•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mystery of the melting binocular

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#126 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:42 PM

Not a rubber problem but the vinyl fake leather on my old Nikon 8x23 Venturer IIs had got very chalky.  Tried applications of Aerospace Protectant 303 and Bicks leather conditioner, both of which worked only briefly.  Latest attempt is Super Lube pure silicone oil and after a couple of weeks it still looks like new.  They are a nice light inexpensive pair I have taken all over and I am fond of them so hoping this works.  Otherwise it might mean a goo gone soak to try to get the covering off but too likely to get the stuff inside.

Dave

#127 dswtan

dswtan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for this thread -- just dug out my ~25yr-old Celestron Ultima 7x50s for Comet Neowise and discovered this sticky/gooey problem! Reminded me of a computer mouse or two of 10-15yrs vintage that went similarly. Sounds like I just need to go "all in" with some rubbing alcohol and clean it off then? Not enough value in these to send for professional repair I'm sure. 

#128 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

dswtan, we've all been there....

That rubber paint was a complete failure.  My father has a pair of bins glued to the case, and my younger brother has a Kowa TSN 823 that had the same melted paint issue....

As for myself, both a VW Jetta and VW Golf had melting rubber painted trim.....

David MCGO, try using some balistol.  I've had good luck bringing rubber/plastic back to life with it.

"Old rubber paint never dies, it just fades away..."

Edited by slingworks, 19 July 2020 - 07:16 PM.

• dswtan likes this

#129 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

"Woah'", from a new member... Hello all. I just read the whole thread through - which I see not all replyers have done . And a  wonderful thread this is!

I would say the problem with meltings/deteriorations is a combination of 1) the (difficult) top layer design and 2) the (possible) subcontractors' inability to produce quality material the design insists. Probably namely the quality of "rubber" mixture batches varies. Of course a Canon flaw to the end, which seems to produce different results. Sometimes great if you're lucky, sometimes the miserable opposite. Sometimes acceptable, deteriorating only after heavy usage. But all in all, the customer have no idea beforehand, what to expect. And an average person expects top class, the instrument being a high priced Canon.

Canon really should address the problem and do some re-designing to the top layer of the casing. Or maybe they are trying everything to fix the mixture... At least they must have been aware of the problem a long time ago. And, they should respect people with faulty devices, without blaming them of misuse. Shame on you, Canon.

I found here, because I wanted to read everything about the Canon 10x30 IS II. And even after having read nearly everything possible, this thread included, I just placed my order for that model. Other specifications are more important to me, so I'm taking the risk of rubbish "rubber" layer. And there's really no other option to me with same specs and price. From other owned devices - e.g. phones - I know the casing can get damaged. Albeit not acceptable if it does so without reason, it is not always so disastrous - because it doesn't mean anything to the Canon's optics.

And there could be a fix that I like. I did not see anyone rubbing off the top layer, and after that glueing on some real leather instead. Thin leather is not very difficult to lay even on slightly curved surfaces. Hmm, I haven't even handled the device yet, so too early to say if that would be easy. But after seeing the wonders that Suddarth has done, why not... I've done that to an old phone, looks good. Also laid a plastic case with leather for a friend. After all there's nothing to lose if my Canon's rubber starts to peel off after the warranty period. Right now I'm of course feeling lucky, while expecting to get my Canon next week - and first time ever getting to peek into a IS binocular. Huh'.

Edited by Pikku-iikka, 25 July 2020 - 08:45 AM.

• WWTech likes this

#130 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Wow, I have recently been looking at some IS binos, and I also read about this "melting" problem with the Canons in other places.  It's a shame they can't seem to get it right after all this time.  They are tempting to try, but at this price point, I find something like this absolutely unacceptable.

#131 sloanbj

sloanbj

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

I have a pair of Canon 10x30 IS which were never even used outside the house, much less near any oils or mosquito repellents.  They were fine in Australia but as soon as we moved to Brazil (seaside) the  coating turned to a completely gooey mess. Unusable.  I put them away.

Today I took them out (trip coming up) and spent an hour with a microfiber cloth and bottle of isopropyl alcohol.  All clean!  The coating is very thin and wipes off instantly leaving behind hard plastic.  The tricky part is the area between the oculars which is hard to get the cloth into.

I use them with the neck strap, so being supposedly slippery isn't an issue for me.  I pulled out the 8 year old batteries, including one which corroded and put in a fresh set. Works fine.

Good luck everyone.

• ArsMachina, ihf and WWTech like this

#132 Sky King

Sky King

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

I have a pair of Canon 10x30 IS which were never even used outside the house, much less near any oils or mosquito repellents.  They were fine in Australia but as soon as we moved to Brazil (seaside) the  coating turned to a completely gooey mess. Unusable.  I put them away.

Today I took them out (trip coming up) and spent an hour with a microfiber cloth and bottle of isopropyl alcohol.  All clean!  The coating is very thin and wipes off instantly leaving behind hard plastic.  The tricky part is the area between the oculars which is hard to get the cloth into.

I use them with the neck strap, so being supposedly slippery isn't an issue for me.  I pulled out the 8 year old batteries, including one which corroded and put in a fresh set. Works fine.

Good luck everyone.

Welcome! Every time someone posts to this thread I spend a few minutes cleaning my 12x36 IS II goo. Around the oculars is tough to get at! Mine are very usable at this point. I bought a gooy pair used, and because of the goo, they were very cheap. I found this thread and Cloudy Nights, looking for a way to clean them.

#133 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

So once the rubber coating has been removed to the plastic frame, do you commonly apply anything such as a stick on gripper surface or leave it (gasp!) NUDE?  Regards, Pat

#134 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

Use lithium AA batteries, they don’t leak. Recently replaced mine that had actually exceeded their use by date...

Peter

#135 dmorrow

dmorrow

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

So once the rubber coating has been removed to the plastic frame, do you commonly apply anything such as a stick on gripper surface or leave it (gasp!) NUDE?  Regards, Pat

This happened to my Celestron Ultima 8x56s.  It eventually got so bad (Black bits and goo everywhere whenever I touched it) that I took a razor and cut it off.  I used it “nude” for a while but it really didn’t look good, pretty bad in fact.   The optics were excellent however, so I sent it to Suddarth to give a good look over, do a professional collimation on his optical bench and a reskin.  Hope to have them back in a couple of weeks.  

Celestron refused to honor the “lifetime” warranty, but the optics really were excellent and the cost for equivalent new binoculars was more than suddarth’s charge.  

#136 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:24 PM

Might be a good anti theft tool- one look at em and and the uninitiated wouldn't bother lifting them! I have some Kowa 7x35 10 deg that look like thrift store rejects- all the leatherette is gone. But the mechanics and focus are so nice I use them the way they are.                                                                                                                                                                         Pat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics