•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night 7 available

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
281 replies to this topic

#76 jhighfield

jhighfield

Vostok 1

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I bought the upgrade the first day and I hate it.
The interface has gone to a very Windows 8 touch and feel with oversized menus and controls.
It looks as If it was designed with a touch interface which is much worse in both visual and easy of use to the computer mouse keyboard user.

One feature I really Miss from V6 is the ability to have the time and sky rotate by swiping the touch pad on my MAC.

Did I mention the menus take up too much screen real-estate? I guess If using a touch pad this would be OK but I won't be giving up my SN6 Pro plus any time soon!

#77 jhighfield

jhighfield

Vostok 1

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

So SN6 remains the stalwart.

I couldn't agree more. SN6 is light years ahead of SN7 in both usability and features.
IMO SN7 is like a cheap tablet program that one would expect to download for their iPhone.
I have been a Starry Night user since 4.5. Since then, buying upgrades and new versions was just automatic.
Unfortunately due to past history of loving this product, I again paid for the upgrade before actually looking at it. NO MORE!

#78 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Strange, as the menu's don't feel at all oversized on my Windows machine, and the right panel/search pane can be readily hidden when not required. Menu bar at top of screen is on par with other Windows apps. Is the interface that much different between the MAC and Windows versions?

Also, the 25% off offer has returned and is good through June 15. I suppose that's they're concession for those who buy while the program is still in beta testing :crazy:

I find the program usable, but sure wish they would fix the problem I'm having with the all sky image always coming back...whenever I need to zoom in on a target to see a star field that resembles what I see in the scope from home I need to switch to Stellarium. That's getting old...(and yes, I tried changing the graphics settings in both SN7 and on my computer...no change in SN7's behavior... sigh)

#79 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Are provisions being made to return the log feature back into SNP7? The feature didn't make it into the latest update. The info labels are much easier to deal with thanks. You are making progress.
Be Well
Grey

#80 StarryNightGuy

StarryNightGuy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum Corp.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

...sure wish they would fix the problem I'm having with the all sky image always coming back...

I've fixed a few bugs relating to the AllSky image in the latest (7.0.3) update, but I'm sure I understand the issue you're referring to above. If you can describe the problem in detail (what you expect/want to happen vs. what actually happens) I'd love to fix it for you.

You can reply here, send me a PM, or submit a ticket to our support site (but I'd recommend coming straight to the source, me.)

- Dave

#81 StarryNightGuy

StarryNightGuy

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Grey,

Thanks! We really want the new logging feature to be great, and so are taking a bit more time with it than people might like. I'm sorry for that.

If you have a suggestion for this (or any other feature) I'd love to hear it. You can send me a PM or submit a ticket to our support site.

- Dave

#82 StarryNightGuy

StarryNightGuy

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Just wanted to note here that these bugs have been fixed (version 7.0.2).

#83 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi Grey,

The logbook will definitely be back! we want to implement the open astronomy log schema so that you can more easily share logs between observers and even other astronomy programs. Deep-Sky Planner already supports it and we hope others will too. We feel this data should be interchangeable. We supported something similar for telescope control with the grant we gave to ASCOM to make that initiative a reality.

Pedro

#84 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I got the email too, I think I will wait for version 8 next year. I bought 6 Pro and still haven't figured it all out yet

#85 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Actually, I already submitted a ticket to the support site (along with a requested video showing the behavior). I haven't had a chance to download the latest update (saw that it was available yesterday). I'll give it a try tonight and report back here. Basically what's happening is that I have the all sky image turned off, but the minute I click on something that causes the screen to refresh (zoom, labels on or off, etc) the all sky image pops right back on, even though it's still set to off in preferences.

#86 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Just now downloaded the update. No change in the behavior of the CCD sky image, still having the same problem. I'm also still unable to export observing lists. Tried exporting the list as a text file, but no file created (tried running under both my regular login, which is an administrative login and also running the program as "administrator". No list created.

#87 jhighfield

jhighfield

Vostok 1

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

SN7 Pro Plus version 7.03 does not save downloaded stars on OSX.
I have systematically tested this.
I am running OSX 10.9.2
I have it set to download stars.
They do download but only memory usage increases.
After about 15 minutes of downloading files SN7 will crash.
Even if I do quit the App before the crash disk space usage never increases.

SN6 Pro Plus still works correctly when downloading stars.

#88 jhighfield

jhighfield

Vostok 1

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

As a further test of the download stars feature.. I reset Stars Cache and reset to factory default. No help.

#89 Denimsky

Denimsky

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

Could someone tell me how many computers I can install SN7 pro plus?
I need to install it both on my laptop and desktop.
Do I need to purchase two copies (download version)?

Thank you.

#90 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

You are allowed to install SNPP on up to 3 computers.

#91 jhighfield

jhighfield

Vostok 1

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

I compared file permissions of SN6 vs SN7 to see if they were different, while trying to determine the problem as to why Stars would not save when after being downloaded.
On SN6 the files were owned by me with group of admin.
On SN7 the files were owned by root with a group of admin

I ran chown -R jhighfield:admin against the files and took ownership.
It did not help.

Edit:
After searching throughout the file system I found the Streaming data files
They were located in /Users/jhighfield/Library/Application Support/Simulation Curriculum/Starry Night Prefs etc.
I did a repair permissions on the drive and the files started being saved.

I will further test to see if the crashing problem goes away...

#92 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

I just cannot imagine spending $190-250 on Starry Night when Sky Safari is a superb program for much, much less (what? $20-30 for the Plus?). Of course, the key is whether the program offers something absolutely essential that another one doesn't have. Not sure what that would be...

I have SN6 and wouldn't buy SN7 in a million light-years! :-)

#93 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

any updates on future updates?
Grey

#94 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

They sent me an email saying that 7.04 was coming soon and would address the bug that prevents exporting observing lists. (I did finally resolve the all sky problem I was having...turns out that problem was on my end...case of operator error :foreheadslap:

#95 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well, I purchased it as an upgrade in the Pro for what I consider a good price. I'll see how it goes.

#96 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Jay good luck! Hope you share your thoughts on it with us.
Be Well
Grey

#97 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

It's gone very very quite over on the Starry Night Support pages on Yahoo Groups. No reports of further bugs or errors for a while now. Anyone know what the latest is? Is SN7 getting up to scratch now? I can't remember how many bugs still need addressing so let's hope 7.04 sorts most of it out. I do already have SN7 but that's only because of the generous discount they offered me when they released it but because of the all the initial problems with it, I'm still using my trusty SN6.

#98 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

I still have SN6 running but I've been pleased so far with SN7. I have an issue with my local time being automatically updated, it seems to run 7 hours ahead. I am sure that is just me. I've added all of my equipment in and will be trying to import a few observing lists and creating a new one. The positives are the interface is close enough to SN6 that using it is no biggie, a relative easy transition for me. I like the improved look which is a cosmetic look. The big time will come in a week or so as we enter into what I call the new moon period when I tend to do a lot of my observing. That is when I will find out if the $65 I spent to upgrade to the Pro version was worth it to me. So more to come but so far nothing glaring. Glad I waited a little before adapting, which I usually do as it lets the bugs be worked out.

Edit: I also have to figure out how to let the sun on and then have the sun fade away like in SN6.

#99 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but the new update has been released. According to SN, here's the list of what they've fixed:

7.0.4 Release Notes

New Features and Data
- Simple Movie Export (File > Export As... > Movie)
- New Planet Surface Textures.
- Basic support for opening SkySafari ".skyset" settings files.
- Fixed and updated Exoplanets library. From 300+ to 1800+ planets!

Bug Fixes
- Can again add Barlows/FocalReducers to Telescope FOVs.
- Month names in toolbar no longer cropped when opening a file.
- Equipment List items draw correct color after selection.
- "Magnify" planet sliders have returned.
- Fixed Plutos position in sky.
- Creating new observing lists was sometimes broken. Now fixed.
- Constellation Selector tool cursor icon fixed.
- Planets no longer "shift/twitch" with time stopped when selecting/de-selecting.
- Fixed export of observing lists.
- Favorites menu items no longer disappear after opening Prefs window.
- Grid Labels now respect screen UI.
- Planet Location Marker labels now drawing properly.
- Rectangular FOVs width/height fixed.
- Rectangular FOVs larger than 90 degrees now draw properly.
- HUD text descriptions now correctly truncated to width.
- Multiple string encoding and display issues fixed.
- Dozens of other small bugs and crashes.

Nice to see that they keep working on it to get things fixed...

#100 caheaton

caheaton

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hmmm, with this fix they've introduced what seems to be a new bug. When you go to open your saved *.snf files, they don't show up. Only folders are displayed. I have to manually type in the file name and click open for it to load.

At least the exporting of observing lists works, but I can't say I care much for the way the list is formatted. I've attached a sample which illustrates what I mean (though it could possibly be imported into a spreadsheet as a space deliminated file and then cleaned up a bit from there).

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics