•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interesting (?) Reflector Scope History

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to pass along a little scope history I ran across in an older issue of 'The Practical Observer'.

I have previously posted a picture of my Vernonscope 'Shoulderscope' 3" f6 RFT from the early 70's. The views are pretty good, too. Apparently the scope was made by Universal Precision in Shamokin Dam, PA for Vernonscope. I have learned that they also made most of the reflector mirrors for Vernonscope, Edmund Scientific and Criterion including the RV-6 Dynascope.

Hope this info is of use to those who like knowing these little tidbits.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 680108-Vernonscope 3 f6 RFT.JPG

#2 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hi All,

Just wanted to pass along a little scope history I ran across in an older issue of 'The Practical Observer'.

I have previously posted a picture of my Vernonscope 'Shoulderscope' 3" f6 RFT from the early 70's. The views are pretty good, too. Apparently the scope was made by Universal Precision in Shamokin Dam, PA for Vernonscope. I have learned that they also made most of the reflector mirrors for Vernonscope, Edmund Scientific and Criterion including the RV-6 Dynascope.

Keith

That's really neat, Keith!
I'd never heard of that scope before and wasn't aware Universal Precision made optics for those companies.
Thanks for all the info!!

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hi All,

Keith

I built a kit from Edmund that looked almost like the one in your post, back in 1973. Wow, it was fun.

#4 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:54 AM

I'd forgotten all about Vernonscope. They were fairly popular. You brought back another memory. Thanks Keith.
FAB

#5 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yeah...they don't do no scopes no more :bawling: , lots of EPs and filters though, plus a really good auction every couple of years.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics