•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ideal "Scope of Opportunity" Nexstar 8 GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:03 PM

I had to go to Chicago last month. Usually fly but just got tired of the airline passenger molestation policy at the gate. So drove up through the mountains. It was late at night and I had the Great Smokies to myself. Got up on the Blue Ridge Parkway at about 11:00pm, pulled over and looked up. Talk about seeing. I just haven't seen anything like that on the East Coast. Crystal clear skies and the stars were steady and bright. Little faint cotton balls visible all over the sky. Would have traded my car for a good portable scope right then. I have a 10" LX200 and 6" CR 150 in a Home Dome along with the ETX 90 but just can't carry those around (seems like the ETX is too small for my hands). So I ordered a 10" LXD55 Newt. with UHTC coatings back in November (expected delivery when central earth freezes over). I haven't seen one (it's insane the money we spend without even seeing the product) and it's prabably too big for what I want. The ideal scope would be light weight, not take up too much room, have a great setup time with go-to and be pretty good on deep sky. Something I could pull out of the back of the truck, setup quickly and take down just as fast.

Question: Would the NexStar 8 GPS with Starbright be a better "seize the moment" scope than the 10" LXD55 Newt with UHTC?

(posted this over in the LXD55 forum too for that perspective)

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

A friend of mine has the 10" LXD-55. It dances like Little Eva on a Saturday night when the ships are in port. That mount is not meant to handle that big of a load.

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:50 AM

I would think the C5 would be a good choice here. Or binoculars.

#4 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:04 PM

I like the "little Eva on a Saturday night" comparison. Sounds like my LX200 on the pier I made for it. I took the advice from the Cloudy Nights folks and bid and got the NexStar 8 GPS XLT today. Thanks for the advice and will let everyone know how it works out.

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:38 PM

rboe, I agree with the C5 call - the NexStar 5i should fit the need nicely. Strap a GPS onto your laptop, meddyn, and yer good to go!

#6 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:21 PM

Oh brother. Had the new Nexstar 8 gps XLT out for the first time last night up in the foothills. With moon and all that thing was awesome. Looks like another clear night so will compare it to the LX200 10" in another part of the state with more light pollution.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics