•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Vixen 30x125?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:27 AM

I saw a used (possibly store demo) one at a local shop for 198,000 yen ($1900) and I'm wondering if it's an incredibly good deal or not. I understand these are discontinued and hard to come by. Has anyone here used one?

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

There are two articles in the Lab Reports section describing these Vixen Binocs and comparing them to ITE BT100s.

edz

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

Oops, thanks. I admit I didn't get around to registering for the paid service until now. :o

Reading about the collimation problems effectively killed my enthusiasm for this item. Oh well, saved me $2000. :crazy:

#4 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hi Ken,

Orion(USA) dropped the Vixen 30X125 from their catalog about 3 years ago. I believe the last price was ~US$ 3,495. $1,900 sounds like a pretty good deal if this one is in good conditon. Can you ask for a 7 day trial period?

I've always liked the design and feautres of the Vixen 125mm because the price includes a nice fork mount, tripod and 45 deg EPs. I thought the 25-75 zoom model offers the ideal power range for giant binos as well. The only thing I didn't like is the narrow 1.6 deg FOV at 25X. I guess we can't have everything.

Our webmaster Allister used to have a review of the Vixen 125 VS. the Chinese military 100mm on this web site but it's no longer available. I may have a printed copy somewhere. I will look for it. If I recall correctly Allister felt Chinese 100mm binos had somwhat better edge sharpness but the Vixen 125s offered much better ergonomics and viewing comfort.

Phil Harrington wrote a favorable review of the 25-75X 125 Vixen a few years ago. You may be able to find it on the web if you do a search.

Erik D

PS. I liked what you wrote about ' --- Marriage' on the Off-topic forum. My wife has no interest in astronomy or optics but I asked her to read your posts on that subject. She was impressed by your views AND your presentation. Thinks our 13 year old should read it too. ;-)

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Erik.

The "missing" articles are in the "Lab Reports" section, which isn't free. ($20/yr subscription)

I think I'll stop by the shop again this weekend and find out more.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics