•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New ROR 10 X 14 Observatory

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#401 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winder, Ga

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:33 AM

Hello Zach,

I will measure the room once I get back home, but 4' 8" looks correct.  It is a little narrow so you have to select a desk that is not very wide, but as you can see from the picture, it's not too much of an issue.  I'm glad that I did not go too large with the warm room since my current iDK would have had been a little closer to the walls than I would have liked, making it difficult to get around the scope.  I think I found the right balance for my needs with the dimensions I settled on.  However, if I were a rather large person then the warm room would feel more cramped.  I'm 5' 11" 185 lbs.  

• zach540 likes this

#402 zach540

zach540

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:50 PM

Glen,

Thanks for the info!  It's greatly appreciated, I'm planning a 10x14 as well, also using the skyshed plans.

Thanks again,

Zach

• FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#403 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

Glen,
Whew!! I have finally reached the latest update on your 5 year project. Wow, what an accomplishment!!
Your entire facility, from the ground up, is an inspiration to all of us. Your design, execution,
and craftsmanship are first rate. Your observatory is a world-class amateur facility. I know
that you are in 7th heaven. This year marks the 16th anniversary of the construction of my
facility, and, like you, I continue to give thanks for it and enjoy it at every opportunity.
Congrats on a job WELL DONE!!!

Ron Abbott
  • FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#404 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

Thank you very much for the extremely gracious comments. I had a chance to look at your webpage and was thoroughly impressed with what I saw and read. Your observatory and warm room look to be ideal dimensions and the experiences you’ve had over the years are truly amazing. I wish I had your skies as well! Thank you again Ron, we are both truly blessed.

#405 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, Glen
Yes, we ARE both blessed. The first night I spent at my observatory, I kept thinking "why
didn't I build this a lot sooner!". I've had a lot of great experiences in the last 16 years
at the observatory. I wish you the same, my friend. Clear skies, steady tracking, and smooth
equipment operation to you.

Ron Abbott
  • FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#406 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

This has been a really fun read! It's an impressive build and great to see you getting the most out of it.  Thanks!

• FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#407 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Chris! Greatly appreciate it, and keep up the good work on building your observatory. It’s looking great!

• KennFromTX likes this

#408 mikehager

mikehager

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NC, U.S.A.

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

Congratulations Glenn, on the fine observatory and excellent documentation.  It has been useful to me in planning and building mine, still under construction.  If I may ask a followup question on your latest flooring, can you recall where you got it or if it's one of the choices in the big box hardware stores?  I like the looks of yours but someone had advised me to go with indoor/outdoor carpeting to mitigate against slipperiness from dew.  is that an issue for you?  I believe our Georgia and North Carolina humidities will be similar.  

• FOUNTAIN1 likes this

#409 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

Thank you Mike for the kind words. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your new Observatory! I will double check with the guys who installed it for me and reply back with an answer. (I think it came from Floor and Decor.) As for slipping when it’s damp, it seems pretty good to me as far as these type floors go. Carpet will most likely be more slip resistant, but it will also trap dirt and such which is what I wanted to avoid. With the type flooring I am using, one can walk straight inside with mud on their shoes, if they want to, and cleanup is quick and easy.

Since this new flooring has only been down in my Observatory for a few months I can’t speak to longevity yet, but it has withstood the summer like a champ. Looks as good as the day it was installed, and I don’t expect that to change. Good luck with your new construction; you will absolutely love the convenience!

• mikehager likes this

#410 FOUNTAIN1

FOUNTAIN1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:32 AM

Hey Mike,

Sorry it took so long to respond back with an answer.  It appears that the flooring he put in my building cannot be purchased directly from the public, but he did say that it is a vinyl laminate similar to what is offered at Floor and Décor.  It's not exactly the same but similar.  Hope that helps and good luck with your build.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics