•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

'79 CAVE 8" f/4.5 ALERT - UPDATE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:51 PM

As a follow-up to my earlier post concerning this scope that was offered on eBay:

I just received a confirmation notice from eBay Security confirming that the transaction was fraudulent.

Apparently the original seller was not involved or aware that someone had "hijacked" his ad and was privately soliciting buyers.

Fortunately I became suspcious before any money changed hands. Others have not been so fortunate.

I'm posting this to, hopefully, alert prospective buyers to
the prevalence of this type of fraud. The 'bad guys' are getting more and more sophisticated. I mean, who would suspect that a fraud attempt would be made with such an esoteric, non high-end, scope involved? And it was presented in such a believable manner. The transaction confirmation form looked to be an official eBay document!
The only clue that it wasn't legitimate was it's insistence that the money could only be forwarded by Western Union (something eBay does not require).

It certainly didn't have the obvious telltales of the Nigerian Bank Scam emails!
:grin:

#2 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:22 AM

That's too bad! It's getting more and more difficult to trust eBay as a source for safe and legitimate transactions. It's not their fault directly, but it's such a magnet for crooks and scoundrels. Sheesh... :ohgeeze:

#3 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

It is certainly important to keep one's eye's wide open when dealing with auctions. That said, I have engaged in at least 50 transactions on eBay over the years and never been "had".

#4 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

I had just been watching an auction for a 14 inch Cat scope (not vintage)- just because I keep an eye on big apertures. Several bidders with low or no feedback shot the price way up. The thing of interest here is that most of the iffy auctions FROM such characters on ebay, when dealing with astronomy equipment over the last months, is that they almost ALL have an unusually placed letter "j" in their screen names (sometimes a "y", so probably an Old World group, since j used for y sound in a couple of countries). And similarly for the apparent scam buyers.

This might indicate an organized effort, as well as a means for them to keep track of each other.

The scope in question had been up several times before with the same thing happening. I contacted the seller, and told him about my suspicions. I didn't want the scope (not into Cats). But interestingly I got mail the next day supposedly from the same fellow offering to sell me the scope anyway, involving money transfer to some odd account.

It may be that the people are much more deeply penetrated into ebay than anyone realizes- and can read supposedly private mailings. This would not be good. Hopefully just paranoia.

Jess Tauber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics