•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Split Bahtinov Mask for the HyperStar+DLSR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

A few folks asked me a while back to post some pictures of the split Bahtinov mask I was making for use with my C14/HyperStar adapter. I finally got it assembled as shown in the attached photo. I don't normally use a dew shield so last fall I made a Bahtinov with a hole in it to use with the HyperStar. It works really well…except that I have to remove the camera every time I focus and that's a big problem. So I designed this hinged version and made it out of laser cut, 3 mm thick, black acrylic. I used nylon hardware to fasten it together so that it won't scratch up my scope or be too heavy. I bonded some of the cut-out plastic scraps along the seam to prevent stray light from getting through the split and to keep the thin plastic from flopping around too much when it's on the scope. This one will work fine but I couldn't resist making another one out of 4.5 mm thick material to make it just a bit sturdier. Now I can focus without touching the camera. That will make it a LOT easier to periodically check the focus during an imaging session.
John

PS I'm not completely finished with this thing but when I am, I might be willing to make more of these things for anyone who wants one and who doesn't want to figure out the laser cutting process. I'm not really looking to start a business at it but you can PM me and I'll tell you what it would take. I could probably run a batch of them if there is enough interest.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6451589-Split Bahtinov.jpg

#2 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Very cool design, John - I'm impressed!

#3 m1618

m1618

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

I just pressed the virtual Like button.
:)

#4 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Gosh, man! That's spiff! I will definitely fork some bucks out if you'll make one for my 11".

Envious Jim (in Boulder)

#5 svenop

svenop

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

Patent this

Before its stolen

Great creation

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics