•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5343 replies to this topic

#2601 michaelgat

michaelgat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles area, CA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:38 AM

Well, the eclipse seemed to be a perfect time to bring out the OneSky. Also hooked up my camera as I have in the past.

More details and photos on my blog: https://adv.michaelg...ration-eclipse/

"Before":

5-2.jpg

During:

MG2F3927_1920.jpg

MG2F3952_1920.jpg

The end:

5-3.jpg

Edited by michaelgat, 01 February 2018 - 01:43 AM.

• ncdan3, Crow Haven, astroneil and 6 others like this

#2602 CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy

Vostok 1

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Well, the eclipse seemed to be a perfect time to bring out the OneSky. Also hooked up my camera as I have in the past.

"Before":

5-2.jpg

During:

MG2F3927_1920.jpg

MG2F3952_1920.jpg

The end:

5-3.jpg

At least for me your images are showing up broken, or the internet ate them going from the CN servers to my browser. 

#2603 Pbraun

Pbraun

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Indiana

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

"Before":

During:

The end:

At least for me your images are showing up broken, or the internet ate them going from the CN servers to my browser. 

They got lost in the trip to your house. They are coming through fine for me in two different places.

#2604 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Very nice moon images.  

Mike was asking recently about a upgrade/extras package for the OneSky. Many fine suggestions have been given so far.

Another thought, as so many of us with the OneSky enjoy capturing images of what we are seeing, how about a cellphone adapter for afocal image capture.  These appear to be relatively inexpensive,<$20 retail, and many if not most people have access to a cellphone camera.

Having an image to share with family and friends, when not directly observing from scope, is great outreach for the astronomy passion.  

• Augustus and MarioJumanji like this

#2605 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

Very nice moon images.  

Mike was asking recently about a upgrade/extras package for the OneSky. Many fine suggestions have been given so far.

Another thought, as so many of us with the OneSky enjoy capturing images of what we are seeing, how about a cellphone adapter for afocal image capture.  These appear to be relatively inexpensive,<$20 retail, and many if not most people have access to a cellphone camera.

Having an image to share with family and friends, when not directly observing from scope, is great outreach for the astronomy passion.  

That's a great idea! I'll add it to the list of items. We haven't had a chance to do something with all the great suggestions so far but we will.

Mike

• paulymo, Augustus and monophonic like this

#2606 MarioJumanji

MarioJumanji

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

Very nice moon images.

Another thought, as so many of us with the OneSky enjoy capturing images of what we are seeing, how about a cellphone adapter for afocal image capture. These appear to be relatively inexpensive,<$20 retail, and many if not most people have access to a cellphone camera.

I've been thinking about getting one myself. Do they work well with the helical focuser?

#2607 darinbrown

darinbrown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

so I was looking at adding a GLP to the OneSky.. I had in my notes that the dovetail groove mount was 11mm and that seems to match with the measurement I'm taking. don't have any experience with gun mounts, etc.. but it appears a dovetail to picatinny/weaver rail adapter is what I'd be after to mount my GLP.. seems like a worth $25 upgrade if I can get it to work. will post pics/parts if successful.

• paulymo likes this

#2608 darinbrown

darinbrown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

Very nice moon images.

Another thought, as so many of us with the OneSky enjoy capturing images of what we are seeing, how about a cellphone adapter for afocal image capture. These appear to be relatively inexpensive,<$20 retail, and many if not most people have access to a cellphone camera.

I've been thinking about getting one myself. Do they work well with the helical focuser?

was just thinking of doing this as well.. it would be great if I could 'share' the image with a bunch of interested kids/scouts all at once :)

#2609 michaelgat

michaelgat

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles area, CA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

<images>

They are not housed on CN. Try direct link to my blog at http://adv.michaelgat.com, or the link above to the specific entry. It's currently the top entry. (Jan 31, 2018)

Edited by michaelgat, 01 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#2610 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:44 AM

I just purchased my OneSky and I am delighted by the past postings of AP, that the ZWO cameras will do nicely with this scope. I have the ZWO ASI385MC right now (sold my ASI224MC), and I am ordering either the ASI1600MC or ASI294MC for wide-field EAA and imaging. I have been doing EAA with my Celestron Nexstar 8" SCT over the last few years, as well as planetary imaging, but I like the price and compactness of this telescope. Also, one Pro on this telescope is that you can slide the telescope tube down to achieve focus if you cant already achieve focus with the camera attached to the focuser at its greatest length.

I sent a request for samples to Formex for some 12"x24" Formex in .030 and .040 thicknesses. I plan on mounting my Onesky to my Ioptron ZEQ25 mount to use for unguided EAA and planetary imaging, but mostly for wide-field EAA/imaging. I will make my Light shield out of the Formex or Kydex from Scopestuff. I will also attach a Rigel Quik Finder or Telrad to the tube as my zero power finder. With goto, I usually do not need a powered finder because my accuracy is very good once aligned.

Keep the suggestions coming for modifications!

#2611 bcheck555

bcheck555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2

Just curious what would be involved and whether or not it would be worth the effort and cost. Thanks!

#2612 MarioJumanji

MarioJumanji

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2
Just curious what would be involved and whether or not it would be worth the effort and cost. Thanks!

It could probably be done, but it would require mutilating the molded plastic that the focuser screws into and would probably be pretty ugly when it was finished.

#2613 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

I LIKE the focuser.,I had never used one before and I like the feel of turning the "ep" to get to focus.,I wish all diagonals had a helical focuser on them.,I bought the William Optics correct image diagonal w/ helical focuser and it's really nice for fine focusing when you just have a R+P focuser.,
  • paulymo and jlcop like this

#2614 bcheck555

bcheck555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2

It could probably be done, but it would require mutilating the molded plastic that the focuser screws into and would probably be pretty ugly when it was finished.

I may have a way around that, I've ordered the focuser, I guess I will see how good my DIY skills are, lol.

I LIKE the focuser.,I had never used one before and I like the feel of turning the "ep" to get to focus.,I wish all diagonals had a helical focuser on them.,I bought the William Optics correct image diagonal w/ helical focuser and it's really nice for fine focusing when you just have a R+P focuser.,

I don't mind it when directly viewing. But it sucks when I hook up the camera to it. Very hard to focus.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#2615 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

You never know till you try right??.,The biggest concern will be getting it "straight".,probably not the right term.,but you know what I mean.,Good luck.,Pics or it didn't happen.,:).,
  • MarioJumanji likes this

#2616 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

You can always move the truss tube down a bit to get the focus better, meaning move the diagonal/focuser upper ring closer to the main mirror, loosening the clamp down knobs and sliding the tube backwards, giving you more in-focus. That is one great Pro of this telescope. The same thing applies to the Skywatcher brand of truss tube telescopes.

• paulymo likes this

#2617 bcheck555

bcheck555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2

This is what I have so far. Modeled the end cap in Fusion 360. Printed the parts in PETG.

Endcap and a spacer for the focuser assembly. The spacer also helps to hold the bolt for the secondary mirror.

https://photos.app.g...Qrsu7qNeFgPKBJ3

Checking the secondary alignment on the original endcap.

https://photos.app.g...jv50F4mvJPLgap2

And checking the secondary alignment on my endcap.

https://photos.app.g...GXHs7eTuPtPXUz1

The actual focuser should be here tomorrow, I'll figure out how to mount it after I get the dimensions and weight. Wish me luck...

Edited by bcheck555, 04 February 2018 - 04:15 PM.

• paulymo likes this

#2618 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

My OneSky is on its way, should arrive on Thursday, 2/8. I already have some good EP's, but I mostly do EAA and imaging with my scopes. I have the Neximage 5, ASI385MC, getting the 1600MC soon and the ASI290MM soon. I will make the mod for the light shroud and even extend it beyond the OTA a few inches for better darkening results. This part of the light shroud will be removable with velcro.

I have my Nexstar SE mount for quick goto sessions and a robust Ioptron ZEQ25 mount for EQ unguided and possibly guided imaging (Never tried guiding before). I have plenty of narrowband filters for Deep Sky and planetary lucky imaging like Methane, IR 642 and UVenus as well as UHC, OIII and Ha.

I plan on mounting a 80mm computer fan to the back of the OTA, adding a carry handle, 6x30mm RACI finder and a Rigel quik finder too.

• paulymo likes this

#2619 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Can someone tell me the inside circumference  or diameter of the Upper tube ring, please? I need to know how much Kydex I will need for my light shield. I am guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 12" long x 48" around.

Edited by Stargazer3236, 05 February 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#2620 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Kydex 24" x 48" is $18.95 on Amazon right now, in stock. Scopestuff sells it for $23. But, as Scopestuff is free shipping and Amazon is $5 shipping, it comes out the same, I guess. Just depends on when you want to get your Kydex sheet.

#2621 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Can someone tell me the inside circumference  or diameter of the Upper tube ring, please? I need to know how much Kydex I will need for my light shield. I am guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 12" long x 48" around.

It's about 5-3/4" diameter at the narrowest spot (the factory light shield).

#2622 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Excellent, that means that one sheet of 12" x 24" would be perfect for the light shield! I ordered two sheets, 12" x 24" from Amazon for $15.

• SteveG and paulymo like this

#2623 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

Black Gaffers Tape for covering the Rivets on the inside of the light shroud: B&H Photo and Video: Impact Gaffer Tape (Black, 1" x 10 yd) $1.95 + shipping = about $5.45.

#2624 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

What size are the secondary collimation screws. I read in a post in this whole thread that they are M4 x.07, 25mm long?

Nevermind, I found the post about the secondary collimation screws. About to order some today.

Edited by Stargazer3236, 05 February 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#2625 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

I'm wondering how many OneSky's got sold this holiday season.,??.,nosey guys wanna know.,smile.gif.,

Hey Nosey! smile.gif 413 sold during December (395 ordered by Christmas Eve). Up from 204 in November. Dec. 2017 was almost double Dec. 2016.

A big reason is you, Dave, and everyone else here. People are delighted to have the community you have created behind the scope. You know what it's like starting out in this hobby without any help. You're shortened the learning curve for a whole lot of people. And, frankly, many of the answers I give to people who write in to us I've gleaned from the pages of this thread.

So here's to clear skies in 2018!

Mike

So, since AWB gets $95 from every OneSky for donation, you made about 40K for AWB from the sales of your OneSky Telescope in December? What are the other sales totals for January 2018 and February 2018 so far?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics