•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CassDesign 2 (CD2): May 17, 2014 update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

A few tweaks:

1. You can click on the small layout plot to enlarge it, and still vary the primary baffle tube length with the slider to see the effects on primary obscuration due to either the primary or secondary baffles. You can also click the "Optimize" button to calculate the baffle geometry that gives the minimal central obscuration. Clicking on the plot again shrinks it back to original size.

2. You can also click on the spot diagram plot to enlarge it, and vary all the spot diagram parameters in large mode. Click again, and it shrinks back to original size.

3. I think I have gotten the utility to store CD2 Cassegrain designs in OSLO-EDU format working properly. Due to its 10-surface limit, OSLO-EDU can't draw the baffles like CD2 and Zemax, but the imagery can still be fully analyzed in OSLO-EDU. CD2 and OSLO-EDU layout plots and spots appear to agree very well.

As ever, give this a try and post up any bugs. CD2 is an after-hours hobby I can't spend a lot of time on, but I'll try to get to it when I can.

Enjoy,
Mike

Attached Files

• gregj888 and polaraligned like this

#2 jabil

jabil

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the CASSDESIGN 2 file. It works fine.
Ismail

#3 Dave O

Dave O

Viking 1

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Mike. :)

*edit: I gave it a quick workout; input Texereau's 257 mm Cassegrain prescription into it ... and presto, the numbers matched. Saved it as an OSLO EDU file (5.4) and was impressed with the output! Baffles were pretty cool. ;)

#4 Arjan

Arjan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for this great app!

Some (minor) issues:
- If you save an unexisting cass file, the application crashes (runtime error 53 file not found). Work around: You have to do 'save as' first.
- The saved OSLO file doesn't look right in OSLO-LT 6.1, still trying to figger out what it is.

Edit after some OSLO fiddling:
- Special aperture data (X) don't copy correctly to surfaces 1 and 2.
- The thickness of surface 1 (obstruction to primary) is copied from the final cone length instead of e.g. primary to secondary distance.
- I'm not sure what the baffle structures add to the raytrace...

#5 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Arjan. I used the latest version OSLO-EDU 6.6.2 to learn the file export format and syntax, and wrote the code to that. I have no idea how to make it backward-compatible, but 6.6.2 is up on their site for download now.

That Save versus Save As logic is a little tricky. I'll see if I can get it working better.

Thanks for the beta test!
Mike

#6 Arjan

Arjan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Ah, I see.
I've attached a working len for 6.1, modified from Cass output.

Attached Files

#7 Arjan

Arjan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:04 AM

Well, that is something I never knew. I seem to have a full function OSLO Light, but restricted to 10 surfaces. That appears to be different from OSLO EDU, which also lacks some functions (for example export to CAD file formats).
Strange that the LEN file format also differs...

#8 MKV

MKV

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Mike, when I press "save", it saves it but I don't know where (i.e. there is no menu). With Windows 8.1\, and all the stuff i transferred from my old computer, I am having terrific "fun" trying to find these things (I wish they'd go back to the old format)! Other than that, I love the additions you made. Very nice, and a great contribution to the community. Thanks.

regards,
Mladen

#9 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Thanks all for beta-ing!

The baffles are just there to show them on the layout plots. I used the rod extrusion to generate them in OSLO. They do nothing to the passing light.

Save and Save As are fixed. Stupid little cut-and-paste bug.

Fixed the thickness 1 and 2 problem. Gotta look at the Special Aperture thing more. It may be a version or EDU-vs-LT thing. It seems to work fine in 6.6.2. Everyone that hasn't updated should, anyway. You can't beat free.

Will post up a new thread this evening with the fixes. This is piddly. I can't imagine what Ken Moore, Doug Sinclair and Dandy Don Dilworth have gone through.

Mike

#10 Arjan

Arjan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hello Mike,

I am trying to run this under 64bit Win7, to no avail. Do you know how to get this done?

Cheers,

Arjan

#11 Arjan

Arjan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

OK, got it to work now:

1. download comdlg32.ocx (e.g. here)
  2. store in C:\Window\SysWOW64
  3. run as Administrator: REGSVR32  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.ocx
  4. restart PC

Edited by Arjan, 15 January 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#12 LarsMalmgren

LarsMalmgren

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

OK, got it to work now:

1. download comdlg32.ocx (e.g. here)
  2. store in C:\Window\SysWOW64
  3. run as Administrator: REGSVR32  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.ocx
  4. restart PC

The comdlg32.ocx file is also a part of the FigureXP software from the Stellafane web-site.

So that's another source where you can get the file from.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics