•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
3625 replies to this topic

#226 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think with the influx of questions on a shroud I'll document how to make one out of the foam sheet. It took me about 20 minutes to make a shroud that is attached to the top of the OneSky, slides in the OTA when collapsed (credit where credit is due - Steve's design was the inspiration, his mod seems very solid)

Great! And with your permission we'll post the plans on our site.

Mike
  • BFaucett likes this

#227 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

I was out tonight with the AWB 130 for about an hour and a half and had a fantastic session with this fun scope from my red zone back yard (mag 5 stars visible near zenith with some concentration):

M70, M54, M22 - my first ever views of these globs; very low in the Southern sky but M22 was still amazing at 97x with many stars resolved

M29 - the 2.5º TFOV of the scope frames Gamma Cygni, M29, and the double star between them nicely

Albeiro (Beta Cygni) - great color contrast double

Double Double (Epsilon Lyrae) - nicely split at 97x

M57 - good at 97x

Cr 399 / Brocchi's cluster / Coathanger - great in 6x30 finder and 24mm

M27 - large and bright at 97x

M52 - nice at 97x

Double Cluster - wonderful at 27x

• jlandy and BFaucett like this

#228 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

I think with the influx of questions on a shroud I'll document how to make one out of the foam sheet. It took me about 20 minutes to make a shroud that is attached to the top of the OneSky, slides in the OTA when collapsed (credit where credit is due - Steve's design was the inspiration, his mod seems very solid)

Great! And with your permission we'll post the plans on our site.

Mike

I look forward to seeing that forum come up. I'll post instructions on how I made my shroud, and other mod's to the Onesky.

• havasman and BFaucett like this

#229 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Alright, made a new shroud tonight to show how I made mine. Took under an hour, but that was with taking pictures and dealing with the puppy.

First picture: Material List 

2 sheets of 12x18" EVA foam from Michaels - $1 each

Glue Gun

Razor (or scissors)

Tape Measurer

Optional - straight edge, will help a lot with making clean cuts

Step 1 - Cut the foam sheet

the total length you need is 18.85". I have found that finishing with a total length of 18.5" will give you enough leeway to have the shroud slide easily without introducing large gaps. Cut the 2" off the 18" wide foam sheet (save this strip, you'll use this later). Cut an additional 2.5" wide length of the extra foam sheet, and another 2" wide strip

Step 2 - Lay down some glue (sorry about the horrible quality of this picture)

Slide the 2.5" strip against the 16" wide sheet. lay a stream of glue across the seam

Step 3 - Glue the 16" sheet and 2.5" strip together with a 2" strip

After placing the strip, I used a heavy book to seal the glue. When that has cooled, glue half of the second 2" strip along the edge of the 2.5" strip. this will leave a tab to glue when you roll the sheet

Step 4 - Roll the sheet, glue the ends

This is the only tricky part. lay a stream of glue on the second half of the 2" tab you just glued. Roll the sheet around, and mate the edges. If you have a flat edge or ruler handy, this is a good time to squish the seams together on a flat surface.

Step 5 - cut out the eyepiece hole (no picture, sorry!)

I put the cylinder in the OTA, marked the eyepiece area with a marker, took the cylinder out, cut the section out with scissors, then went to the final step

Final Step - Glue to the OneSky

I place a dab of glue on the factor shield, then glue little foam tabs to the telescope to give it more hold. Just be carefull not to make the tabs too large, else you won't be able to put the end cap back on!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to clarify everything

• Jim7728, havasman, Abhat and 4 others like this

#230 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

After fighting the dew all night, managed to catch an hours worth of data on a new target - M33! The Triangulum Galaxy

Attached Thumbnails

• M33.jpg

Edited by jlandy, 27 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

• havasman, BFaucett, Juan Rayo and 1 other like this

#231 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Well, I finally bought a set of metric allen keys for the secondary tilt ( 2mm was the right one, TY.)  and have a chunk of flock board coming in the next day or so. I'll pull the primary out and check the spot location, straighten out the secondary, put something on the focuser threads and with no solid plans in mind, muck around with the flock board. With rain for the next week or so I hope to be ready when it ends for some lunar observing. It's such a sweet looking little telescope. I like it.

BTW, JLandy, you post the most consistently nice photos taken with that little telescope. Keep up the good work, they're most enjoyable. :bow:

Edited by howard929, 01 October 2014 - 09:16 AM.

• jlandy, BFaucett and Ficere like this

#232 BFaucett

BFaucett

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

BTW, JLandy, you post the most consistently nice photos taken with that little telescope. Keep up the good work, they're most enjoyable. :bow:

"Guess what?  I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell of jlandy's photos!"   :cool: :) :grin: :grin:

http://www.dailymoti...ore-cowbell_fun

Seriously, I've very much enjoyed viewing his photos in this thread and I look forward to more of them being posted. :waytogo:

Cheers!

-Bob F.  :)

Edited by BFaucett, 01 October 2014 - 07:22 PM.

• jlandy likes this

#233 howard929

howard929

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

As planned, I just removed the primary, 4 phillips head screws and one 3mm allen head screw through the dovetail and find that the mirror clips are too tight and the center spot off by more then 2.6mm. A quick check with a dial caliper shows that it's off center from the edge of the blank by at least 105 thou. Not really surprising finds IME from mass produced DOBS. I'm good with how to get this right and do love to tinker. But now I have work to do. :)

Edited by howard929, 02 October 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#234 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

interesting, what effect did that have on your viewing? I'm curious now if I should do the same check

#235 howard929

howard929

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have no clue. Since getting it almost 3 weeks ago it's been sitting in a spare bedroom. Finding the time to check it all out was my issue. Early mornings are best for me so I'll continue working on it tomorrow. At f/5 I'm sure the center spot where it is would have made high power views soft and a loss of snap to focus.  

#236 howard929

howard929

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

J,

Sorry if that seems short. I was typing then got a call on the phone and w/o being able to edit, just posted it. I'm not sure what anyone should do with their AWB and wish for no riots over this.

#237 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

no riots 

:applause:  :applause:

+1

#238 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

J,

Sorry if that seems short. I was typing then got a call on the phone and w/o being able to edit, just posted it. I'm not sure what anyone should do with their AWB and wish for no riots over this.

I have recently joined a local club, looking through my telescope and comparing to the big dobs I would say the views are pleasantly comparable. I really doubt that my OneSky has any assembly troubles, particularly when considering the quality of the pictures I've been able to take (not trying to toot my own horn!). I was more curious than anything

#239 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Regarding the centre spot, its designed to get you in the ball park, thats why its a good idea to do a final touch up on a out of focus star,this will show up any collimation errors.DA.

• howard929 and BFaucett like this

#240 BFaucett

BFaucett

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have recently joined a local club, looking through my telescope and comparing to the big dobs I would say the views are pleasantly comparable. I really doubt that my OneSky has any assembly troubles, particularly when considering the quality of the pictures I've been able to take (not trying to toot my own horn!). I was more curious than anything

jlandy,

And, I'd bet you have the most tricked out "two hundred dollar" telescope in the entire club!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just curious...  What have been some of the club members' comments about your scope?   Had any of them heard of the AWB OneSky before?

Thanks,

-Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 02 October 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#241 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

jlandy,

And, I'd bet you have the most tricked out "two hundred dollar" telescope in the entire club!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just curious...  What have been some of the club members' comments about your scope?   Had any of them heard of the AWB OneSky before?

Thanks,

-Bob F.

A few had heard from reading the Gizmag review of it, none had seen one in action before though

We had a star party recently, I am very much the new guy, but it was fun having a bunch of the public come back to my telescope to see the view after looking at the same object in a 16" dob. In general the nebula are more brilliant, but the OneSky holds it's own with the globs and open clusters

• BFaucett likes this

#242 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

Got my 2nd one in today. This one stays with me. I'll get out in the garage tomorrow and build it a stand and watch the moon tomorrow night to prepare for the eclipse party the physics/astronomy department at a local community college is throwing next week. Looking forward to answering the ubiquitous "How much?" question with $200 and watching them start planning in their heads.

• jlandy likes this

#243 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm totally pumped as well. With all issues out of the way but the flock board, there "should" be an hour of good seeing early tonight before clouds roll back in with the moon well positioned. I'm so ready for this I can taste it!

#244 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

BTW - I'd rather not use the red dot finder so I'm looking for a finder eyepiece for the AWB. The ES 68 24mm "seems" to be pretty much what I'm looking for, kinda wide AFOV and low magnification.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Edited by howard929, 03 October 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#245 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

I really like my ES6820, but I'm using it with an 8" SCT which is pretty easy on EP's. I enjoy the views with it through my 80ED also with it's over 3º FoV and 4mm exit pupil on large DSO's. Don't have any experience with DOBs though. You might check the total FoV with your system to see if it is larger than with your 2" 30mm before you buy. I'd think that would be a nice "finder" EP.

#246 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thank you Larry. That's good advice though I want this finder for one of these that only has a 1.25" focuser.

#247 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Sorry Howard, I admit to just looking at your equipment list. My bad.   :blush: Looks like a really nice scope though!

Edited by Fuzzyguy, 03 October 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#248 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

It really is a nice telescope. Just came back inside after a good 40 minutes of lunar views. My hopes for this telescope were high and it didn't fail to deliver.

Edited by howard929, 03 October 2014 - 08:16 PM.

• havasman likes this

#249 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

ES68 24mm works very well in the OneSky with 2.51 degree TFOV. It's  w  i  d  e ! And clean too.

I plan to take it to a public lunar eclipse viewing next week so I checked it a bit ago. The moon's sharp without false color and the field keeps it in view for quite a while. It should work well for the general public too 'cause it's so easy to use.

#250 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:20 AM

I like high power views when I can get them. Last week at the club dark site I watched the Copernicus crater for a good while as the light was striking it at a low angle giving the walls and particularly the larger of the 2 central mountains a lot of drama. At 263 and 328x with the XT10i the crater floor and the "smooth" area toward Montes Carpatus were thickly peppered with the tiny-est impact craters I've seen. The light gave the larger peak's spires a particularly spike-y look; like a porcupine or the tail of that dinosaur, I thought.

Tonight I took the OneSky out for a high power spin from my white zone driveway, concentrating on the same crater and the same area. It was a VERY transparent, slightly turbulent, cloudless, severely light polluted sky left behind after a line of showers & storms blew through N Texas this morning. EP's were all 82deg, starting with 6.7mm and working down to 3.5mm and then back up. Exit pupils 1.3mm down to 0.7mm.

The 6.7mm is my highest power ep that comfortably frames the entire moon in view and looked, as expected, crisp and sharp without flaws. The light still fell on the crater at a favorable angle so that the complex walls, twin peaks and the exterior rubble fields all were showing well. 97x, 1.3mm exit pupil, 51 arc' TFOV.

The 5T6 gave a noticeable boost in magnification and remained completely sharp. The mag boost better showed the fine rubble in the crater, the complexity of the crater walls and the odd shape of the large peak. 130x, 1.0mm exit pupil, 38 arc' TFOV This focal length starts to outperform my expectations for the OneSky.

The 4mm UWAN again noticeably boosted the size of the image, showing more detail in the crater floor and starting to show the tiny craters outside the walls toward the nearby mountains when the transparent air would settle for a second or two now and again. The image remained sharp but was more dependent on the air above. This view was the most impressive in how much fine detail of the crater and its surrounding area was visible with the little scope and completely violates my expectation for the OneSky's limits. 163x, 0.8mm exit pupil, 30 arc' TFOV

The 3.5T6, from here on this night and for me, finally ran beyond the point the OneSky could respond to. The sharpness softened. Some of the rubble outside the crater walls lost its texture, as did the interior walls and other features that had been improving with the progression of magnification to this point. 186x, 0.7mm exit pupil, 26 arc' TFOV

I took a look at Vega, Alberio and Epsilon Lyrae. The views gave no surprises. The 3.5mm continued to fail. In all the others: Vega showed no color or flare. Alberio was beautiful and looked best, on balance, in the 4mm. The double-double split cleanly and showed best in the 5T6.

The results of this little test of the high power capability of the OneSky satisfy me completely and exceed my expectations for the little scope. Another plus is that i am not at all tempted to go buy a 2.5T6 now.

Edited by havasman, 04 October 2014 - 01:27 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics