•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are the new APMs worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
357 replies to this topic

#351 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I am also still owing my comparison between the Kowa Highlander and the new APMs. It's just so difficult to find a suitable target in the heavily light polluted Tokyo sky.
What would be a good test object? Maybe a close double star? What do you want me to look at? I am thankful for any suggestion.

Best regards
Heinz

#352 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Heinz,

for a comparo of the Kowa Highlander and the APM-100, good targets are the double stars Polaris A/B and Sirius A/B (both have very faint B companions).

Stephan

#353 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

You may firstly compare their day time performance. :cool:

#354 Prescott702

Prescott702

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

You may firstly compare their day time performance. :cool:

I second the motion :)

#355 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

On the first point I cannot say too much, I am sorry.

On the Nikon question I may say it depends. You will see these 2 products are priced very differently in Japan. The Nikon 5 is the cheaper one at 26000 yen while the pentax 3.5 is more than 30000. You may check that on Amazon.jp
And 26000 will translate into 250 dollars. I think you may consider ordering some from amazon japan. That's not a very tricky business. The Nav series surely won't let you down.

I just tried ordering the Nikon from Amazon.jp for delivery to a USA address. The order is refused due to:

Warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions prevent us from shipping certain products to all geographical locations.

Therefore I can't get the USD equivalent of $240 pricing on the Nikon NAV 5.  :(

---

Michael Mc

#356 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'll remind people in the US, that if you order something like a pair of Docters or the APO BT from APM, you'll pay a hefty customs fee after paying the shipping fees already.

There should be no US customs fee for binoculars. They are exempt. I went through this 2 years ago when I bought my Fuji 25x150 from someone in South America. As long as the box is clearly marked "Binoculars" there is no import duty.

Since when are binos exempt from US customs?  I thought dollar amount factors in.

#357 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

I'll remind people in the US, that if you order something like a pair of Docters or the APO BT from APM, you'll pay a hefty customs fee after paying the shipping fees already.

There should be no US customs fee for binoculars. They are exempt. I went through this 2 years ago when I bought my Fuji 25x150 from someone in South America. As long as the box is clearly marked "Binoculars" there is no import duty.

Since when are binos exempt from US customs?  I thought dollar amount factors in.

Attached Thumbnails

• binotarrif.gif

#358 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

I just tried ordering the Nikon from Amazon.jp for delivery to a USA address. The order is refused

Yes, unfortunately this is a big problem with Amazon :-(

Search for the Nikon NAV 5 at Ebay, there are several japanese sellers offering it, I got mine very cheap :-)

And while using Paypal you are having absolutely no risk there.

Regards Jochen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics