•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Understanding IDAS D1, P2, V4 & HEUIBII Filters

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#151 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

OK I had a chance to do some very rudimentary filter comparisons. It's not all IDAS but is IDAS dominated so will put it into this thread. This is a comparison of the LPS-D1, LPS-D2, LPS-V4, HEUIB II, No Filter, and finally the STC Duo Narrowband.

There is -no- tracking, exposure is 5 mins with ISO2000, and is taken with the A7S RAW downloaded and converted to JPG. Scope is the Takahashi Mewlon 250CRS (2500/F10), therefore pardon the star trails due to gusty winds.

This was from a golf course carpark in Chiba whereby the SQM was 20.27 when the shots were made. it was 21:50 JST and ambient temps were 15.7C (although my Astro A7S cooled the sensor down to -3.9C) and humidity was approx 77%. As mentioned, it was annoyingly windy. There were some LED lights but were literally only 1 foot off the ground but a good 200-300 feet away from me. I was parked next to a 3 story building and next to my car for shielding from the wind. There was a vending machine light on in one of the rooms where my scope was approx 30-40 feet from the window. I don't think it would have contributed much light pollution seeing I'm on such a high focal length scope.

Subject was M97 (planetary Owl Nebula). 

No Filter Used

No Filter.jpg

IDAS LPS-D1
IDAS LPS-D1.jpg

IDAS LPS-D2

IDAS LPS-D2.jpg

IDAS LPS-V4
IDAS LPS-V4.jpg

IDAS HEUIB II
IDAS HEUIB II.jpg

STC Duo Narrowband

STC Duo NB.jpg

• timmbottoni, Traveler, rathijit and 7 others like this

#152 squreshi786

squreshi786

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:43 AM

HI Guys

I have a modded canon 6D (Rear Filter Removal with Sensor Repositioning Modification) carried out here in UK. I currently have IDAS P2, should I move to D2 or not.

Thanks

Saqib

• Simon B likes this

#153 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

AnakChan,

thanks a lot for your feedback. Yes, I read that these filters don't work with wide angle lenses. But I'll be using it for deep-sky objects, so nothing below 200mm (in 35mm equiv.), I guess (though I don't know where "wide angle" starts to be honest grin.gif). Sadly, having a Fujifilm camera, clip-in filters are not an option... Perhaps in a near future, when mirrorless cameras reign!

I've ordered a couple step down rings on eBay for only 10€. I'll make some tests and see how vignetting affects the pictures. Depending on the result, I'll consider getting a 2" LPS filter! Which can also prove useful if I invest into a telescope later. But one step at a time :)

#154 Astrodermatologist

Astrodermatologist

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hi Team, 

What an excellent and engaging read this has been... thanks for all the informed perspectives!

Can someone comment/share specifically about rectangular vignetting with body mounted full frame IDAS filters?  I've seen lots of examples of Astronomik's and Optolong's performances, but only heard rumblings about IDAS. I can't find any clearly labeled examples of these filters being used and would very much like to see a sample image before making a purchase.

I would like to get a sense of how correctable the rectangular vignetting may be, and how strong it is compared with the other brands.  I'm planning a purchase for a Canon 6D, and would like to use the filter with my 2" focuser and a smattering of lenses. So, body mounted feels like the right move, but want to make sure I'm not going to have to do major cropping and lose the benefit of full frame.

Thanks!

Edited by Astrodermatologist, 20 June 2018 - 05:51 PM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#155 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi Team, 

What an excellent and engaging read this has been... thanks for all the informed perspectives!

Can someone comment/share specifically about rectangular vignetting with body mounted full frame IDAS filters?  I've seen lots of examples of Astronomik's and Optolong's performances, but only heard rumblings about IDAS. I can't find any clearly labeled examples of these filters being used and would very much like to see a sample image before making a purchase.

I would like to get a sense of how correctable the rectangular vignetting may be, and how strong it is compared with the other brands.  I'm planning a purchase for a Canon 6D, and would like to use the filter with my 2" focuser and a smattering of lenses. So, body mounted feels like the right move, but want to make sure I'm not going to have to do major cropping and lose the benefit of full frame.

Thanks!

The only clip-in I have is the Multi Spectra from STC for my D810A and that vignettes quite a bit....I've only used it once. The amount it vignettes (and have to crop, flats won't do...it darkens that much), I'm better off with an APS-C DSLR. After reading about Astronomik's, I think it's a common behaviour of all clip-ins for full frames so haven't bothered buying the IDAS ones. Instead I use the 52mm IDAS drop-in filter.

#156 Astrodermatologist

Astrodermatologist

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

The only clip-in I have is the Multi Spectra from STC for my D810A and that vignettes quite a bit....I've only used it once. The amount it vignettes (and have to crop, flats won't do...it darkens that much), I'm better off with an APS-C DSLR. After reading about Astronomik's, I think it's a common behaviour of all clip-ins for full frames so haven't bothered buying the IDAS ones. Instead I use the 52mm IDAS drop-in filter.

Ah, I had a feeling that this was the case, but was hopeful that the requirement to remove some of the viewfinder cover for IDAS installation would mitigate enough of the vignetting to be correctable with flats.

Hopefully someone out there can share their experiences, otherwise I will likely get a 2" filter and forego using my Rokinon 135mm... I asked Hutech for a sample flat and they declined x2.

Thanks so much!

#157 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

General guidelines on vignetting:

1. DSLRs by design have some vignetting due to flip mirror and deep seated sensor

2. MILCs by design have no vignetting due to no mirror and shallow sensor

3. Rectangular clip-ins with framing (metal/plastic) around the filter edges will have significant 'rectangular' vignetting (an example here...)

4. Rectangular clip-ins with no framing (glass ONLY) will have 'no' rectangular vignetting of course (an example here...)

5. Same rules apply to all other filter permutations, drop-ins, etc.

6. Round filters of course, by design, will have almost none or very minor circular vignetting (probably the best option when it comes to reducing vignetting)

Regards

Edited by mmalik, 21 June 2018 - 11:57 AM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#158 konzy

konzy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:09 AM

Perhaps a dumb question, but if you have a drop-in filter that creates vignetting, shouldn't you create your flats with the filter on?

#159 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Answer would be 'yes'; read more below...

...A flat frame is a frame that represents the field flatness. Unlike bias and dark frames, flat frames are not about noise, they are about identifying the "shape" and structure of your field. By field, I mean the area within the frame. A field may be non-flat due to a couple things. First, there is usually some amount of vignetting unless you are using a very small central portion of a very large image circle. In many cases, the image circle of a scope will barely be large enough for sensors of approximately APS-C sized (i.e. a 7D II, or a KAF-8300). In some cases, the image circle of a scope may be huge...as in the case of the Tak FSQ106, which has an 88mm image circle, and is unlikely to produce vignetting on either of those cameras. Flat frames also represent the dust motes on your sensor, which affect the cleanliness of your field.

• konzy likes this

#160 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Useful info regarding using filters, and a filter link courtesy of Samir. Regards

Frankly there is not much that is controversial in using filters. Measure your light pollution and choose how much filtering is appropriate for your site. Or go directly to the end game assuming the worst light pollution (suburb of a large city) and use an Astro Duo Narrowband filter. Indecisiveness as to whether to filter or not arises when your light pollution is around Mag 18.5/sq arc-sec (Visual Limiting Magnitude 4.5) but most suburbs are at a Magnitude more light polluted or even worse. Yardstick: Pristine dark site Mag 21.5/sq arc-sec, can just about make out the summer Milky Way Mag 18.5/sq arc-sec. You can see that there is a huge range between a pristine dark site and can-just-see-summer-Milky-Way. A lot of the indecision arises at such sites; where you know you have light pollution but you over-estimate how bad it is. Most of us feel that our light pollution is awful. That's why one should just take a few minutes and measure it.

Edited by mmalik, 05 October 2018 - 01:53 PM.

• timmbottoni likes this

#161 Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coruscant

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:17 AM

Greetings!

I use a sony a7s lpf-2 removed for quite some time now with an owl drop in filter adapter and an idas HEUIBII filter but i want to use my native lenses. I just saw that IDAS have a new body-mounted filter for A7 Series but i read that these filters are optimized for full spectrum modified cameras. Does anyone have use it with success with only lpf-2 filter removed? will it work?

thanks!

edit: i contact Hutech and i was told that body mounted versions for a7 no more..frown.gif

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenewbie, 23 November 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#162 Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:18 AM

Anyone knows if there is a body mounted filter to have a similar effect like idas HEUIBII filter or even a light pollution filter that works good highlighting h-alpha at dark sky locations?

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenewbie, 05 December 2018 - 03:30 AM.

#163 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

Body mounted D1 LPS should be available for Canon full-frame if that's what you have? Of course you'll need modified camera to capture most h-alpha. Regards

post-205769-0-72489000-1495181604_thumb.

Edited by mmalik, 05 December 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• Obi-Wan Kenewbie likes this

#164 Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Obi-Wan Kenewbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

Body mounted D1 LPS should be available for Canon full-frame if that's what you have? Of course you'll need modified camera to capture most h-alpha. Regards

post-205769-0-72489000-1495181604_thumb.

Thanks mmalik! I have a modified sony a7s only lpf-2 removed. There is no idas body mounted filter fow a7 series. So my choices are the astronomik  cls vs STC Astro-Multispectra Clip Filter.

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenewbie, 06 December 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#165 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:09 AM

Body mounted is just one way to go; round filters are an option for a7S if you redo or rethink your setup. Given the limited choices for body mounted, keeping your (filter) options open would be advised. Regards

• Obi-Wan Kenewbie likes this

#166 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:46 AM

Relevant (narrowband) filter choices for Nikon...

This is the one that I found https://www.cyclopso...ilter-nikon-ff/

It looks to be based on the same frame as their Astro Multispectra which I have, and that fits in well into the D810a. You should be good laugh.gif.
 post-232561-0-52131700-1545611857.jpg

You may get some vignetting but you can just crop that out.

Edited by mmalik, 24 December 2018 - 12:49 AM.

#167 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:00 AM

All in one look at D2...

Attached Thumbnails

• D2.jpg

Edited by mmalik, 15 February 2019 - 05:01 AM.

• timmbottoni and PaulaP like this

#168 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

As per Digiborg/Hutech, it seems the LPS-D1 is getting discontinued with more and more cities going LED. Similarly with the HEUIB II.

I’m guessing IDAS is going to focus more on their LPS-D2 (which is for LED), and their NarrowBand NB1 (and possibly NB2/REUIB/NB3) filters. There’s still very little information about the NB2/REUIB/NB3 filters - I’ve only seen one reference to it on the Kyoei website. Will share when I hear more info about it.

• timmbottoni likes this

#169 agent-orange

agent-orange

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hi guys

Which filter would you suggest for someone, who lives in the green zone with low pollution (SQM 20.60-20.80) and with some LED street lights? I actually wanted to buy LPS-V4 but now I'm not sure anymore, if I better should take the D2

I already have 3 Baader NB filters and I'm using a full-spectrum modded Sony A7R.

• cloudswimmer likes this

#170 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

HEUIBII and D2, in that order (...I mean one at a time), would be recommended given your mod type, pollution level, etc. Regards

#171 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:32 AM

As per Digiborg/Hutech, it seems the LPS-D1 is getting discontinued with more and more cities going LED. Similarly with the HEUIB II.

I’m guessing IDAS is going to focus more on their LPS-D2 (which is for LED), and their NarrowBand NB1 (and possibly NB2/REUIB/NB3) filters. There’s still very little information about the NB2/REUIB/NB3 filters - I’ve only seen one reference to it on the Kyoei website. Will share when I hear more info about it.

As mentioned above as well as in the Triad thread, IDAS now revealed more information about the NB2 and NB3 filters. According to Kyoei the Nebula Booster NB2 is focused around OIII-Hα-NII, whilst  NB3 is around OIII-SII. They’re 21nm and 19nm in width :-

NB2+NGS1_Chart.jpg

NB3+NGS1_Chart.jpg

Edited by AnakChan, 25 April 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#172 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

Hey there, I'm using the Baader UHC-S Nebula Filter in front of my ASI 1600 MC.  Getting a lot of Blue in the Background, instead of Black, anyone else getting that?  Its pretty strong, thinking of just not using the filter, not sure how to correct for this.   Any ideas, does another filter give more black here. 

If you are using SharpCap 3.2 Pro, try using the color moderation in the histogram. It will adjust the background for you from blue to green to red or a combination of the three to get a neutral black background. You can also adjust the color saturation to go from black & white to all color if you choose.

#173 basskep

basskep

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

Hi Stargazer3236,

You seem to use an ASI294MC OSC right ? I have the same camera and would like to know which filter do you use with it ? I would like to buy the IDAS-LPS-D2 but I don't find the 1.25" version.

#174 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Hi Stargazer3236,

You seem to use an ASI294MC OSC right ? I have the same camera and would like to know which filter do you use with it ? I would like to buy the IDAS-LPS-D2 but I don't find the 1.25" version.

i don’t think I’ve seen any Idas filters come in 1.25” size. I’ve only seen them come in as DSLR clips or in 48mm/52mm sizes.

#175 DonBoy

DonBoy

Apollo

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

You really should consider 2" (48mm) with the ASI294 - 1.25" filters will cause vignetting.

https://www.sciencec...ces/filters.htm

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics