•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

JCPenney 60mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

I thought ide share a couple pics and a little story of my late 60`s early 70`s JCPenney 60mm refractor.

The 60mm JCP refractor was my very first scope, its what started it all for me, unfortunately at my young age and through use and neglect i didnt take propper care of " my original " 60mm refractor.
Through meeting my Great friend Walter " NGC6475 " here on CN i learned of his owning the same identical scope that i once had.
A couple months later i recieved a PM from Walter offering
to sell the little jewel at a great deal as Walter knew the
sentimental value i held towards the little refractor.
What can i say but the feeling was " priceless " of once again owning the little scope that brings back so many memories fom my earlier days... Again a Huge THANKS Walter.
:)

Attached Thumbnails

• 687848-JCP-Refractor-60mm.jpg

#2 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

And here`s a shot of the accessory tray with the little battery powered light along with some of the goodies :grin:
As can be seen the scope is still in mint condition after roughly 35 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• 687853-JCPRefractor-60mm-A.jpg

#3 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

I`ll try and get a couple sharper closeups later on of the focuser ect...

#4 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

And here`s a shot of the accessory tray with the little battery powered light along with some of the goodies :grin:
As can be seen the scope is still in mint condition after roughly 35 years.

Wow, I fondly recall that variable "zoom" erecting eyepiece!
Had one with my long lost Tasco 17T refractor.

That JC Penney is one snazzy lookin' scope! :waytogo:

#5 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Clive,
Gota love that powder blue color..
Eventually once i get time and clear weather again i`ll
get it out for some more old time views, my first time
ever seeing saturn through a scope was through the JCP 60mm.

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

Looks identical to my Sears 'Discoverer and Orbit 'Scope' scopes. Well, if the car manufacturers can put different labels on the same car...
Its always nice to see these wind up in appreciative hands instead of degrading away in a damp basement. (In this case from one set of caring hands to another!)
Does your focuser have a really long rough draw tube? I notice that on some of these 60x700s the tube is shorter with a longer draw tube, while others, like my Towa, have a longer barrel with no draw tube, just the fine focus.
Well done.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 688035-Orbit Scope and Sears Discoverer.JPG

#7 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hi Kieth, mine has about 1.5" of focuser travel.
The focuser has some pretty smooth focusing action/feel to
it. The scope is labeled 60mm f800mm.
I had a .965 to 1.25 adapter so i put that on so i could use
a 1.25 diagonal and some better plossl`s, some of the plossl`s
look like they`l need barrel extensions to reach focus.

#8 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:40 PM

I have one of those.

It's seen better days... I mean nights... :(

#9 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

Cool! got a little bit sand blasted did it.. :grin:

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Let's just say it's not the years, it's the milage...

#11 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:23 PM

Well, I'm certainly gratified Big Dave likes his "new" scope! When it landed in my hands, it was in virtually new condition, and I only assembled it once. I took a few snapshots and put it away until Dave mentioned he had one like it when he was a sprout. These old Japanese scopes frequently have pretty good optics, and this one's in very fine physical condition, so I asked Dave if he wanted it for old time's sake. Being the tough negotiator he is, of course, Dave twisted my arm and bought the scope away from me! Whew!:roflmao: I'm very happy Dave likes it and I hope he enjoys it for many years to come!

#12 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

The department store 60mm refractor of the modern age has sadly declined in quality. Here's one time when it can be said, with complete justification, that they just don't make 'em like they used to!

My old JC Penny 60mm refractor needed a new mount and tripod for a long time. I gave up trying to repair or replace it, bought rings to adapt it to my existing SVP mount (which it was to share with a PST), and tried to convert it to white light solar observing. But the old focuser had by then given its all, and believe me when I say these things don't focus too precisely when used as a draw tube! :p

#13 Dave M

Dave M

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

The department store 60mm refractor of the modern age has sadly declined in quality. Here's one time when it can be said, with complete justification, that they just don't make 'em like they used to!

Thats for sure!, although i have seen Walmart has been selling a few of the smaller Meade scopes recently, i usually see them in Walmarts Optometrist centers around the holidays.

#14 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

What Walmart OUGHT to do is incorporate observatories onto their facilities- they're big enough. They also have enough Chinese involvement to get bargains on some adequate optics. Let the customer try a scope out while the kids look at toys. Heck they combine bookstores and coffeehouses, so why not? Though I'd imaging the heat bubble from the parking lot might be an issue (and the lights!).

Jess Tauber

#15 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi Keith!
I have one of the Orbit Scopes, that we purchased 15 years ago at a garage sale for 25 dollars. Do you have an infromation on them? One thing missing on ours is the rod that goes from the side of the scope to the altaz mount. Could you show a closer pic of that?
Without it, the mount lets the scope wobble al over the place, so when I want to use it, I pipe clamp it into a homemade equitorial.
Asside from that, the sope is relatively complete- wooden box, tripod, and a couple of the smaller eyepices.
Do you have any history?
Thanks a bunch
Carol W.

#16 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:00 PM

Hi Carol,

I have absolutely no info on this scope, other than I had heard that these were the brand Sears sold before their Discoverer line, but I can't even be sure of that. I'll get a close-up pic of the altitude lock bar for you in a day or so, but it is not any different than the majority of others on scopes of similar construction.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics