•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Nikon 12 x 50 SE available in Europe?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:08 PM

Doing some "serious research" on the Internet today I believe I found out that the Nikon 12 x 50 SE is available in Europe from Markus Ludes:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/englisch/

Choose "Our Products", then Binoculars, then Nikon, then "Naturbeobachtung" and they are at the bottom of the page. A mere 919 Euros.

In the UK I have only been able to find the 8 x 32 and 10 x 42s for sale at Ace Cameras in Bath. I don't know if they sell the 12 x 50s.

Thought that may interest you Kenny. (Unless you really want to visit NYC anyway.)

Best wishes

Bruce

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info Bruce,

Funnily enough only a few days ago I actually found a place ( or at least a UK web-site) advertising the 12 x 50 SE.

Cannot remember the site but could probably find it again if you are interested.

Price was advertised as £650 or thereabouts.

Not cheap -- but TREMENDOUS value relatively speaking when compared with the Ultravids coming in at well over £900.

Actually it has long fascinated me why a binocular should cost any more just because it has higher magnification.

I know this is not the case with the Nikon SEs ( for which prices at least rise in some kind of direct proportion to objective size ) and is not always the case with other models -- but it IS a trend that has at times seemed to me to be slightly out of proportion to the possible extra costs of getting more critical collimation within accepted tolerances.

Another oddity is that in some cases ,otherwise "identical" models can actually weigh slightly MORE in the 8x configuration than in the 10x.

Strange but true.

BTW Bruce -- have YOU got any closer to making a decision ?

Regards -- Kenny.

#3 Charlie Fisher

Charlie Fisher

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:07 PM

Kenny,

For lower magnification, at least for a telescope, you generally need longer focal length eyepieces. That makes the eyepiece bigger and heavier. I presume the relationship is the same for binoculars...

So, lower mag would mean longer focal length, and thus bigger and heavier eyepieces, making the lower mag bins heavier.

Odd, but I think true!

Charlie

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:36 AM

Hi Charlie,

Yes I thought along those lines at one stage.

That was before realising that for example the Fujinon FMT SX weighs EXACTLY the same in 10 x 70 and 16 x 70 , and for example the Zeiss Victory 10 x 40 weights 0.7 ounces MORE than the 8 x 40.

Even stranger , but true :-)

Regards --Kenny.

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:54 AM

Not so strange really, that different power binocs in a model line can weigh the same. There are several eyepiece lines that are exactly the same size and weight across a range of focal lengths. Several UO orhtos are the same. Several Radians are the same.

edz

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:33 PM

Ken

No, I haven't made up my mind yet. I thought that I would go for the Minox 10 x 58, which looks very nice indeed, but I then decided to look around at what other premium-quality binoculars were available.

My mind is now well and truly boggled! :confused:

The makes/models now coming into mind are:

Nikon 12 x 50 SE
Leica Trinovid/Ultravid 10 x or 12 x 50
Leica Duovid 10+15 x 50
Zeiss Victory 10 x 56
Optolyth Royal BGA 10 x 56
Optolyth Alpin 12 x 50
Canon IS 15 x 50 (not sure I need the power of 18 x)

As you can see I have widened the search to include some very expensive glass. The cheapest is the Optolyth 12 x 50 which is £299, next is the Optolyth 10 x 56 which is £499. Then it is the Canons, then it is the stratosphere with the Duovids retailing for £1125 and the Ultravids not much less.
At present I am open-minded about whether to go for Porro or Roof prisms; frankly I am not bothered though I like the look of the roofs.

My next step is to go to Bath some time and check out a few of these models to see which I like best. If it turns out that I like the Zeiss best then I'll just have to save up longer than I first thought.
As I said in another thread, this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. As I already have a couple of nice pairs of binoculars I can afford to be patient about buying a third. I suspect that the Leicas and Zeiss have features which I don't really need and that I will base my purchase decision on optical issues alone. To me the crucial matters are relatively wide field of view, optimum magnification and pin-point stars to the edge of field. It's not much to ask is it? :ooo:

What UK site did you see the Nikons?

Bruce

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:49 PM

Here's an update - Amazon have them at £547.59.

http://www.amazon.co...5&link_code=xm2

It says here you can have the chance to earn £50 by writing the first review of these binos. Now far be it for me to suggest somebody does a "cut and paste" from the Cloudynights binocular forum..... :smirk:

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

It says here you can have the chance to earn £50 by writing the first review of these binos. Now far be it for me to suggest somebody does a "cut and paste" from the Cloudynights binocular forum..... :smirk:

Don't all rush at once now :lol:

#9 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:44 PM

Bruce,

The place I saw them was :

http://www.uk-shoppi..._Binoculars.php

And the price is indeed what you quoted ( I don't know where I got my quoted price from ! )

At £547 it is an even more attrative proposition.

I've been searching like a dog on heat for months now trying to find a comparitive review between the 12 x 50 SE and two or three of the others on your ever expanding list, but I'm already as sure as eggs are eggs that you won't get a better all round 12x bino NEW for less than £550.

I even have a hunch that you might not get a better 12x bino PERIOD.

Still there is much fun to be had and experienced to be
gained by actually trying different binoculars out ,and it would be folly to take a chance on spending that
kind of money on any model without trying first.

Enjoy your quest Bruce -- I know did when I had £1000 burning a hole in my pocket 2 years ago.

Regards -- Kenny.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics