•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexStar Evolution

• Please log in to reply
2232 replies to this topic

#826 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

Did you ever go the Bluetooth route to connect your NexStar to Android?  If so, how did that compare with the SkyQ? 

Mike

If that was for me Mike...I was looking into the skybt for android Bluetooth connect but than decided to go with the skyq link 2since there are no wires involved. I have all this stuff and accessories on my scope and I'm still completely wireless, which feels great! So once I saw the new skyq link 2 on the BH site saying new arrival and bill tshumy convincing me they work great I ordered one. Now the only problem with this one, that you may not like, is that the geniouses at celestron decided to put the AUX port, because that's where the skyq link goes, right under the diagonal if it were facing towards zenith. It takes up about an inch of space, I don't know why they would place it right there, Celestron does some really smart things but sometimes I question some of their judgement on certain decisions...I'll take a picture of this. So no, I never went to the Bluetooth route, it works great for you, maybe just remain that way?

There are no wires involved with a BT, either, except for a wire connecting the BT to the end of the HC.  The SkyQ Link is connected to the aux port, so there must be a wire involved there.  Pretty much the same thing.  But both access the Android remotely.

Yes, the BT works. I think I'll stick with that until and if I get an Evolution.

Maybe you can get a longer wire to connect the SkyQ Link to the aux port? Then you could hang the gizmo over the side of the mount, and maybe secure it with a strip of Velcro. There it would be out of the way of the diagonal.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 16 January 2015 - 07:31 AM.

• Procyon likes this

#827 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

Did you ever go the Bluetooth route to connect your NexStar to Android?  If so, how did that compare with the SkyQ? 

Mike

If that was for me Mike...I was looking into the skybt for android Bluetooth connect but than decided to go with the skyq link 2since there are no wires involved. I have all this stuff and accessories on my scope and I'm still completely wireless, which feels great! So once I saw the new skyq link 2 on the BH site saying new arrival and bill tshumy convincing me they work great I ordered one. Now the only problem with this one, that you may not like, is that the geniouses at celestron decided to put the AUX port, because that's where the skyq link goes, right under the diagonal if it were facing towards zenith. It takes up about an inch of space, I don't know why they would place it right there, Celestron does some really smart things but sometimes I question some of their judgement on certain decisions...I'll take a picture of this. So no, I never went to the Bluetooth route, it works great for you, maybe just remain that way?

There are no wires involved with a BT, either, except for a wire connecting the BT to the end of the HC.  The SkyQ Link is connected to the aux port, so there must be a wire involved there.  Pretty much the same thing.  But both access the Android remotely.

Yes, the BT works. I thinks I'll stick with that until and if I get an Evolution.

Maybe you can get a longer wire to connect the SkyQ Link to the aux port? Then you could hang the gizmo over the side of the mount, and maybe secure it with a strip of Velcro. There it would be out of the way of the diagonal.

Mike

That's a good idea Mike, to hang the gizmo on the side with a short aux cord? What kind of cord do you think I need? Look like a telephone wire would fit in there.

By the way, Dave got back to me and he said: Hi Tom.. yes I have spreaders that fit the 8 Se tripod. They are totally custom.  Not my standard. See pic attached. Tell me what you think? How much sturdier you think this would make our tripod/mounts?

Spreader.jpg

• spongebob@55 likes this

#828 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

The SkyQ Link 2 looks like this to give an idea:

SkyQ Link 2.jpg

#829 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

That's a good idea Mike, to hang the gizmo on the side with a short aux cord? What kind of cord do you think I need? Look like a telephone wire would fit in there.

By the way, Dave got back to me and he said: Hi Tom.. yes I have spreaders that fit the 8 Se tripod. They are totally custom.  Not my standard. See pic attached. Tell me what you think? How much sturdier you think this would make our tripod/mounts?

Probably the same cord that connects to the bottom of the HC for access by computer or BT would work for connecting the SkyQ to the aux port.  But I would let the electronics experts on CN verify this.  Celestron really should have provided a longer cord for the SkyQ connection.  Any other time, vendors will give you about 12' of cord, 10' of which you don't need. 

I think Tom's spreader will make the NexStar SE appreciably sturdier, especially if you attach a big triangular eyepiece tray.  But I bet the Evolution with the big tripod will be much sturdier than the NexStar SE.  I notice an improvement in my tripod with the extra spreader and the big tray.  However, I already had everything I needed in my attic, so I didn't have to buy anything new.  

I would rather have put my old Hands On wooden legs on the SE but they wouldn't fit.  Instead they went on my GT mount.  Now that was a huge improvement in stability.

An inexpensive way to dampen vibrations in the SE mount would be a simple stone bag tied to the original spreader.  Put a weight in it.  That's what photographers do to sturdy up their tripods.  I've put one on all my tripods that have spreaders. 

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/...?lpid=82&chn=ps

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 16 January 2015 - 07:27 AM.

#830 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Probably the same cord that connects to the bottom of the HC for access by computer or BT would work for connecting the SkyQ to the aux port.

NO! ... AUX ports are NOT for computer connections.

For any Aux port connections you need an RJ12 6p6c (6 pins, 6 conductors) connection wired straight through.

The connection at the base of the hand controller is a 4 pin RJ22 connector ... the cable is wired for RS232 serial connection.

#831 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Well, I didn't say the aux port was for computer connections.  I was referring to the port at the bottom of the HC.  I never used the HC port for connecting by cable to a computer, but that is what it was originally for, correct?  I connect my BT there.   I've never done anything with the aux port.

But I have no idea about which cable is which.  I know nothing beyond what probably the average user of these mounts knows about the electronics involved with the pin outs - in other words, virtually nothing.  I bet most of us don't know these things ... as evidenced by the many posts and threads asking about such stuff.  FWIW, I really have no interest in such things beyond the absolute minimum I need to know to get the gizmos to work.  

So then you advise NorthWolf about what cable he can get for the SkyQ and where he can buy it.  I was asking for someone who knows about electronics to chime in.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 16 January 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#832 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Probably the same cord that connects to the bottom of the HC for access by computer or BT would work for connecting the SkyQ to the aux port.

For any Aux port connections you need an RJ12 6p6c (6 pins, 6 conductors) connection wired straight through.

The connection at the base of the hand controller is a 4 pin RJ22 connector ... the cable is wired for RS232 serial connection.

Thanks Mike, Thanks Mark, how's this guy: http://www.ebay.com/...=item5b00f3bb9b

#833 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Nope, that cable from Ebay is a reversed pinout cable (for telephone extensions), it's not wired straight through which is what you'll need for a simple extension of the AUX port.

What would work is something like a hand controller extension cable. If I was doing this I would consider a cable made with a flat conductor so it can be bent relatively flat. Perhaps modifying the plug side a bit would help too.

Mike - The reason for the comment about the AUX port warning is because NorthWolf has the wifi unit plugged into an AUX port in his pictures and you were talking about trying to use a cable designed for PC RS232 connectivity to extend that port. I couldn't be certain where you wanted to plug the other end of that cable into beyond just trying to use it for an extension.

I understand that you don't have the specific knowledge about the electronics but you keep trying to do stuff that goes way beyond what the mount was originally designed to do. Doing things like using incorrect cables in the AUX ports can ruin your day really quickly. If you don't have the background knowledge then perhaps just asking a question instead of offering a suggestion would be the way to go. Following the descriptions of the cables for their suggested use would be restrictive for any extended connectivity you might want to try but it would be safer.

But yes, I also realize that some of the stuff you're trying to do hasn't been done by other folks and I certainly respect you for that. I guess you are caught in a form of limbo, not enough knowledge about the connectivity but the desire to try different stuff out that hasn't been done before.

Edited by mclewis1, 16 January 2015 - 07:18 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#834 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

So you said an rj12 6p6c wire will do yet the one I found will not do? Do you have maybe a link of one that will do because now I'm more confused.

ps: Ok now I see you mentioned straight through wire...let me go search more, I hate the world of electronics...what a snooze fest lol.

Edited by NorthWolf, 16 January 2015 - 06:27 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#835 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

So how's this one? http://m.ebay.com/it...3329?nav=SEARCH

#836 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

RJ12 ends - check

6p6c - check

wired straight through - check

That cable would indeed work to extend the AUX port.

You will also need a female to female connector (to get the female connection on your extension cable) ... something like this - http://www.ebay.com/...=item4162db8023  I know it's not great to have to use two pieces but it's very rare to find a one piece extension cable (male to female) at a reasonable price.

For a few dollars more than the Ebay cables you can also get the two pieces in one order at - http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_cgmx.htm

#837 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

RJ12 ends - check

6p6c - check

wired straight through - check

That cable would indeed work to extend the AUX port.

You will also need a female to female connector (to get the female connection on your extension cable) ... something like this - http://www.ebay.com/...=item4162db8023  I know it's not great to have to use two pieces but it's very rare to find a one piece extension cable (male to female) at a reasonable price.

For a few dollars more than the Ebay cables you can also get the two pieces in one order at - http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_cgmx.htm

That's a good one from Scopestuff thanks...When I get a 2" diagonal setup I'll get it, the whole purpose was to go wireless but since the geniuses put the aux port directly under and in the way of the diagonal for some unknown reason that makes me scratch my hair and pull some too, maybe it had to be there but still...

Edited by NorthWolf, 16 January 2015 - 09:11 PM.

• Sarkikos likes this

#838 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Going back to the weight questions...here is an answer from a Celestron rep:

Hi Tom,

I would be happy to help you out. To get a better Idea here are the weights of the shipping boxes.

12091 -Evo 8in the shipping box weighs 63lbs, so you are looking around that area.

12092- Evo 9.25, this comes with two boxes. Box 1 (telescope &mount) weights about 48lbs. Box 2 (tripod) weights about 35lbs. Together they would weight about 83lbs.

11069- SE 8inch. This box weighs in at 49lbs. I hope this helps.

No comment....

#839 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

let me go search more, I hate the world of electronics...what a snooze fest lol.

You and me both.  But we need to bear with figuring out these gee-whiz gizmos to come out on the other side with good tools for our real interest here ... amateur astronomy.

Mike

• HUsher and Procyon like this

#840 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hi Tom,

I would be happy to help you out. To get a better Idea here are the weights of the shipping boxes.

12091 -Evo 8in the shipping box weighs 63lbs, so you are looking around that area.

12092- Evo 9.25, this comes with two boxes. Box 1 (telescope &mount) weights about 48lbs. Box 2 (tripod) weights about 35lbs. Together they would weight about 83lbs.

No comment....

Tom,

It's really not unusual to see 10% (or more) of additional weight for the packaging. The vendors also often round up quite a bit on shipping weights because they really don't want to get it wrong in the other direction (makes the shippers upset). Those shipping weights are also often created early on (in time to get the boxes printed before the first customer shipments) and can be out by a bit compared to the final shipping weights.

Shipping weight is really only helpful to give you a rough idea of what to expect, it's not a highly accurate representation of what you'll have to move around when you are actually using the scope.

I am however a little surprised by the amount of difference (14lbs) between the 8" SE and Evolution shipping weights ... which I guess just reinforces what I was saying above about how ineffective the shipping weights are in accurately judging the final in use weights.

#841 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hi Tom,

No comment....

Tom,

It's really not unusual to see 10% (or more) of additional weight for the packaging. The vendors also often round up quite a bit on shipping weights because they really don't want to get it wrong in the other direction (makes the shippers upset). Those shipping weights are also often created early on (in time to get the boxes printed before the first customer shipments) and can be out by a bit compared to the final shipping weights.

Shipping weight is really only helpful to give you a rough idea of what to expect, it's not a highly accurate representation of what you'll have to move around when you are actually using the scope.

I am however a little surprised by the amount of difference (14lbs) between the 8" SE and Evolution shipping weights ... which I guess just reinforces what I was saying above about how ineffective the shipping weights are in accurately judging the final in use weights.

I'm just a little annoyed that we cannot get the correct weights for the telescope/mount/tripod from Celestron to make our own calculations on what is good for us to buy, etc...That's why I love these forums though.

Edited by NorthWolf, 17 January 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#842 CMH_Starz

CMH_Starz

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

All,

is anyone using the evolution for astrophotography?

yes, im fully aware this isnt the best setup for astrophotography, but it can be done, im not looking to submit photos to nasa...just looking to take pics of planets, orion nebula, andromeda and a few others.

just hoping maybe other can share on here some pictures theyve taken with their evolutions!

thinking of getting the evo 6 and buying the heavy duty cpc tripod that is used for the 9.25 and then somewhere down the line buy the hd wedge.

Dave T.

Columbus, OH

#843 pugsx

pugsx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

M42.  Single exposure.

Attached Thumbnails

• M42 of IMG_2335.JPG

• CMH_Starz likes this

#844 CMH_Starz

CMH_Starz

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

pugsx,

thanks for the share and great image!

if you dont mind me asking what camera you use for imaging?

thanks again for the share.

Dave

#845 pugsx

pugsx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

pugsx,

thanks for the share and great image!

if you dont mind me asking what camera you use for imaging?

thanks again for the share.

Dave

Canon 70D with a celestron T adaptor. 

#846 WarrenP2

WarrenP2

Lift Off

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi Dave,

Here are a couple of images that I have taken with my Evolution 8 and a Mallincam Jr Pro. The camera lets me clearly see lots of objects from my front yard I otherwise could not. I know this is not "true" astrophotography, but it may help answer some of your questions.

If you can keep the exposure under 40 seconds or so, you can get some nice images.

M42

M42-02a.jpg

M57

M57-01a.jpg

Warren

Edited by WarrenP2, 21 January 2015 - 06:23 AM.

• CMH_Starz likes this

#847 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

attachicon.gifSpreader.jpg

This spreader is a great idea.   I've read that the TPI spreader is great for the Atlas tripod and I was wondering with some comments about the tripod possibly being a weak link on the 8" SE series,  and now the same speculation on the tripod for the 8" Evolution, that a spreader made by TPI would be a standard offering, not a 'totally' custom offering.  (or even a homemade wooden one that one of our CNer's have made).   I'm going to keep reading posts about the 8" Evo, and once NEAF is here, will definitely do the touch, feel and shake on the Evo at the Big C booth.

Its interesting to me that the mount is the same from the 6" to the 9.25", and that its the tripod and tray that gets heavier for the 9.25".  I'm also going to look at Celestron's new spreader on the 6" & 8" tripod, to see if its truly lower on the tripod and stronger vs the SE series, or if that's just marketing mumbo jumbo.   If anyone wants to measure this position on the new Evo tripod, pls do so and we'll compare it with what we have on our SE's; in my case, the 6SE.

I'm also going to pay close attention to the rail-mount arm -OTA interface to see how much more travel the OTA has in relationship to the mount.  For example, on the 6SE, you can only move the OTA just so much before you either hit the mount housing or lose grip on the rail.  Of course you can buy a longer rail and or move the rail outwards; it works, but this should not be an OE issue imo.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by spongebob@55, 01 February 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#848 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

I have a NexStar SE 6/8 mount.  It is my goto/tracking mount for my EdgeHD 8" and also my C80ED.  I was able to install a Baader Lock-Ring and Baader SCT 2" diagonal on the EdgeHD 8" to allow it to reach zenith on the NexStar SE without hitting the mount or tripod legs.  I needed to put the C80ED in rings attached to a 16" dovetail piggybacked on a 7" dovetail in order for it to reach zenith in the NexStar SE.

I replaced the stock legs of the NexStar SE with legs and spreader from a CG5.  I drilled new holes in the spreader to accommodate a large triangular eyepiece tray.  Now the tripod has effectively two spreaders, one above the other.  Also, I attached a photographer's stone back to the spreader.  Weight can be placed in the stone bag.  All of these measures help stabilize the mount.  It is still not perfect, but it's better than it was.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• C80ED on NexStar Tilted.JPG
  • NexStar SE Trays Side.JPG
  • NexStar SE Trays Tilted.JPG

Edited by Sarkikos, 01 February 2015 - 05:51 PM.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#849 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: French Valley, California

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

man I need that! you can make me a custom tray next lol. I always run into the problem of small tray issues...always carry out second chair or foldable table just to put my extras parts and pieces...

#850 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hey Mike good ideas! Maybe someday I'll try doing something like that.

In the meantime, I bought an Evolution tripod from a friend (no mount, just the tripod) and I would say this upgrade alone increases the stability by at least 25-30%. The spreader is much thicker and sturdier. It's also about 3 pounds heavier I think, I have no scale right now but I believe the stats we wrote down are true. Let me know if you guys want me to test something!

I like the new spreader but no idea why they only have 2-3 1.25" holes and 1 2" hole on it. The 2" hole allows me to put my binoviewer (with or without eyepieces on it) there though.

Edited by Procyon, 02 February 2015 - 09:41 PM.

• Sarkikos, spongebob@55 and Dadadee like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics