•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexStar Evolution

• Please log in to reply
2257 replies to this topic

#2251 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

Well, karma is a b...h....

I don’t shed tears for China. 

#2252 1979mgb

1979mgb

Sputnik

• Loc: 6 miles past end of world, Northern NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:16 PM

According to Celestron's Website they use the CG-5 Dovetail bar.

Check this topic at post #5

https://www.cloudyni...-dovetail-bars/

You will find just about any answer to your questions just by searching the topics here on Cloudy Nights.

I purchased a long Vixen style dovetail bar and cut it to length and drilled any necessary holes to mount on various OTA's to my 2 rebuilt Evolution mounts. post #2233 this topic.

Any Celestron Nexstar SE or Nexstar Evolution OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) of various sizes will fit your mount.

Any OTA could be used by attaching the correct dovetail.

However when I did the Comet Hunter it required an 8lb counter weight. 

#2253 giganova

giganova

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

Is the Celestron C8-A XLT OTA the same as the 8" that comes with the Nexstar Evolution, except for the color?

Is there a better 8" choice if I want to upgrade the 6" OTA of the Nexstar Evolution to an 8", other than the HD version?

#2254 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

Is the Celestron C8-A XLT OTA the same as the 8" that comes with the Nexstar Evolution, except for the color?

Is there a better 8" choice if I want to upgrade the 6" OTA of the Nexstar Evolution to an 8", other than the HD version?

Yes

No, maybe a Meade 8" ACF

#2255 1979mgb

1979mgb

Sputnik

• Loc: 6 miles past end of world, Northern NY

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

This OTA is optically the same as the 8" OTA included with the Standard Evolution, Also the same as the 8" Nexstar SE OTA which is Orange in color. As you noted the color changed. The Dove tail bar is also different.

As stated in its description It is for the CGE mount. Evolution uses a CG-5 dovetail which is shared with all the newest Nexstar mounts.

Think of it this way. Nexstar Evolution is a mounting system, CGE refers to a mounting system.

HD in the description of an Evolution Telescope system does refer to different optics in the OTA. Other forums can explain the differences.

XLT in this OTA refers to coatings on the glass optics of the telescope. 

Better 8" OTA?, depends on what you are doing. Celestron makes the 8" Rowe-Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph for $1699 just for the OTA.

Comes with a CGE dovetail, would have to be changed to a CG-5 dovetail to work with an Evolution mount.

Other forums can describe how the Rowe-Akerman is different.

Edited by 1979mgb, 23 October 2020 - 08:20 PM.

#2256 ryoder

ryoder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

Ugh. I’m in the market for a evo. We need to cut our dependence on China.

#2257 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

Ugh. I’m in the market for a evo. We need to cut our dependence on China.

I think that the Covid pandemic has prompted a major re-think on global supply chains in general.

#2258 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:01 PM

Let’s hope so. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics