•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Olivon 22mm 70 deg eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

I finally decided to take the plunge and try one of the Olivon 70 deg eyepieces Don is carrying. This is one solid eyepiece. I tried first light under poor conditions last night. I will try again tonight but clouds are threatening as the Sun sets.

Funny thing - the silkscreen labels it as a 1.25" eyepiece but it is 2". It gives it some character. Here is the eye candy:

Attached Thumbnails

• 6510691-image.jpg

• happylimpet likes this

#2 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Field lense view:

Attached Thumbnails

• 6510693-image.jpg

#3 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

For comparison:

Attached Thumbnails

• 6510695-image.jpg

#4 EuropaWill

EuropaWill

Apollo

• Loc: Lower Hudson Valley NY

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Congrats. I'm looking forward to learning more about your thoughts on this unit. Especially compared with the ES 68 20mm which I own.

#5 precaud

precaud

Aurora

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Looks nice! Looking forward to your reports.

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Isn't that the same as the Celestron 22mm Ultima LX in a different outer casing? :question:

#7 mikecase

mikecase

Sputnik

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

It looks bigger than I would have guessed.

#8 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Congrats. I'm looking forward to learning more about your thoughts on this unit. Especially compared with the ES 68 20mm which I own.

I compared the 20mm ES68 with the 22mm Olivon on the Moon using a 2.4x Dakin barlow and an extension tube so that both eyepieces were at 96x. The Olivon was as sharp as the ES68 on the Moon. I actually found the Olivon more comfortable. The eye seems to more naturally find the sweet spot and the field stop is more easily seen once the sweet spot is found.

The Olivon has a sharper field stop. Unfortunately, the skies were not the greatest in terms of turbulence. with extension tubes and the Dakin barlow I had the 22mm Olivon at 120x, but the skies never gave those really crisp moments. But I was able to see the the Olivon is easy to use without blackouts, has a nice presentation and I see the cool tone that Don has mentioned. Stars seem very vibrant in this eyepiece.

If under moonless conditions it has minimal edge of field brightening it will be a real winner.

If clear skies hold, and if I wake up in the night when the Moon has set, I may sacrifice an hour of sleep to check it out.

Dave
  • happylimpet and 25585 like this

#9 mikecase

mikecase

Sputnik

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like a decent eyepiece so far. I've been eyeing the 17 and 13 for a little while now but have hesitated given the lack of available reviews (and also that the 2" 22 is mislabeled as a 1.25" eyepiece, not exactly confidence inspiring). I'll be curious how these perform under better conditions. Thanks for taking one for the team.

#10 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

I got up at 3:15am. No clouds or moon so I was able to really test for EOFB. The 22mm Olivon has very very mild EOFB. It is not a distraction and I didn't even think I was seeing it continuously. That is very good news because many otherwise excellent eyepieces have turned out to have too much EOFB for my tastes.

Had some real nice quick looks at a few summer showcase objects: M27, M71, M8, M17 ... And so on. When the scope finally cooled for the last 20min I was out the 22mm Olivon started to show the stars as tight pinpoints rivaling the ES68's - which themselves rival the 19mm Pan.

This eyepiece is not prone to blackouts at all. It is very comfortable and natural.

Dave
  • 25585 likes this

#11 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

:gotpopcorn:

I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread, for sure. The big question in my mind is how it compares to a 22mm Astro-Tech AF-70 or a 22m Vixen LVW. I tried the 22AF-70 in an f/5 refractor, and it was pretty sharp to about 85% out from center, with a little bit of off-axis astigmatism and field curvature. A borrowed Paracorr on my 12" f/4.9 cleaned up the edges almost to perfection.

How does the 22OL-70 do in terms of contrast, edge sharpness and lateral color?

Clear Skies,
Phil

#12 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

Could you point the eyepiece at Jupiter and check for eye glint, and point it at the Moon and the area immediately around it to check for glare and reflections?

#13 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

What about eye relief for glasses wearers?
  • 25585 likes this

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

That answer will vary, since different glasses wearers have different requirements in that regard. But it has a large "effective" eye relief, which is what counts, just like the TeleVue Delos, Pentax XW, Baader Hyperion, Vixen LVW, and several other 70 degree eyepieces with long eye relief. The AT AF70's extra-stiff eyecup reduces its effective eye relief, though it can be removed or folded down.

I would think very few eyeglass wearers would find the eye relief too small. I would put the eye relief at about 17mm above the eyecup when the eyecup is rolled in all the way, and 20mm from the lens.
  • 25585 likes this

#15 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

It looks bigger than I would have guessed.

It is a little heavier and longer than my 28mm ES68 but also a little narrower. It handles very nicely and ... no undercut!

Dave

#16 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Sounds like a decent eyepiece so far. I've been eyeing the 17 and 13 for a little while now but have hesitated given the lack of available reviews (and also that the 2" 22 is mislabeled as a 1.25" eyepiece, not exactly confidence inspiring). I'll be curious how these perform under better conditions. Thanks for taking one for the team.

I think based upon what I've observed so far you can have high confidence in the quality of construction. It matches the ES68's in that regard. Another nice feature is that the top cap and the bottom cap are both 2" so it doesn't matter which end you put the cap on.

Dave

#17 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

<top cap and the bottom cap are both 2">

Dave,

That's the sort of little thing that costs nothing at all.

Someone was actually thinking!

Thanks,
  • 25585 likes this

#18 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

:gotpopcorn:

I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread, for sure. The big question in my mind is how it compares to a 22mm Astro-Tech AF-70 or a 22m Vixen LVW. I tried the 22AF-70 in an f/5 refractor, and it was pretty sharp to about 85% out from center, with a little bit of off-axis astigmatism and field curvature. A borrowed Paracorr on my 12" f/4.9 cleaned up the edges almost to perfection.

How does the 22OL-70 do in terms of contrast, edge sharpness and lateral color?

Clear Skies,
Phil

I'd like to do more observing before I comment on contrast - but it did not strike me as having poor contrast. As for edge performance - it performs about the same as the ES68 in my refractor. When I barlowed the 22mm Olivon to the same magnification as the 20mm ES68 on the Moon, the Olivon was actually better at the edges.

I did see a tiny bit of lateral color right in the last 2% of the field near the field stop - the least lateral color I've ever seen and yet noticed. The 19mm Pan has more I think.

Dave

#19 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Could you point the eyepiece at Jupiter and check for eye glint, and point it at the Moon and the area immediately around it to check for glare and reflections?

Glare was not a problem on the Moon. There was some kind of coating glint or reflection. Here is what I saw: When I looked at the Moon and the lit portion was off the center of the field there was a purple/green spot of reflection of some kind. It was not shaped like anything and flared around the very center slightly as I moved my eye. It seemed like it could have been a reflection off my eye or some kind of coating reflection. When the Moon was centered this reflection could not be seen and it was of no consequence for lunar observations.

Dave

#20 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

I think it will definitely depend upon your eyeglasses. My new glasses have a more curved shape and seem to require several mm more of eye relief than my old glasses. I can see the full field without contact with the top rubber surface, but small movements will sometimes bring light contact - so Don's 17mm estimate seems right to me. The rubber sleeve that goes over the twist up eyeguard can be removed and this gains another 1-2mm of eye relief. When I removed this rubber sleeve the eyepiece was completely comfortable with my glasses off. This sleeve removes and resets very easily.

Note - I don't need to remove the sleeve to comfortably use my glasses, but removing it makes it even more comfortable.

Dave
  • Heywood and 25585 like this

#21 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

<top cap and the bottom cap are both 2">

Dave,

That's the sort of little thing that costs nothing at all.

Someone was actually thinking!

Thanks,

Yes - I think some real thought went into the specifications of these eyepieces. Identical caps on both ends, no safety undercut, excellent internal blackening from what I can tell. Internal surfaces seem dark and I can see at least one internal baffle. FWIW I believe this may be a factor in why the eyepiece seems to have very little EOFB. The quality of the annodizing is outstanding. The eyepiece has a very rugged feel and the coatings look really nice.

Dave

#22 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Isn't that the same as the Celestron 22mm Ultima LX in a different outer casing? :question:

I really can't say. Even if it is the same basic optics, the Olivon's may be manufactured with better internal baffling and blackening, improved coatings, different glass types ... it is hard to say.

Dave

#23 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yes they're the same as; AT AF 70, Celestron Ultima LX and Arcturus Ultimate 70. Starman1 (Don) had done a comparison of a few these clones not too long ago if I'm not mistaken and prefered the Olivon.
-Rob

#24 EuropaWill

EuropaWill

Apollo

• Loc: Lower Hudson Valley NY

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

Some promising first light feedback Dave, thanks!

So far from what i'm hearing, it has very slight EOFB, slightly less sharp than the ES68 but mnore comfortable to use. I wasn't clear if you felt the unbarlowed 22mm had a sharper edge correction than the ES68 20mm in your refractor... Also, What did you mean the field stop was sharper in the OL22 vs the ES68 20? My ES68's field stop is sharp as a knife edge.

Olivon should really fix or remove that silly huge "1.25" text on their eyepieces. It's unnecessary information that clutters the look of the EP making their packaging look amateurish. Just my $.02.

#25 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

They are removing the size label from future production.
Does that make these "collector's items"? :lol: :tonofbricks:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics