•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Online articles about vintage & collectible scopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:29 PM

To collectors of fine vintage telescopes everywhere, or those who need technical information about a particular scope:

I have been writing a series of articles about vintage and collectible telescopes entitled "A SAMPLING OF TELESCOPES FOR THE AMATEUR ASTRONOMER." I am trying to be very thorough in each segment, describing such aspects as year of production, a short history of the scope, accessories included with the instrument, and observations actually made through the scope. They are very time consuming, but do fill a much needed gap in the field of documenting amateur instrumentation from the period 1950-1985. They are intended for informational purposes and are copyrighted by our club. My time and effort is free for the astronomy club.

The articles can be found by using yahoo and typing in: www.rca-omsi.org/ From the top of the webpage please pick Newsletter. Look at the table of contents from the pdf archived back issues of THE ROSETTE GAZETTE NEWSLETTER (Rose City Astronomers of Portland, Oregon) to find my articles. I have just had "A SAMPLING OF TELESCOPES FOR THE AMATEUR ASTRONOMER--PART 11" published in the last November 2005 issue. Part 12 has already been submitted for review and possible publication in the next December 2005 issue. It is a three-page article about Unitron's Model 114 2.4-inch altazimuth refractor telescope. The Unitron in the article is in my personal collection, along with the 1958 Unitron catalogue. Look for the article in print (hopefully) in the next several weeks.

author
John W. Siple

#2 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

Welcome to CN, and thanks for the info! I have been reading your articles at and I am thoroughly impressed by your expertise and your collection! I hope you continue to participate in this forum!

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hi John,

Good to see you here (finally :jump: ).

Just reviewing the post archive will show there is a huge interest in this era, and you might see a familiar scope or two!

Here is an exceptional review posted last year of a vintage refractor from the late 80's which I found extremely informative. http://www.cloudynig...php?item_id=400

Keith

#4 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

Hey John,

Welcome. You and I have exchanged much info over time, but you will find the people here provide even more. This is a great forum for vintage scopes.

Steve

#5 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for that John, yes welome to Cloudy Nights and this forum where there are any number of like minded enthusiasts!

I have followed your series of articles since you started them, having come across the early installments by chance with a Yahoo search for "f/15".

A agree with your assessment of the Towa 3"ers, they do indeed have a first rate business end - if only my AR 5 had the same quality!

I have tried over the years to get hold of the instruction sheet, it is the only piece missing from mine having gone walkabout somehow. I once suggested in this forum that we try and have an e-bank of old out of production manuals.

regards, Robert Graham.

#6 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:40 AM

Hey John
Welcome to the forum
I have been reading your articles for some time.

Can you tell me if you know anything about the Royal F20 60mm refractor by Astro optical. Here's the thread I had posted:
http://www.cloudynig...ll/fpart/1/vc/1

I know that one of the guys from the forum had asked you about this on my behalf. Would love to get your assessment as I have not been able to locate any other scope like it.

Looking forward to your feedback
Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics