•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cool new products at NEAF??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#26 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt astrograph claims a 45-degree image circle (if I remember right), which should support the largest CCD sensors. Celestron also announced some new Skyris cameras (including one with the same chip as the ASI120)

There were TONS of new products;
two new 130mm f/7 apos from Stellarvue (one is oil spaced, the other air), a 60mm apo, and new large alt-az mount.
Tele Vue had a new 3" parracor,
QHYCCD had the first fully wireless CCD camera (with internal memory and operating system),
iNova showed off some new modular video/CCD cameras,
Kendrick had lots of new secondary heaters and power blocks with powered USB hubs,
Rainbowastro had these fast robotic mounts (including a massive robotic fork mount rumored to cost 100K) and an RC,
DayStar unveiled its HA-eyepiece,
SkyWatcher had the EQ-8 mount and some new refractors, plus the 190mm f/5.3 Mak-Newt that used to be sold by Orion,
Southern Stars showed off SkySafari 4.0 and announced the new telescope control app for Celestron's new Evolution series of SCT's (btw, the Evolution look very cool- lots of little helpful niceties like rechargable internal battery and manual clutches)
Lunt Solar Systems had a double-stack moduke for its 152 solar HA scope (and gave amazing views out in the observing field; the seeing was excellent in the morning), plus its new 50mm pressure tuned HA scope ($799, or add another $859 for double-stack)
Lunt Engineering (seperate from Lunt Solar Systems) made its debut with a series of AD apos, plus they are the importers of ASA scopes and mounts,
Polaris Precision had extendable extruded aluminum piers (looks similar to Pier-Tech's version)
Jerry Lodriguss showed off his latest book on CD,
Starlight Xpress had the new Lodestar X2 autoguider, plus new cameras with built-in USB hubs,
Hercules Telescopes (or Telescopes Hercules) debut their Newtonian Astrographs with cellular primary and secondary mirrors,
Innovations Foresight had a new massive Direct Drive mount (the Sky Vision Nova 120),
Vixen had new modular german equatorial mounts (the SX2 with Star Book One), and now offer Feathertouch focuser upgrades,
Explore Scientific had new coma correctors,
New Moon Telescopes had their new dob bearings plus some attractive scopes,
Atik showed off its new "One" camera,
Vernonscope had some nice clip-on red LED flashlights,
First Contact had a new optics cleaning goo that is similar to Colodian,
Software Bisque unvelied the MX+ mount and TheSky HD for apple devises (with ACP observatory control),
JMI had a new heavy-duty equatorial wedge,
AstroHutech had a few varieties of new Borg scopes (the 67FL looked new to me at least),
Meade had new binoculars and spotting scopes, plus a new series of introductory scopes,
SBIG had the new AO-X active optics, and the differential guider is ready for prime time,
William Optics had a new attractive 71mm f/4.9 5-element astrograph,
Deep Sky Products had retrofit GOTO system and motors for Losmandy mounts (priced surprisingly low) and the New Avalon M-Zero single-arm mount.

There were a few other things I'm sure I forgot to mention.

#27 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks Sean! Now I need more info on the Rainbowastro mounts (are they the same ones I've seen for a bit, or brand new ones?); the MX+ (what the heck makes it a plus?!?) and TheSky HD; and differential guiding is FINALLY ready? Has the world gone mad?!?!

Paul

#28 dham340

dham340

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Meade had new binoculars and spotting scopes, plus a new series of introductory scopes,

Can you elaborate? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying a new meade scope but I am concerned about the company after they buyout. Their website hasn't been updated in ages, feedback on their customer service on CN seems mixed, and their scope line seems long in the tooth.

Did they have a bunch of people there? Did you get to talk to any?

Thanks much.

#29 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

I really can't comment on the health and workings of any company. they did have a bunch of reps, including Joe Lupeka, the president, and Jason Ware who does beta testing for them.

#30 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Awesome job listing all the new products!

Thanks!

Timm :jump:

#31 jtpowers

jtpowers

more clever in the first place

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yes- thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a teensy bit closer to the event now... :)

#32 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Can you elaborate? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying a new meade scope but I am concerned about the company after they buyout. Their website hasn't been updated in ages, feedback on their customer service on CN seems mixed, and their scope line seems long in the tooth.

Did they have a bunch of people there? Did you get to talk to any?

Thanks much.

Although there was nothing "official", the Meade rep I talked to at the imaging conference told me that they will be shipping a re-worked version of the LX-850 mount "in about 6 months". According to him, the revised mount will have reduced weight, and it will be easy to separate the head into ra and dec assemblies - reducing the weight needed to lift a single component when assembling the mount. The performance will remain the same.

#33 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Not to sound like we're being left out in Sean Walker's list above, but we (Teeter's Telescopes) did debut the first production models of both of our new lines of scopes...TT/Journey (10" travel scope) and TT/Stark (bare-bones, lower cost, premium Truss-Dob). :jump: Granted, we did announce them previously, but never had working scopes before, so this was big for us.

Thanks,

#34 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ah, thanks Rob; I did say I probably forgot some things. I did mention you in our web story.

#35 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Yep, saw that Sean! Thanks much! Always good to get recognized. :grin:

ROb

#36 dham340

dham340

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I really can't comment on the health and workings of any company. they did have a bunch of reps, including Joe Lupeka, the president, and Jason Ware who does beta testing for them.

Thanks for this.

Personally, I'm thinking that the buy out of meade by sunny and the hiring of mr. Lupeka is a good thing for the future of Meade. So I ended up buying one of the "used" scopes meade had at the show from the dealer who bought it all from meade at the end of the show.

Should be here tomorrow which, of course, means tomorrow night will be cloudy

#37 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

I forgot to mention that Sky-Watcher USA had a prototype 18" Ultralight Dob on display.

http://chesmontastro.org/node/10948

Dave Mitsky

#38 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

i'll second that...but not new.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CLKJ0jhZHdI

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics