•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron AS C8-SGT and Fastar Compatability

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2004 - 02:50 PM

I saw an earlier post about possibly using a Fastar camera with the AS C8-SGT. I did some research and I think it boils down to this: You can use the Fastar with the AS C8-SGT if you have the C8 OTA with the Carbon Fiber tube and use the autoguide feature of the mount.

Research: The C8 OTA manual lists the CF OTAs as Fastar compatable and the aluminium OTAs as not compatable. I emailed Celestron Tech support and they said that the Nextstar GPS and CGE mounts are better because they have the worm drives (not exactly sure what they are). But, the C8-SGT talks about using the autoguider port to keep the mount aligned.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Just wondering.

Crashy

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:45 PM

I can confirm that the OTA used for the AS C8-SGT and the Nexstar 8i are not Fastar compatible.

As to the mount stuff and autoguiders, yes again. The other mounts are more expensive and more accurate. I don't know the price difference between the Fastar and plain OTA's but I have a feeling that Celestron didn't want to put the Fastar on their cheaper mounts because then people would be disappointed with their performance. Just guessing. I don't agree with what I said. The cheaper mounts can work with Fastar, but it really takes a dedicated imager to work through the problems.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:01 PM

Hi Don,

Does your OTA have an aluminum tube or carbon fiber tube? The manual for the OTA makes a distinction between the two. The 8" aluminum one is not Fastar compatable but the CF one is.

Also, did you get the XLT coatings?

Regards,
Crashy

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:07 PM

I don't have either at the moment. I'm just relaying what information I know about the various Celestron models available. My Nexstar 11GPS is carbon fiber and Fastar compatible, but Celestron never released the Fastar lense set for it.

I did have a Fastar C-8 (aluminum) a couple years ago, and had fun imaging with it.

#5 Ken Hutchinson

Ken Hutchinson

Ranger 4

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:52 AM

The whole issue of Fastar compatibility has become a little confused at the moment. The ad in the latest S&T indicates that that the carbon fiber C11 and the C14 tubes are no longer Fastar compatible. This could mean that they will no longer have the removable secondary assembly or it could simply mean that Celestron is dropping the C14 Fastar accessory and admiting that it never made one for the C11. If the latter is true you can purchase these items from Starizona, the Hyperstar. We don't know which at the moment. But whichever meaning turns out to be true, the carbon fiber C8 OTA's will continue to be Fastar compatible. If you want Fastar on the AS mount you either have to buy a bare mount, or a mount with some other OTA and then buy the CF C8 OTA separately. As Don says the C8 OTA suppiled with the AS mount is not Fastar compatible.

The AS mount also uses a worm drive, so that comment from Celestron is a bit off base. The NexStar GPS and CGE mounts are higher quality though so they are probably better choices for photography. The C8 OTA is well within the capability of the AS mount. If you do want to do photography with the AS, the C8 would be your best choice.

Ken

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics