•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night 7 available

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
281 replies to this topic

#251 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Thank you Bill,

Yes am aware of that site, thats where I found out  the enthusist I had just downloaded did not support ascom LOL...  While I have you here,, So anything Starry Night is apple only and  Starry Skies is both.. I really really like my SN Pro 4...  On that support site, The one at the bottom is the ones for version 7 is for all versions 7??   Also how do you tell the difference between pro7 and pro 7+... I  may have misstated and said I have pro-7+, but Icon is just Pro 7..

Thank you,

Kasey

#252 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Well, we’re just days away from the 1st anniversary of the general release of Starry Nights v7 to the astronomy community. This is most likely a good point to assess the SN7Pro Plus program and Simulation Curriculums progress on giving their customers the program that was expected by the original purchasers.
I’m posting this in an effort to get a real discussion going on from users and not to illicit feedback from Simulation Curriculum, since they have stated they don’t monitor the CN thread on a regular basis.
I am disappointed in how slow the updates are coming in. It seems that we have to wait for huge updates, can’t updates be issued as issues are fixed? Perhaps I expect too much, I don’t program and don’t want to, I just want a program that I can use to help me in the observatory. What are others finding as to post release development progresses? Are you finding problems persisting or not. 
I may be expecting too much, but in the programs that I have downloaded in the past I never experienced this kind of disappointment in performance. What are the expectations of others?
Grey

#253 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

I feel your pain Grey.

I've purchased an upgrade to SNP7, not Pro+, as I have no need for the RealSky graphics, which I thought were pretty poor on my SN6 copy.  For the most part everything seems to work well for me, on both Win 10 and OS X Yosemite.  I have not tried scope control yet, as I have no reason to yet (see next paragraph).  But................................

I'm STILL waiting on the long ago promised v7.2 update with the Observing Logs.  This was advertised (falsely?) and supposed to be included in the purchase of v7.x, then later promised that it'll be out very very soon.  Yeah right...  Without the Observing Logs, the program is just another planetarium package, of which I've got several.  And it's not any better than any of the rest, even Stellarium has gained ground.  The whole purpose of getting the SN7 upgrade was to see how it will be able to compete with my copies of either SkyTools, or AstroPlanner/CdC.  So far it can't match the capabilities of either (esp SkyTools which is my main package, even on Mac).  Where are the Observing Logs?

#254 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Posted 3-5-15
I understand the delay on #2,,, but the issue with #4 is enough to make you want to chuck the whole thing, then combined with #1, its like wow, I would be getting with the program and fixing things LOL.... There is supposed to be a release coming out to fix some stuff
"
"What I found was
#1- when have messier objects in side pane and click on one and click info, it has about everything xcept the MAGNITUDE..... Also the info block that comes up only has about 1/4 of the picture of what the object looks like (its like its cut off or not enough space
given to display it)
#2- is there a list anywhere of like "tonight's best" (as in version 4),, Something very simple and say bare bones.. I don't have it right in front of me but working from memory i t seemed like it was broken down into all different categories on the Sky Guide side pa ne.... (I so wish I could have installed my SS Pro 4 on my Win 7 laptop LOL) Can I trade this in for simpler version ) :(

#4-This may already be addressed but at times the side pane goes off like a strobe light flashing like crazy when trying to type something for search,
Thank you, Kasey

#255 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

Okay, here's a new issue I had this morning.  I startup SN7 and find that my Default Home Location did not come up, as SN seems to want to keep defaulting back to "Internet Location" which itself isn't accurate, instead of recognizing and using my saved default home.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Or maybe there's yet another setting I haven't found which turns off GPS?  Why does SN7 keep trying to tell me how I'm supposed to want to view and use it?  It is NOT smarter.

Edited by jackofalltrades, 21 March 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#256 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

I tried using it last night but am so done with the flashing sidebar and when select info
on something the pic of it is cut down to about 1/4 the size... I have my I-pad with SSPro 4 next to me picking targets so can pull them up on SN Pro7 on my laptop??? What is wrong with this picture, LOL.... All I wanted was something simple that would connect to my
mount and slew to targets like my I-pad does with SS Pro-4... But the only download
available options were SN Pro7 or Pro 7+ with telescope driver options...
Something simple that works awesome and ya just gotta muck it up LOL... I know nothing of
software/ programing/ inerface/ etc so I do take my hat off to the designers and all
involved but may be just went a little overboard with the bells and whistles???
Kasey

#257 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Sputnik

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Why not get the cable or Wifi adapter and drive your scope with SS4pro from your iPad? I am impressed with that program... I am about to get the wifi kit from southern stars myself because it may be very useful over the wired hand controller of my lx90. Then I can free up my laptop for imaging!

Edited by Martin Bonadio, 21 March 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#258 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Agree, that's what I'm doing.  Since I got a tablet, and later an iPad, I don't even connect my computers to my scope or take them out into the field anymore.

#259 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

I used that before I got this laptop, the laptop has other options I need (video and assoc. programs with that and some other stuff) I was trying to get away with one laptop and not the I-pad... I think will see about refund on SN Pro-7 and just stick with I got..
Kasey

#260 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

I don't find the program to be so bad that it's not usable (at least for my purposes), but after a year I find there are still a lot of bugs.  One I discovered tonight is in the database...the close companion of Mizar is labeled Zeta Tucanae.  Also, the other night I changed my observing location to Kenton, OK and rather than going back a couple hours in time it jumped forward 6 hours!  

#261 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

I think when Imaginova sold SN to Simulation Cirriculum, they, Simulation Cirriculum, bit off more than they could chew. Rather than building a new program from the ground up, they did a partial re-build of SN6 while trying to put on a new face with SN7 and it is plagued with defects. They should'nt have released SN7 until it was running smoothly, and most likely, SN6 would have sold more copies as well.

It seems that even the beta testers (myself included) just gave up submitting incident reports. I check back to this forum to see if there is any enlightenment, but there isn't. Too bad.

Edited by RandallK, 25 March 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#262 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

After following this thread for the last couple of months I sure am happy that my SN6 pro does everything that I need. :whew:

Eric

#263 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

I just put in my request for a refund.. I hope they get it straightened out and resolve known issues at a faster pace... I just wanted my SS pro 4 to work on my windows laptop and would have been one happy camper LOL...
Kasey

#264 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Kasey,

Several of our customers have reported that the Android version of SkySafari runs quite well on Windows using the BlueStacks Android emulator.  Might be worth investigating.

#265 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

WOW thanks Bill,
Never heard of that before, just doing Google search on it now.. If you have this app, would my SS Pro 7 look and do the same as it does on my I-pad? Telescope control also?? I would be one happy camper if I could get a twin of SS Pro 4 on my laptop,
Kasey

#266 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

The Android version of SkySafari 4 is slightly different from the iOS version, but yes it would look very close to what you have on your iPad.  

I've been told that scope control does work when run this way, but I haven't tried it myself.  This is really an unsupported configuration and I'm just reporting what some customers have said on our Yahoo Group.

If you buy the Android version and find it doesn't work for you with BlueStacks, let me know and I'll get you a refund.

#267 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hey Bill,

I have the I-pad version.. I am not sure of all the terminoligy. But if I have the SS Pro 4 on my I-pad with Bluestacks I will need to get another version for my Laptop (windows) ?? I was thinking that with Bluestacks that it would just let my I-pad run on my laptop.... I thought SS was made for apple products only?? So if I load Bluestacks I would download the std version of SS Pro-4 onto my laptop??
Thank you, Kasey

#268 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:55 PM

SkySafari is available for iOS, Android and Mac.  BlueStacks only runs Android apps so you would need to buy the Android version for use with it.  It is a separate license from the iOS version.

#269 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

I guess if Simulation Curriculum doesn't want to discuss Starry Night v7 issues on this thread all they have to do is hijack it into a SkySafari thread.

Grey 

#270 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hey Bill,
Just a FYI, downloaded bluestacks and the SS Pro4 Android (same version as on my I-pad) and it all seems to work ok so far... Will have to wait to test telescope control.. Thank you for all your help..

Hey Greg, I was the one that sidetracked the thread and I apologize.. I am big time light in computer
matters.. I had been commenting about SN-7 (which I have) and Bill just helped me out with something
to address my lack of skills and knowledge on tech matters (which I am indebted for).. Thank you Bill
and I apologize to you Greg,

Kasey

#271 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Kasey

No problem it is just if SkySafari had its own thread it would simplify things.

Grey

#272 stringbeans

stringbeans

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

um,..is SN7 still being supported?

#273 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

Most certainly.  Supported and still actively developed.  Why do you ask?

#274 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Apollo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Most certainly.  Supported and still actively developed.  Why do you ask?

Just speaking for myself, I tried to install it on my Windows 7 64 PC, and received a message that it wouldn't install on that particular OS. However, it installed on my laptop just fine, even though it has the same OS. When I called Simulation Curriculum this morning, the tech there said the problem was my graphics card, so I updated the driver. I still received the same message.

Any ideas?

PS: I posted this question in a separate thread, so if this against house rules, the admin can delete this post. However, I would appreciate any help I can get on this problem.

Thanks again,

Roy

#275 starcruzer

starcruzer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

I do know that the flashing side panel is a known problem and will be fixed in a mid-March release.

.............Hmmm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics