retailer's warehouse , and the wages previously paid for the designers and manufacturers of the product, and we must be left with the stark reality that the total real value of materials and componentry contained within such a product must have been selected and produced for something in the region of little more than £10 UK.

This seems a wholly different ball game when compared with paying £1600 UK for a Zeiss 15 x 60.

Mind - boggling really !

Regards -- Kenny

#3 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:05 PM

That's good news Decartes. I put in my order on 2-12-04 with a delivery estimate of 3-19 to 4-5. Perhaps I'll be notified soon that they have shipped.

Larry

#4 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:11 PM

Celestron Up Close 10-30 X 50
$ 65.95 + 6.95 S&H

http://telescopes.ne..._-_upclose.html

#5 Diego

Diego

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:28 AM

I doubt any of the Skymaster models are fully multi coated. I was about to buy the 25x100 advertised as multi coated. Still not convinced about these binos, I spoke to a Celestron technitian asking for more information about the coating and he told me they are multi coated on air to glass surfaces but not inside. I also asked about collimating them and they don't have user collimating screw either.

So I went with the Ober. 20x90 instead. Kevin had a Skymaster 25x100 for sale, which he purchased for evaluation. He makes clear notice that they are NOT FMC. I contacted him regarding the Celestrons, here's the response:

Hi Diego,
When I said the coatings on it are exactly as shown in the page I sent earlier:

http://www.oberwerk....ucts/mccomp.htm

I meant exactly like the "brand B" (Burgess). In other words, not very good. So yes, the Oberwerk 20x90, with it's excellent multi-coatings, would perform about as well as the larger Celestron- and it would be better than the Celestron in terms of contrast and ghosting on bright
objects.
Regards,
Kevin Busarow
www.bigbinoculars.com

----- Original Message -----
To: "Kevin Busarow"
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: Binocular Coatings

> Hello Kevin,
>
> I just read the add on your site. It says NOT fully
> multi-coated, in other words, will your
> 20x90 offer significantly BETTER performance than the
> 25x100?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Diego
>
>
> --- Kevin Busarow wrote:
> > Hi Diego,
> > I have a Skymaster 25x100 here. The coatings on it
> > are exactly as shown on
> > the page I sent to you earlier. So yes, the
> > Oberwerk multi-coatings are
> > much superior. If you still think you might prefer
> > the Celestron, we'll
> > have it available in our "Specials and Close-Outs"
> > page later today.
> > Regards,
> > Kevin Busarow
> > www.bigbinoculars.com

The only Celestron models that come FMC are the Ultimas, much more expensive than the Skymaster.

Diego

#6 JDBraddy

JDBraddy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:26 PM

Here's the information I was given. My Burgess 25X100's recieved last July do appear to be fully multi coated. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Hello

The celestron 15x70 and 25x100s are not fully multi-coated. Mine ARE.
and have been since early last year.

Thanks,
Bill
Burgess Optical
865-769-8777

I doubt any of the Skymaster models are fully multi coated. I was about to buy the 25x100 advertised as multi coated. Still not convinced about these binos, I spoke to a Celestron technitian asking for more information about the coating and he told me they are multi coated on air to glass surfaces but not inside. I also asked about collimating them and they don't have user collimating screw either.

So I went with the Ober. 20x90 instead. Kevin had a Skymaster 25x100 for sale, which he purchased for evaluation. He makes clear notice that they are NOT FMC. I contacted him regarding the Celestrons, here's the response:

Hi Diego,
When I said the coatings on it are exactly as shown in the page I sent earlier:

http://www.oberwerk....ucts/mccomp.htm

I meant exactly like the "brand B" (Burgess). In other words, not very good. So yes, the Oberwerk 20x90, with it's excellent multi-coatings, would perform about as well as the larger Celestron- and it would be better than the Celestron in terms of contrast and ghosting on bright
objects.
Regards,
Kevin Busarow
www.bigbinoculars.com

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:44 PM

I suspected as much about the SkyMasters and their coatings, but it's still a great buy for those who prefer aperture over all else. I have an affinity for Oberwerk, so if I were to buy a new bino I would get their 20x90.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:57 AM

I current have a set of Bushnell 10x50's that I want to upgrade from. Would like a little more magnification but the extra light is what I really want. Would this be a good start? My kids are hogging our scope and I need something to do until it is available. I definitely like the price of these but wonder if it would be worth the extra to get something like the Ober 12x60 for around $109 plus shipping. Would they be worth twice the investment? Can the Skymaster be colliminated by me? I searched for a manual online with no luck.

Thanks, Ron

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:38 PM

Can anyone tell me - are there TWO versions of thse Celestron Skymasters doing the rounds ?

The only ones I can find available here in the UK are advertised as being FULLY multi-coated and the lowest price I've found them going for new is £99 ( around $180 US at current exchange rate) . This price does NOT include shipping.

In the US , these are advertised as being only MULTI-COATED
and when converted to pounds sterling , can be obtained for as little as around £38

Regards -- Kenny

So, no one has mentioned, and I do this with complete suppostition, but at this kind of a price difference, could it be that the for sale model is an older version.

Remember the difference between the older an newer Oberwerk 15x70s. The difference in the improved coatings on all surfaces improved performance remarkably.

It would appear to me the current Celestron 25x100 may (emphasize may) have two uncoated or nonMC surfaces inside. Of course that's just what it looks like from the outside. I will not be pulling up the covering to see if i can find screws.

Forever questioning quality,

edz

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:57 PM

Good point about the older version being discounted. But these have been on sale for over 3 months now. I would think the stock would have been cleared out by now figuring Amazon's volume. Would be nice to hear from someone that has received them recently.

Ron

#11 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:39 AM

I have compared quite a few of these 15x70's directly, as I had considered using them for an astronomy day program we offer, I would of needed to find one as cheap as possible, and purchase in thy massey. lol It turns out none of them have an I.D. short enough for this application. Heck they all barely work for me as I have a very short I.D.

Even the lowly Barska bino's have decent coatings, and perform extremely well. Skymasters hung right in there as well.

The Oberwerks were the best of them, and worth the price difference. But we are only talking about a critical scrutany of optics difference and only on some thing like Luna, tight brighter double stars, Venus, and Jupiter. On DSO viewing, anybody would be hard pressed to pick the better one in a blind test. I was lucky as an observing buddy owns the Oberwerks (the latest edition as of late last fall), so I didn't have to buy one of them, to evaluate it.
This is given good dark sky of course. In light pollution the quailty of baffling / contrast / ect..ect.. come much more into play, but I never really did comparisons in those observing conditions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics