•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#76 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

I am sorry for my late reply. I have just got back from a long travel leave.

#77 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hello anat,
i-ve just jumped in and getting mad with your very good astrophoto solution.
I've studied many possible personalisations using my limited knowledges.

Two questions:
i've seen that the mk808b has not way to store the date, so it starts at the "night of times" every time you power it up. I-ve seen you call date in rc.local and then date is definitely set when you call the index page by using javascript function getUTCHours() and his friends.
However this results in having a "mistaken" time when you start apps like skychart that rely on time to work. The problem is that the mount has a local time and skychart not.
Can you explain me why you choose this way? If i replace the function by something to have localtime, will i create problems elsewhere?

The UTC time in the tablet will be sent to MK808 and the UTC time will be set when accessing http://10.0.0.1
Then all programs in iAstroHub will use the UTC time.

For Skychart, you will need to set your location, time zone, and time format (UTC or Local).

I've tried to make skychart work with my eq6. As far as i know the only way is install indi and use indi_celestron_gps. skychart starts automatically indiserver when you start it, however it doesnt make the connection to the scope by himself; the only way for me is to start skychart by vnc, open scope control panel and click connect. You know how to do it automatically or you know other ways to manage eq6 with skychart without indi? I already tried skysafari solution but i'd prefer to rely on skychart. Of course, there's also the time issue that make i have let's say 10pm on the mount and 8pm on skychart.

I used to support INDI in Skychart but dropped the support because of the stability issue in INDI. In addition, celestron and skywatcher mounts cannot accept "Sync". So for now, Skychart has only the native control of LX200-compatible mounts only. For other mounts, one will need to use Skysafari/TheSky HD/Luminos for mount control.

If you still need to use INDI for control your mount, I can sent you the old codes to implement it. Please email me.

Best regards,
Anat

#78 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Hi Anat,
I see the function "assist polar alignment" in README
But I can not find out how to perform it
Could you please give some details?

When you click the button, you will see the instruction at the bottom of the page. It tells you how to adjust the alt or az axes.

#79 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Hi Anat,

I read in the "PiAstroHub" thread that you will add the support for the FTDI-based usb-serial adapter to trigger the shutter of old-Canon. Is there any updates about it? I have a cooled 400D which performs quite good and without this functions it can not work. I hope it can be ready soon....

Jason

Jason,

I will add the support for FTDI adapters together with the support for SBIG cameras in the next release. Sorry for the delay. It would be released in two months.

Best regards,
Anat

#80 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi Anat,

As per my previous post, if the 400D is controlled by FTDI-based usb-serial shutter control and I don't need to preview it in iAstrohub, is it possible to control 6D and 400D at the same time?

Jason

Jason,

iAstroHub uses Gphoto2 to control a camera. I think Gphoto2 cannot control two cameras at the same time.

It is possible if controlling camera shutter without previewing on another camera. I am working on adding the support for SBIG cameras. I will look into multiple cameras later.

Anat

Jason,

Right now it is possible for 1 CCD camera and 1 DSLR camera. For the existing release, it should be possible to control two DSLR cameras if you split the shutter release cable into two. But it is not tested.

#81 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hi Anat,

i have my first field test of iAstroHub yesterday. enclosed please find my result. It is a result of the combination of my azeq6 + SW 200F4 + Canon 6D, with 300s exposure time. the picture is resize to 200% or original size. The star shape is perfect. Great software. All credit to you!!

Jason

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for the test shot :)

Best regards,
Anat

#82 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hi Anat,

I see you did put a lot of effort and work into the CCD focus/autofocus feature and that sounds great.
I was wondering whether/how all that work could be ported to the DSLR world and an Arduino focuser.
Would you please briefly explain how the system works at present and the functions implemented by now?

Thanks a lot.
Ciao,
Piero

Hi Piero,

The autofocus routine will move the focuser and take shots in sequences. After each shot is read, it will find the HFD for each focuser position. Then the values of HFD and positions are shown in the chart (V curve). After the sequence is completed, the position with the lowest HFD is computed. Then the focuser will move to the position.

To apply to a DSLR, you need to read the raw file and convert it to FITs using dcraw. Then use Openskyimager to load the image to get the HFD. Please look in the file "vcurve.c" to understand how the routine works.

Since we can use DSLRdashboard for liveview, I didn't take an effort to implement the autofocus routine for DSLR :) DSLRdashboard for iOS may be available soon.

Best regards,
Anat

#83 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Dear Developers&users,
Do Nikon Cameras need a usb shuttle control wire to enable Bulb mode with the help of iAstroHub?Thanks.
Great program and will try it soon.
Cheers,
Jerome

Jerome,

Only new Nikon dslrs support bulb exposure via a usb cable. I think it is after D7xxx. If you have an older model, you will need a DSUSB cable or FTDI usb adapter (for the next release).

Best regards,
Anat

#84 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

I have problems with the MK808B. The procedure seems not working on this device. The link http://www.freaktab....-1-6-Custom-ROM is broken. Should I use finless rom v1.7 or 2.1? RKAndroidTools (ROM_Flash_Tool_137 on 2.1) doesn't probe the device.

You need finless rom 2.1 for MK808b. If the device is not seen, it means the usb driver is not properly installed. Please follow the README attached with the finless rom carefully.

#85 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

The link to get the finless rom for MK808 here
http://www.freaktab....-1-6-Custom-ROM
is broken.

For MK808, please get the finless rom 1.5a from
https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

For MK808, please use the finless rom 2.1 from
http://www.freaktab....)-JB-4-2-2-O...

#86 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hi Anat,

thanks for the explanation.
From what I understand, DSLR dashboard should work with any PTP compliant camera, right?
My Pentax K-5 is one of such PTP cameras, I'm trying to connect to it through ddserver on iAH but with no success so far.
On the DSLR dashboard client on my tablet I configure it to connect to 10.0.0.1:4757, but when I push the "connect to linux" button nothing happens.
Does it need a direct connection to the MK808 or can it work also through the USB hub?

Thank you and welcome back! :)
Ciao,
Piero

#87 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Piero,

You may try the cross platform version for windows
http://dslrdashboard.info/
to test using a USB cable first. I have not seen any report on Pentax with Dslrdashboard.

BTW, You can connect DSLR to a usb hub. Press start dslrdashboard server in the admin page.

Best regards,
Anat

#88 inZet

inZet

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

You need finless rom 2.1 for MK808b. If the device is not seen, it means the usb driver is not properly installed. Please follow the README attached with the finless rom carefully.

I had to press the hidden button near the blue light while pluggin in the USB cable and after the drivers where installed the ROM Flash Tool recognized the device.
Now the system boots properly but freezes after drivers/mmc/core/core.c ==== mmc rescan is displayed.
I used a 32GB SDHC. If the iAstroHub images is 8G, what happened to the remaining 24G?

#89 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Now the system boots properly but freezes after drivers/mmc/core/core.c ==== mmc rescan is displayed.

I think it boots properly. If you press Alt-F1, do you get the login screen? Next, you need to make the wifi chip work by typing commands provided in Page1 of this thread.

I used a 32GB SDHC. If the iAstroHub images is 8G, what happened to the remaining 24G?

The rest of space is not allocated. So type "sudo gparted" in the command prompt in Mobaxterm. The GUI will open. Then expand the partition to 32 GB.

#90 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

You may try the cross platform version for windows
http://dslrdashboard.info/
to test using a USB cable first. I have not seen any report on Pentax with Dslrdashboard.

BTW, You can connect DSLR to a usb hub. Press start dslrdashboard server in the admin page.

Hi Anat,

I tried with the Windows version but it crashes on my win7 laptop ;)
However, I tested the same windows version with wine in linux and, although it does not crash ;) , it doesn't connect to the server.
Once I push the "wireless" button, I enter iAH's ip address but then nothing happens.
The server is correctly reachable through telnet and the camera is correctly connected to iAH (it operates perfecly with pktriggercord) but dslrdashboard doesn't seem to see it.
No other clues for now, maybe I should ask in a dslrdashboard forum or something.

Ciao,
Piero

#91 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hi Piero,

Did you try the usb connection? You may report the problem to the developer. He usually replies pretty quickly. I have not seen people use DSLRdashboard with Pentax.

These are forums for dslrdashboard:
http://forum.lrtimel...d-dslrdashboard
http://dslrdashboard.info/forum/
http://forum.xda-dev...slr-dashboar...

Best regards,
Anat

#92 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Maybe Pentax K5 is not supported:
https://code.google....ues/detail?id=5
http://forum.lrtimel...ead-3027-3.html

#93 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info Anat, so it seems that my Pentax K5 is not supported by the app :(
I'll try other routes to autofocusing, possibly porting your work to DSLR.
Thanks a lot.

Ciao,
Piero

#94 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hello Anat
thanks for anwering.
I'm ok with using skychart to see the platesolve "on the fly", and use skysafari to drive the mount. It's fine,so. Very often i just use mount directly for the goto and skysafari to search and read informations on objects.

I just disabled autostart of OSI (i dont need it), the rest is perfect as is.

I can report two successful nights of pinpoint starts by using iastrohub 1.0.0! It's fantastic!
lin_guider is not maybe as evoluted as phd guiding but he does it's work perfectly out of the box once you've learned to use it, and yes, it's also stable and fast.

dslr dashboard is fine for focusing, then i switch to the webpage to plan exposures and use dithering.

Thank you for the very good work

#95 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

mega1977:

Thanks for the report :) The Bathinov mask works well with the live view for focusing. I can't wait to see the Dslrdashboard beta version on iOS :)

Best regards,
Anat

#96 inZet

inZet

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

I think it boots properly. If you press Alt-F1, do you get the login screen?

Nothing happens.
The screen seems frozen. The boot loader seems to run: if I remove the SDHC card, it stops booting. If I insert the SD card, boot doesn't continue.
I add some screenshots. The first image is the final result. It seems the screen is out-of-sync, the video image flashes. The first screens are printed in smaller characters.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6572772-IMG_20140609_182615_800.jpg

#97 ggkids

ggkids

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Perugia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

This is the kernel for MK808B
https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

You need to run four commands in the command line:
sudo cp system/etc/firmware/fw_bcmdhd.bin system/etc/firmware/fw_bcmdhd.bin.bak
sudo cp system/etc/firmware/fw_RK903.bin system/etc/firmware/fw_bcmdhd.bin
sudo cp system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal.bak
sudo cp system/etc/wifi/nvram_RK903.cal system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal

In Release 1.0.1, it will be neater than this :)

Hello guys,
just a revision for who is not familiar with linux world: the commands must have a "/" before system/etc ... :)
Clear skies!

#98 ggkids

ggkids

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

The rest of space is not allocated. So type "sudo gparted" in the command prompt in Mobaxterm. The GUI will open. Then expand the partition to 32 GB.

Hello Anat,
I tried to expand the partition but it seems to be locked so I create a new 8gb parition with the unallocated space, is there a chance to make this usable for the system?

Clear Skies!

#99 ggkids

ggkids

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hello guys,
first of all thank Anat for your splendid work! I received MK808B yesterday and I made it working with iAstroHub in few hours. I am testing on field tomorrow and I will share with you all the results. I have some questions resulted after the first test:
1) Is it possible to download RAWs from dslr to MK808B filesystem in order to have a redundant copy oh them?
2) It seems gphoto is not able to start capturing if the camera display has been switched off; I have a Canon 1100D and I think is better to switch off LCD in order to avoid heat and noise generation during the capture. Did you experience something like that?
3) In order to use Dithering have I check "Use DT" in Lin_guider driver setting?
4) How does MK808B consume in order of current? Is it possible to power it by a 1/1.2 A usb hub? ( my one is dlink DUB-H7)

Thanks in advance for your kind support.

Clear Skies!

#100 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

ggkids: create a filesystem (mkfs command) on it and put it in /etc/fstab so it is mounted at boot at a mountpoint/directory where you need more space.

If you want to extend the root filesystem, you have to do it offline i think, by booting from a rescue system.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics