•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sony A7s - New Low-Light Camera - Wow!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
698 replies to this topic

#401 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

Todd,

You're right, real video isn't needed for EAA viewing but it's a nice default capability that makes working with the camera in real time very easy. I don't see it as crippling the A7s but it's certainly not the be all and end all of using the camera. The A7s can obviously do more than real video for EAA type of viewing but so far it appears that the software is the limiting factor. I agree 100% with your desire to see the workflow, as many folks know (and are probably tired of me saying) this is a pet peeve of mine for many of the images presented here in this forum

I don't know if I'm really representative of a "typical" (whatever the heck that is) EAA viewer but I want to be able to easily view images as they come from the camera. I don't want delays in presenting the images (but understand the issues of large amounts of data on USB2 interfaces). I would like to adjust the images for brightness and contrast and perhaps some color (individual color histogram control for example). I want to be able to adjust the exposure length and perhaps the gain of the camera. I want all those capabilities on the screen at the same time, I don't like to go hunting for stuff in various menus. I simply want the images coming off the camera to get as close to the simplicity of live viewing at the eyepiece as possible (a few mouse clicks are ok as well) ... it comes down to viewing over manipulating. I also want to occasionally capture what I see on the screen, but I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time capturing and managing various images to create pretty pictures.

The fundamental problem is that software that fulfills my needs is very rare. It has normally only been associated with astronomy oriented video cameras but something like the Starlight Xpress Live software also appears to meet my needs with a USB connected imaging oriented camera. So far I don't see anything similar for the A7s ... but something like BYEOS appears to be a step in that direction for DSLRs, so perhaps there's hope. The other direction is the AstroLive software you mentioned that started out on video cameras but has been designed from the outset to handle a much wider variety of cameras. Kyle's software certainly also gives me hope ... but I too wonder about the business model (the amount of work to add new camera support vs. the revenue it generates).

So simply put I love the technology of the A7s (I really hope it soon drives lots of similar but lower priced alternatives) but beyond an expensive and impressive video configuration I don't see the whole package (camera and control/display software) being appropriate for my type of EAA viewing ... yet.

Edited by mclewis1, 22 September 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#402 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

Does anyone know if Sony has or will publish the SDK for the camera?  Canon has long been the favorite for AP work as it made the SDK available to programmers.  Guylain at BYEOS was able to get Backyard NIK going once Nikon followed suit, many years later after Canon.

My take is until Sony makes the SDK available, programmers will be left out in the cold, and I hope that doesn't happen.

Andy

#403 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

https://developer.so...evelop/cameras/

Here's an app that is close to what we are waiting for.

https://www.playmemo...09014_00-000003

#404 chasing photons

chasing photons

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

... I simply want the images coming off the camera to get as close to the simplicity of live viewing at the eyepiece as possible (a few mouse clicks are ok as well) ... it comes down to viewing over manipulating. I also want to occasionally capture what I see on the screen, but I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time capturing and managing various images to create pretty pictures ... So simply put I love the technology of the A7s (I really hope it soon drives lots of similar but lower priced alternatives) ...

If it takes a few button clicks to get results like the Sony A7S images at the link below, I’ll happily click my brains out all night long!

If you haven’t seen these single, unprocessed jpeg images of DSOs from an unmodded Sony A7S, you should really take a look. Some are posted in the thread and more are available in the link to the photo album at the beginning of the thread. Very nice images indeed! One might… dare I say… almost call them pretty.

http://www.cloudynig...-from-sony-a7s/

Maybe if Sony eventually recognizes what a hit the A7S (or a similar future camera model) could potentially be with the, albeit limited, astrophotography crowd, a firmware update or other, more astro friendly camera models, may see the dark of night.  :smile:

#405 Chris A

Chris A

Vendor Affiliate - Mallincam

• -----

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

... I simply want the images coming off the camera to get as close to the simplicity of live viewing at the eyepiece as possible (a few mouse clicks are ok as well) ... it comes down to viewing over manipulating. I also want to occasionally capture what I see on the screen, but I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time capturing and managing various images to create pretty pictures ... So simply put I love the technology of the A7s (I really hope it soon drives lots of similar but lower priced alternatives) ...

If it takes a few button clicks to get results like the Sony A7S images at the link below, I’ll happily click my brains out all night long!

If you haven’t seen these single, unprocessed jpeg images of DSOs from an unmodded Sony A7S, you should really take a look. Some are posted in the thread and more are available in the link to the photo album at the beginning of the thread. Very nice images indeed! One might… dare I say… almost call them pretty.

http://www.cloudynig...-from-sony-a7s/

Maybe if Sony eventually recognizes what a hit the A7S (or a similar future camera model) could potentially be with the, albeit limited, astrophotography crowd, a firmware update or other, more astro friendly camera models, may see the dark of night.  :smile:

Todd, I am really anxious to see Mark from Temecula broadcast live on NSN some of the common faint DSO's esp. now that he had his A7S modified with a proper astrophotography filter.

Chris

#406 chasing photons

chasing photons

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

Todd, I am really anxious to see Mark from Temecula broadcast live on NSN some of the common faint DSO's esp. now that he had his A7S modified with a proper astrophotography filter.

Chris

Chris,

Wow!  I hope I can catch some of the broadcasts.  That would be very interesting to view.  Thank you for the heads-up.

#407 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

I've seen some of Marks broadcasts, and I think the potential is there, but as has been stated here there is the hard 1/4 sec limitation for video, and a satisfactory method to transmit longer exposures than that is bieng worked on. This is a new camera after all. Hopefully I'll be able to have a budget for one myself soon.

#408 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

It would be helpful to the community, if one of you, who can watch NSN, asked Mark whom did he get to modify his A7S. And possibly take a couple of screen shots with his permission and post them here. Not everyone can watch NSN for reasons of living in different time zones, work or family reasons etc.

Thank you,
--Dom

#409 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

I suppose the A7S has another advantage which hasn't been discussed yet.

Due to the large pixels of the A7S the optical aberrations (e.g. coma, etc.) of the telescopes will be less visible in the images taken with this camera and so there will be less need for a better corrected scopes compared to a DSLR/CCD with 4um pixels.

What do you think?

#410 RandyC

RandyC

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

The EAA forum is for observing users. I am not sure why they moved the "Various DSOs with A7s" thread to DSLR. Everything I've seen in the DSLR forum is done at ISO 800-1200. That gain level is used because the signal to noise ratio forces one to stack at low ISO. The A7s has extremely low noise which is partially due to its larger pixels. This allows good images at ISO all the way up to 36000 or so. Certainly a 30second image is EAA effort and that's what we're seeing with this camera. I might be bold to try something at about 60seconds. Any anything up to several minutes should be EAA. This camera can use gain (called ISO in the DSLR world) to shorten exposures. Use of gain is a mindblowing revelation in astronomical imaging. http://legault.perso...lecture_a7s.jpg

#411 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

While I can't speak for the power's that be (moderators) I have a few observations and comments ...

- EAA viewing or observing isn't just about the length of the exposures, just like it isn't about the specific camera technology. Some folks will only work at shorter exposures, others are ok with longer ones. Shorter exposures from ever increasingly more sensitive cameras is always a good thing, but that extra speed on it's own doesn't make for an effective EAA setup.

- EAA is more about what you are doing with the image coming off of the camera. The ease of viewing that image created by the camera is the goal.

-  To me it appeared that most of the great images that were being posted from the A7s were taken to be presented as processed images and not viewed live. 

- I see incredible potential in the A7s (and similar new technologies) for EAA viewing/observing. It's just that the software currently available to handle the A7s is designed more to just capture images rather than to also display images. That seems to make the use of the camera and it's images more in line with how most folks currently use DSLRs. 

- It would be great to see more different camera users (especially those with the more sensitive later DSLR and mirrorless models) posting about their EAA viewing/observing experiences here (videos, live viewing captures, general observations, etc.).

#412 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

The "Various DSO's unprocessed from Sony A7S" contained unprocessed shots made with the Sony A7S camera. They were presented with the intention to demonstrate the raw power and potential of this new camera. In my opinion, they were fully within the scope of "Electronically Assisted Astronomy" as part of the broader "Equipment Discussion" forum group.

I have just checked on the moved thread. There has been no posts added since it was moved to the "DSLR and Digital camera Imaging and Processing" forum. Obviously, the Imaging/Processing crowd has little interest in raw unprocessed shots.

--Dom

#413 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

While I can't speak for the power's that be (moderators) I have a few observations and comments ...

- EAA viewing or observing isn't just about the length of the exposures, just like it isn't about the specific camera technology. Some folks will only work at shorter exposures, others are ok with longer ones. Shorter exposures from ever increasingly more sensitive cameras is always a good thing, but that extra speed on it's own doesn't make for an effective EAA setup.

- EAA is more about what you are doing with the image coming off of the camera. The ease of viewing that image created by the camera is the goal.

-  To me it appeared that most of the great images that were being posted from the A7s were taken to be presented as processed images and not viewed live. 

- I see incredible potential in the A7s (and similar new technologies) for EAA viewing/observing. It's just that the software currently available to handle the A7s is designed more to just capture images rather than to also display images. That seems to make the use of the camera and it's images more in line with how most folks currently use DSLRs. 

- It would be great to see more different camera users (especially those with the more sensitive later DSLR and mirrorless models) posting about their EAA viewing/observing experiences here (videos, live viewing captures, general observations, etc.).

I agree Mark, if there's a question on Mods actions they should be directly approached, and I think one is just putting this thread in danger of being locked by discussing another thread mod action here.

In terms of the A7s, it's currently used as an EAA device, as evidenced by some NSN broadcasts. It's a new camera and we are all hopeful for it to get some support (like Kyle did for USB ASCOM cameras) for easier EAA use. If I had the budget at this time I'd already own the camera and I have NO interest in imaging. This camera has the potential to do what I have been waiting for in term of higher resolution low light performance. The A7s has proven that it can do much better than the human eye at 1/4 second already and that's what EAA is about IMO. It doesn't matter much to me that there may be technologies that go deeper, they also have their downsides (lower resolution). The main issue I see with this particular thread is some insist on talking about imaging techniques and how they get better results with them. Those particular posts should probably be looked at by the mods, or the poster warned, but the entire thread shouldn't suffer.

#414 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

I suppose the A7S has another advantage which hasn't been discussed yet.

Due to the large pixels of the A7S the optical aberrations (e.g. coma, etc.) of the telescopes will be less visible in the images taken with this camera and so there will be less need for a better corrected scopes compared to a DSLR/CCD with 4um pixels.

What do you think?

If you mean the A7S has lower resolution, then you're probably correct in this; however, I haven't found much difference between the A7R and A7S WRT to coma, chromatic aberration(s), etc. when images are compared on the same image size.  A good lens/scope is required with either camera if you're planning on capturing good image quality.  

bwa

#415 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

The EAA forum is for observing users. I am not sure why they moved the "Various DSOs with A7s" thread to DSLR. Everything I've seen in the DSLR forum is done at ISO 800-1200. That gain level is used because the signal to noise ratio forces one to stack at low ISO. The A7s has extremely low noise which is partially due to its larger pixels. This allows good images at ISO all the way up to 36000 or so. Certainly a 30second image is EAA effort and that's what we're seeing with this camera. I might be bold to try something at about 60seconds. Any anything up to several minutes should be EAA. This camera can use gain (called ISO in the DSLR world) to shorten exposures. Use of gain is a mindblowing revelation in astronomical imaging. http://legault.perso...lecture_a7s.jpg

The title of the this thread "Sony A7s - New Low-Light Camera - Wow!" doesn't exactly limit it to those interested solely in EAA.  

- I love the A7S (and A7R) for the subs they can capture for stacking and creation of "pretty" pictures.  This my main usage of the A7S and A7R.

- With the bandwidth of my internet I have no possibility (or desire) to view or publish on NSN.  

- I do, however, love to use a fairly fast lens/scope, multi-frame noise reduction (MFNR), a high ISO with 30sec exposures, and display the output to a hires monitor for an evening of roaming the heavens.

As for gain, you're 100% correct.  Most dedicated astronomy camera don't even allow you to change the gain; whereas, on a DSLR/mirrorless camera you can push the ISO/gain to ridiculously high levels and get a viewable picture which I did for the duration of a star party I attended last weekend.  Some of the results are simply one MFNR image, some are several aligned and stacked MFNR images.  All were quite acceptable results (at least to me) after a bit of postprocessing...

The A7S and A7R have the potential both EAA and astro-imaging.  They really have a foot in both camps.  Saying this discussion should be in one camp or the other doesn't accomplish much.

#416 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

My understanding is that any thread in this forum, and subsequently the posts that consist of the thread shall be EAA related, I'm sure a Mod can clarify the rules if needed, and suggest contacting them. There are way more participants in the imaging forums, and I'm sure a separate thread can be created or found there with regards to imaging specific topics. Please understand, if I'm sounding overly sensitive it's because this forum has had very negative issues with where the line between imaging and EAA is in the past, and I feel it would be a big loss if this particular thread were locked. For EAA, although encouraged by those of us that participate (I'd rather others do the hard work lol), NSN participation is of course not required! In your particular case, I'd like to hear about the way you use the camera for various EAA type activities. I have no problem that EAA is of secondary interest for you, but telling us here that the image is better if we stack a bunch isn't really relevant IMO, since it's admittedly imaging, and most of us know that and are not really interested in taking the time or doing imaging, if we did we would be looking over in the imaging forums.

So in the interest of keeping the thread I ask seriously, how can we make the A7s even better for EAA? I've already asked the author of BYEOS and he said not at this time. What about the DSS observer tool, anyone have any luck? Isn't a 17 page thread obvious enough that there is a demand here?

#417 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

My understanding is that any thread in this forum, and subsequently the posts that consist of the thread shall be EAA related, I'm sure a Mod can clarify the rules if needed, and suggest contacting them. There are way more participants in the imaging forums, and I'm sure a separate thread can be created or found there with regards to imaging specific topics. Please understand, if I'm sounding overly sensitive it's because this forum has had very negative issues with where the line between imaging and EAA is in the past, and I feel it would be a big loss if this particular thread were locked. For EAA, although encouraged by those of us that participate (I'd rather others do the hard work lol), NSN participation is of course not required! In your particular case, I'd like to hear about the way you use the camera for various EAA type activities. I have no problem that EAA is of secondary interest for you, but telling us here that the image is better if we stack a bunch isn't really relevant IMO, since it's admittedly imaging, and most of us know that and are not really interested in taking the time or doing imaging, if we did we would be looking over in the imaging forums.

So in the interest of keeping the thread I ask seriously, how can we make the A7s even better for EAA? I've already asked the author of BYEOS and he said not at this time. What about the DSS observer tool, anyone have any luck? Isn't a 17 page thread obvious enough that there is a demand here?

Well then, I guess it is goodbye EAA forum... :(

With a camera as versatile as the A7S (and A7R) it is very difficult to differentiate between EAA and astro-imaging; I use them for both with good success, i.e.: is a 30sec image @ ISO12800 w/ multi-frame noise reduction turned on EAA or an astro-image?  It is a relatively short exposure probably putting it in the realm of EAA but multi-frame noise reduction is truly (in-camera) alignment and stacking making it an astro-image.  So, if I only shoot one image, which I often did over the past weekend, I'm in the realm of EAA.  If I'm happy with results from this one image, its an astro-image.  Confuses the heck out of me!

bwa

#418 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Brian,

The 30 sec unprocessed images that you have been posting here are perfect examples of Electronically Assisted Astronomy to me. I could see more detail and less noise on them than on any video camera image ever. And 30 sec exposure is shorter (nearer-to-live) than most of those that are posted on the pinned thread "Video Astronomy Image Gallery" at the top of the forum page.

There was no indication from moderators that they were considering to close this thread because your images weren't associated with NSN. Individual forum members can have their own mindsets or agendas but that doesn't make them moderators, administrators or not even representatives of the majority of the participants of this forum.

Please don't be misled by a single post by one forum member. There are many of us, who are very interested in the capabilities of the Sony A7S. It represents an significant step forward for electronically assisted astronomy equipment.

--Dom

#419 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

With a camera as versatile as the A7S (and A7R) it is very difficult to differentiate between EAA and astro-imaging; I use them for both with good success, i.e.: is a 30sec image @ ISO12800 w/ multi-frame noise reduction turned on EAA or an astro-image?  It is a relatively short exposure probably putting it in the realm of EAA but multi-frame noise reduction is truly (in-camera) alignment and stacking making it an astro-image.  So, if I only shoot one image, which I often did over the past weekend, I'm in the realm of EAA.  If I'm happy with results from this one image, its an astro-image.  Confuses the heck out of me!

bwa

bwa, we need owners of A7s, even if EAA is a secondary use case for them, to participate, since at this time there are not that many. Some may dismiss the A7s for EAA because it's new, but don't be dissuaded to discuss it's EAA capabilities here. From what I've seen in your posts you do sometimes discuss imaging type point of view like in post 365 of this thread when you discussed stacking 30-50 subs:

http://www.cloudynig...15#entry6201984

and you indicate your strongly worded preference for imaging activities like in post 358:

"

Summing up.  I personally don't like the image quality off the Mallincam Xtreme or from single subs off the A7S or A7R.  I believe the only way to generate good quality astro-images is to collect as many subs of your target as possible then align, stack and process them into a high quality final image.  However, if you're into astro-video, go for it!  If you're happy with the quality of a single sub off any camera, go for it!

Just my thoughts...

bwa

"

http://www.cloudynig...15#entry6201984.

That said, there is nothing wrong that you have that preference, and I understand how the dividing line can be confusing. I'm sure if you have a question a mod will answer if asked. Myself I would like to hear more about the EAA activities you've been able to engage in using the A7s.

#420 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

Recent development on this thread is adding ripples to this peaceful pond. May I suggest we all a bit accomodating. We all know all technologies we are using are not perfect and yet we don't tease the one specific method we are familiar with.

Case in point, do you understand that the so called "stacking" some tried to poke fun or even further ban it also happens elsewhere. E.g., in a vodeocam, when you set 3D-DNR in the MENU to be on (say 5) , do you want to guess what it is doing?

There are many instances like that.
Please be kind to you fellow EAA-zens.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#421 RandyC

RandyC

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

I am being as kind as can be considering astronomical imaging has been held back for decades. I saw better images of Saturn and Jupiter in the 1980s with Viking than seen since despite billions in space spending. Now how does that translate to imaging, I'll tell you how: expensive CCD cameras, all have been made with no gain control. Not to mention all the other disinformation campaigns associated with equipment boondoggles. Finally, Sony broke through the price point barrier to make high quality, fast imaging available to the consumer. Even mainstream photographers say it broke the pack. You can't blame the commercial sector as greed only adds to the sloth, although it's not the cause of it. 

But I think we're starting to have fun.

#422 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

bwa

bwa, we need owners of A7s, even if EAA is a secondary use case for them, to participate, since at this time there are not that many. Some may dismiss the A7s for EAA because it's new, but don't be dissuaded to discuss it's EAA capabilities here. From what I've seen in your posts you do sometimes discuss imaging type point of view like in post 365 of this thread when you discussed stacking 30-50 subs:

http://www.cloudynig...15#entry6201984

and you indicate your strongly worded preference for imaging activities like in post 358:

"Summing up.  I personally don't like the image quality off the Mallincam Xtreme or from single subs off the A7S or A7R.  I believe the only way to generate good quality astro-images is to collect as many subs of your target as possible then align, stack and process them into a high quality final image.  However, if you're into astro-video, go for it!  If you're happy with the quality of a single sub off any camera, go for it!

Just my thoughts...

bwa"

http://www.cloudynig...15#entry6201984.

That said, there is nothing wrong that you have that preference, and I understand how the dividing line can be confusing. I'm sure if you have a question a mod will answer if asked. Myself I would like to hear more about the EAA activities you've been able to engage in using the A7s.

I'm very much an astro-imager, i.e.: I still believe the best way to generate a high quality astro-image is to shoot multiple subs, align and stack them, and postprocess the heck out of the stacked image to get the best end result I can produce.

However, I also like to roam the heavens and watch the results on my hires monitor with 30sec (sometimes 60sec, sometimes 10sec) high ISO exposures.

I did both at the Alberta Star Party last weekend with an A7S and A7R, and a variety of lens and scopes.  I used the A7R for deep sky shots (both single images, and images from several aligned, stacked and processed subs) primarily because it is full spectrum modded as well as the fact I was using a fairly short focal length telescope and wanted the highest resolution I could capture.  I used the A7S (unmodded) for a variety of daytime and night shots with a 28-70mm zoom because it is the most versatile camera I own (or have ever owned).  I've had a number of people comment that I must have shot most of the sky images at dusk or just after sunset to capture the brightness shown.  Most the images were shot well after dark and it is simply the technology built into the A7S that makes it look like day, such as here, here or here.

I'm currently finalizing an album of single exposure images off the A7S using a Canon 200mm lens.  This will give you a pretty good idea what the A7S will do as an EAA camera, and it has great potential...

bwa

#423 bwallan

bwallan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

A compilation of various (mostly) single exposure astro-images off a Sony A7S w/ Canon 200mm lens.

A few notes:

- most images were shot with daylight white balance.  The exception is noted and shown for comparison (also shown below).

- all images were shot with Creative Style: Vivid; really boosts astro colors, particularly the red end of the spectrum.

- DRO Auto was used

- most images were captured as Xtra Fine JPG format.  I find very little difference between RAW and Xtra Fine.

- all images were quite nice displayed on the A7S's liveview screen and/or a hires monitor with the brightness turned up a bit.

One of my favorites

Misc%2BMilky%2BWay%2BShots-6.jpg

Enjoy!

bwa

#424 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

I'm very much an astro-imager, i.e.: I still believe the best way to generate a high quality astro-image is to shoot multiple subs, align and stack them, and postprocess the heck out of the stacked image to get the best end result I can produce.

However, I also like to roam the heavens and watch the results on my hires monitor with 30sec (sometimes 60sec, sometimes 10sec) high ISO exposures.

I did both at the Alberta Star Party last weekend with an A7S and A7R, and a variety of lens and scopes.  I used the A7R for deep sky shots (both single images, and images from several aligned, stacked and processed subs) primarily because it is full spectrum modded as well as the fact I was using a fairly short focal length telescope and wanted the highest resolution I could capture.  I used the A7S (unmodded) for a variety of daytime and night shots with a 28-70mm zoom because it is the most versatile camera I own (or have ever owned).  I've had a number of people comment that I must have shot most of the sky images at dusk or just after sunset to capture the brightness shown.  Most the images were shot well after dark and it is simply the technology built into the A7S that makes it look like day, such as here, here or here.

I'm currently finalizing an album of single exposure images off the A7S using a Canon 200mm lens.  This will give you a pretty good idea what the A7S will do as an EAA camera, and it has great potential...

bwa

I look forward to seeing the results of all of that.

Can you also give us some more info on a couple of things ... 

- how you use the hi res monitor (and what monitor it is)?

- the work flow you use to handle the camera between viewing on the monitor and capturing some of the great images?

I think a discussion of the "how" part can fit in well with the EAA forum (something I hope there's more of for all the cameras used).

Edited by mclewis1, 27 September 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#425 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

It is very interesting to see the potential of the different type of equipment.

Most of the time I have been using an 11" OTA and a camera with a 1/3" sensor. That pretty much determines the objects that I can go after.

The huge sensor of the Sony, combined with the smaller aperture lenses offers an entirely different perspective of a different range of objects of the universe.

Until now I accepted the fact that we need to own several different OTA's to get proper views of different types of celestial objects. Now it seems that also having different cameras will add an entirely new dimension to our appreciation of the universe.

--Dom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics