•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron travelscope 50 supercharge!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi all!
I bought a Celestron Travelscope 50 as a super portable small telescope. The telescope as it is is in the box needs to be modified. I completely disassembled it, removed both the 3cm baffle in the tube and the 0.5(?)cm baffle in the focuser that vignette the light path and painted the internal flat black with black spray paint. The objective lens edge was painted black with a permanent marker and the toy "finderscope" was discarded and replaced with a 1x red dot finder. No reason to buy 0.96" to 1.25" diagonal as I already own a battery of fine 0.96" Vixen eyepieces and diagonals (A 20mm Kellner 18x,B 12mm Orthoscopic 30x,C 6mm Orthoscopic 60x, D 0.96" diagonal prism, E 0.96" solar diagonal-herschel wedge with ND filter). As for performance? Please wait for the usual new telescope spell of bad weather to pass! :bow: Daylight testing though gave bright clean images with a minimum amount of secondary color around white building edges. I have to mention than due to the small and long 0.96" focuser the light path is still slightly vignetted (I estimate is as a 45mm real aperture).

Attached Thumbnails

• 6478918-travescope_50_system.jpg

#2 bknop

bknop

Lift Off

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

Nice job for the upgrade parts! I have an identical 50mm 360mm fl that is labeled as a GeoVision Vega 360. I've been debating what to do with mine lately. The stock focuser only allows full illumination at the very center of the field. anywhere else some vignetting appears. The inside of my focuser drawtube was shiny, so I cut and inserted some black 120 or 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper, mainly because its thin, has very little reflection, and can be made to fit snugly with careful trimming down to fit. May I also suggest if you haven't treated yet; The tube(first 10cm after the lens), front lens cell lock ring, and inside of dewshield should be treated as well. Black felt or flocking paper would work as well. Its effectiveness very good, its reflection reduction is in between flat black paint and a baffle. Flat black paint mixed with baking soda works well too.

#3 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

I painted after sandpapering the interior of the dew cap, the tube and the focuser as well. I forgot the lens locking ring though but it is easy to paint it too. The stock focuser drawtube may by sawed a little after checking the outermost focusing point with your eypieces. Using my 0.96" accessories there is no need to saw the drawtube as it focuses almost all way out. Upgrading such a cheap telescope with a 1.25" focuser doesn't make sense as it will cost much more than the whole telescope itself. The black paint-soda mix is a nice idea though!
PS are you of greek origin?
Alithos o Kyrios!

#4 bknop

bknop

Lift Off

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like your on the ball. I'm glad I'm not the only one to use sandpaper in a telescope. I don't know if I'll replace my focuser either. I bought my scope at a thrift store for next to nothing,(the focuser was broke, until it met the superglue). :grin: I am not Greek, part Italian actually. I've been going to a Greek church for a while now. I have gained a perspective of how loving God is, unlike how some people in the US portray God to be, as hating homosexuals or getting looked down upon for having a beer etc. :bawling:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics