•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Old Meade Comet Tracker 622

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

I recently acquired a old Meade CometTracker. In case anyone was wondering, it was Meade's answer to the Celestron Comet Catcher. Both having similar diameters, focal lengths, and ratios.
My particular unit has well corrected optics. However mechanically and cosmetically it doesn't stack up with my Comet Catcher. In fact the old Meade R&P focuser is nearly unusable, even with degreasing and a Super Lube treatment.
I want to improve this Comet Tracker. collectable I hate to modify it since it's much rare than the Comet Catcher, however without a mod I find it unusable. Any hints and suggestions? I'm thinking of a better R&P or a crayford.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

Picture

Attached Thumbnails

• 684259-IMG_0037.JPG

#3 Derwin Skotch

Derwin Skotch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

Wow, somebody else out there has one of these!
My focuser isn't great but it works OK (I've never done anything with the lube). With the very low profile of the focuser and the short focal length, I find it has a lot of image shift if extended a lot. What's the problem with yours?

Attached Thumbnails

• 685865-2005-11-13_21-43-20.JPG

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:12 PM

IMHO I don't think you can hurt the value of the instrument if your mods are reversable and you save the parts for resale.

Keith

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

The focuser is usable but I'm afraid of the future when I will mount a camera on it and will shoot nothing but out of focused shots. Also the previous owner didn't disclose to me the modifications that was done to the scope. May I see some pictures of your finder and primary mirror cell? Thanks. And nice too see someone have a Cometacker.

#6 Derwin Skotch

Derwin Skotch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

My scope didn't come with a finder. I bought it as an optical tube assembly only. One thing that helps for photography is that when a camera is attached with the correct adapter, the focuser is extended a very small amount when focused at infinity. This minimizes problems with image shift that can be a problem with the focuser extended a lot. You will find the focus very sensitive due to the 3.6 focal ratio. A set of larger knobs would be nice.

Attached Thumbnails

• 690141-2005-11-16_18-36-20.JPG

#7 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

The 622 was offered by Meade as an OTA only and the focuser was set for camera focus. In order to use it visually, you need an extension tube. This scope is capable of producing excellent images if you take care with the collimation and focus.

#8 Derwin Skotch

Derwin Skotch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

I you look at the first picture I sent you can see the adapter/extension tube that allows focus with 1 1/4" eyepieces. Even with that, my 4.7 mm Meade Ultrawide needs to be pulled out a bit to achieve focus.

Collimation on this scope is critical for good performance and a bit interesting. Due to the diagonal mirror being offset as much as it is (as it should be), out of focus star diffraction patterns are symmetrical only when very close to focus. As you move further from focus the shadow of the secondary is off center.

Here's a picture I took through the scope some time ago with a 35 mm camera at prime focus. I think it was around a 15 minute exposure on 400 film.

Attached Thumbnails

• 690365-Pleadies.jpg

#9 Alfred Krause

Alfred Krause

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Dear DannyBek:
By this time this will probably be ancient history, but a simple reversible visual fix for the balky focuser might be one of the 2-inch to 1.25 helical focuser adapters that Orion sells for about $45.00.

Alfred Krause

#10 stevecoe

stevecoe

Astronomical Tourist

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

In my astronomy club, Chris Schur has taken some excellent photos with his comet tracker. No, they are not as good as a Schmidt Camera, but much easier to use and provide good results.

clear Skies;
Steve Coe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics