•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade SN6

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Fellows

Chuck Fellows

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:15 AM

I just picked up a used Meade SN6 OTA from Astromart and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. I've long been a fan of MakNewts, owning both an MN66 and a custom 7.1 MN. I had to work on the SN6 a bit to get it collimated. Also, someone had messed around with the mirror cell causing the mirror to be loose enough to move when going from vertical to horizontal. But I've got it all back together and I really like the views through this little scope.

The focuser is also going to need some work or replacement. It really needs a crayford since the rack and pinion has a fair amount of backlash in it.

I'll have to do a comparison with it against my MN66 and see how it stacks up. So far, for the price, it looks like a keeper.

Chuck

#2 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

Joe C at mercury systems support sells a nice focuser for the SNs. I bought his FF1 for my Orion XT10i and it's a gem - well worth the investment.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:59 AM

The site u mentioned offers an FF2 ...seems to be an add on set of knobs/gears . Not a complete unit. I have read ppl are getting good results with the 1240 motor for use on the meade SN's it gives fine focus control. With a motorized solution backlash is reduced since the gears are engaged from the motor side.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

A Borg Helical Focuser S will fix up the rack and pinion fairly well. The R&P is only used for coarse focusing. Mine supports a Powermate and heavy Axiom EP just fine and still retains butter smooth focusing. The JMI NGF-55 Crayford will set you back $289, and I thought that a bit much. Unfortunately, the Borg will not support 2" EP's, but a 30mm Ultima is the widest I can use straight up anyway.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics