•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5343 replies to this topic

#2626 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

Can someone measure the OTA across the tube and then across the struts and tell me the diameter of both measurements? I am trying to find a Pelican hard case to fit the OneSky.

#2627 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

So, since AWB gets $95 from every OneSky for donation, you made about 40K for AWB from the sales of your OneSky Telescope in December? What are the other sales totals for January 2018 and February 2018 so far?

Yes, we made quite a bit of profit on year-end sales. The OneSky has been a considerable and sustainable source of income for AWB.

I don't know the sales figures for this year but monthly sales will probably be 10% or 20% of December. That's the big year. August 2017 was also a big one.

Mike

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, paulymo and 1 other like this

#2628 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Can someone measure the OTA across the tube and then across the struts and tell me the diameter of both measurements? I am trying to find a Pelican hard case to fit the OneSky.

I'll measure in in just a bit, but the scope rides nicely in a duffle bag with bubble wrap around it, and almost zero added weight. I let might go through checked baggage to Hawaii and back - not a scratch!

Those pelican cases are very heavy! I would look for a soft case. 

#2629 darinbrown

darinbrown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

so I was looking at adding a GLP to the OneSky.. I had in my notes that the dovetail groove mount was 11mm and that seems to match with the measurement I'm taking. don't have any experience with gun mounts, etc.. but it appears a dovetail to picatinny/weaver rail adapter is what I'd be after to mount my GLP.. seems like a worth $25 upgrade if I can get it to work. will post pics/parts if successful.

as a followup.. the rail adapter (11mm Dovetail Extension to 20mm Weaver Picatinny Adapter Riser Rail Mount Base) arrived from eBay and it mounted wonderfully to my GLP and the dovetail on the OneSky. haven't taken it for a test run but looks like a worthy $25 upgrade for my needs.

• clearwaterdave and paulymo like this

#2630 MarioJumanji

MarioJumanji

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

so I was looking at adding a GLP to the OneSky.. I had in my notes that the dovetail groove mount was 11mm and that seems to match with the measurement I'm taking. don't have any experience with gun mounts, etc.. but it appears a dovetail to picatinny/weaver rail adapter is what I'd be after to mount my GLP.. seems like a worth $25 upgrade if I can get it to work. will post pics/parts if successful.

as a followup.. the rail adapter (11mm Dovetail Extension to 20mm Weaver Picatinny Adapter Riser Rail Mount Base) arrived from eBay and it mounted wonderfully to my GLP and the dovetail on the OneSky. haven't taken it for a test run but looks like a worthy $25 upgrade for my needs.

Need pics
  • clearwaterdave likes this

#2631 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

7" diameter including the rail.

9" diameter including the focuser

16" length, including the mirror lock screws.

#2632 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Thanks! I found a Nikon soft bag at Adorama for $75. It has the right dimensions.

• SteveG likes this

#2633 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Well, along with my Onesky, I have decided on buying the ZWO ASI1600MC camera, not cooled version. I checked out imaging FOV's with the online tool: www.astronomy.tools

This will give me great FOV and when reduced to a F/2.5 instrument, I can fit a lot of stuff on that chip!

#2634 darinbrown

darinbrown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Need pics

IMG 1501
IMG 1502

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, paulymo and 2 others like this

#2635 paulymo

paulymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Darin, been thinking of doing the same.  Please report back how those rifle sight GLPs do in cold weather if possible.  I know the cheaper astro ones don't do well. 

Stargazer, I'm planning on doing some EAA with mine too.  I hope you share your experiences in this thread.

#2636 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

Paulymo.,I have 6 of those rifle lasers and only one doesn't like the cold.,I had another one that didn't and when I went to send it back they refunded me without sending a return shipping label and never asked for the laser back..,:).,
  • paulymo likes this

#2637 paulymo

paulymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Dave that is good to know. The price is certainly right on those...

#2638 gt40mkii

gt40mkii

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

7" diameter including the rail.

9" diameter including the focuser

16" length, including the mirror lock screws.

Just in case someone else is considering a Pelican case for their Onesky, you're probably looking at a Pelican 1610 Large case, which is about $225 -- more than the scope itself.  As much as I like Pelican (I use them a lot at work,) I'd rather look for a cheaper solution such as Stargazer3236's $75 soft case.

Now there is a cheaper alternative to Pelican sold through Harbor Freight.  I own a couple of these and they seem to be just as well-made as Pelican, though maybe not quite so pretty.  One I use to keep my eyepieces in, the other holds all my GoPro gear for my trips to the racetrack.  Both cost $20-$30 each.  Much cheaper than Pelican, though the case sizes are much more limited (and none are big enough for the Onesky.)

https://www.harborfr...6-in-63927.html

__ Robert

Edited by gt40mkii, 08 February 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#2639 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

Thanks! I found a Nikon soft bag at Adorama for $75. It has the right dimensions.

Can you send us the link?

#2640 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

Here it is:

https://www.adorama.com/nklpb.html

Very roomy, just enough fit for the OneSky. Many pockets both inside and outside for accessories.

Edited by Stargazer3236, 08 February 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#2641 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Well, my Onesky arrived this morning in PREFECT condition!

The collimation required a minor tweak and it was perfect.

I got some sample Formex sheets from https://www.itwforme...tact-us/samples

I also ordered a simple inexpensive rivet gun kit. I will make the shroud once the Rivet gun arrives in today's mail.

I will be ordering a RACI 6x30 finder from Orion soon. I have decided on the ASI1600MC camera for $649. Online tests at www.astronomy.tools has shown a very wide field for imaging. I am also in the process of reconstructing my 82mm f/3.83 reflector with parabolic mirror for imaging too.

I think I have everything for now, I have many other accessories to use as well as a lot of narrowband filters. I will use my Baader Q-Turret when using the OneSky.

I just need to know how to remove the upper tube ring so I can slide the light shield down into the OTA.

#2642 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

This is a fantastic little scope. I have the Bushnell version sold a few years ago named Ares 5 ($140). I'm amazed at the quality of view this little 5" scope puts up. Here is a list of my mod's & accessories used with this scope:

Use heavy grease on the focuser threads. I used some wheel bearing grease, and it really improves the feel and removes some of the focuser sloppiness.

Get a 13mm Nagler Type 6. The eyepiece was made for this scope. I can use it all night with just this eyepiece!

I added a Synta dovetail shoe to allow me to use my various finders. I removed the RDF base which is non-standard. I don't like bending down to look through an RDF, so I usually just use my laser - quick and simple.

I agree the dob mount is limiting, and I've placed mine on a Vixen Porta II mount, which utilizes the dovetail mounting rail.

Build a light shield for the open truss. The factory shield is far too small. I purchased some Krydex black plastic from Scopestuff, and rolled it into a tube shape to fit inside the tube. I used rivets and a cheap rivet gun to close the tube, and 2 more to attach the rolled tube to the black plastic light shield on the scope. This took careful measuring, and to get the plastic inside the tube requires removal of the upper tube ring. I used black gaffers tape to cover the seams (inside and outside), and a hole saw to cut the round focuser hole. It came out pretty slick, and the scope is far more functional now.

I'll post some pic's starting with this:

How did you remove the top ring for the light shield?

#2643 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

This is a fantastic little scope. I have the Bushnell version sold a few years ago named Ares 5 ($140). I'm amazed at the quality of view this little 5" scope puts up. Here is a list of my mod's & accessories used with this scope:

Use heavy grease on the focuser threads. I used some wheel bearing grease, and it really improves the feel and removes some of the focuser sloppiness.

Get a 13mm Nagler Type 6. The eyepiece was made for this scope. I can use it all night with just this eyepiece!

I added a Synta dovetail shoe to allow me to use my various finders. I removed the RDF base which is non-standard. I don't like bending down to look through an RDF, so I usually just use my laser - quick and simple.

I agree the dob mount is limiting, and I've placed mine on a Vixen Porta II mount, which utilizes the dovetail mounting rail.

Build a light shield for the open truss. The factory shield is far too small. I purchased some Krydex black plastic from Scopestuff, and rolled it into a tube shape to fit inside the tube. I used rivets and a cheap rivet gun to close the tube, and 2 more to attach the rolled tube to the black plastic light shield on the scope. This took careful measuring, and to get the plastic inside the tube requires removal of the upper tube ring. I used black gaffers tape to cover the seams (inside and outside), and a hole saw to cut the round focuser hole. It came out pretty slick, and the scope is far more functional now.

I'll post some pic's starting with this:

How did you remove the top ring for the light shield?

(3) equally spaced screws on the top tube ring. Don't try to disassemble the truss, just remove the whole thing.

#2644 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

Ahh, you also need to remove the two hex nuts from the dovetail as well, along with the 3 screws attaching the upper tube ring to the OTA.

#2645 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

As mentioned waaaay back on the first page about torque caused because of the heavy camera (in this case the DSLR), why not try a lighter camera like CMOS cameras, like ZWO for example. They are very light (non-cooled) and will not impart any torque/flexure on the helical focuser.

I like the fact that I can reduce the length of the upper tube using the struts to bring the focuser closer to the main mirror and imparting more outward focus for my cameras. This will be my main telescope for wide field deep sky and possibly planetary imaging this year.

I have recently bought a 5X barlow and a 3X barlow to use along with my Parks 2X barlow. The 3X and the 5X utilize 3 element apo lenses. My camera outfit consists of my current ASI385MC camera, my Neximage 5 camera, my upcoming ASI1600MC camera purchase with my tax refund and a new ASI290MM camera for narrowband IR, UV and CH4 planetary imaging. I am also looking at the IDAS LPS-V4 filter for simultaneous Ha, Hb and OIII imaging from one filter.

With my new Nikon camera case, the OneSky fits snuggly in the main compartment and the side and interior pockets hold my EP's.

• paulymo likes this

#2646 matthannan

matthannan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Greenville, RI, USA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

I used black plastic poster sheets from Blick art supply for a light shield. $2.39. The 22" width is enough to make 2, or you can double it up for additional rigidity.

https://www.dickblic...ic-posterboard/

FlankerOneTwo, I just picked up a sheet of this stuff. How did you attach the two edges to form the tube? Hot glue? Gaffer's tape? Rivets?

Inquiring minds want to know!

#2647 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Hello Matthattan.,I have gotten a chuckle when I have gotten likes from you on posts back in this thread.,thinking you are working your way through the whole thread.,Kudo's to you.,:).,I used 2" masking tape for mine.,but I think black duct tape would look better.,good luck.,

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000492.JPG
  • IM000516.JPG

#2648 matthannan

matthannan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Greenville, RI, USA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, Dave. I am up to Dec 2017, so I am almost current!

Did you make your shield out of this plastic posterboard stuff, or jlandy's foam?

My wife suggested staples and sealing with hot glue or masking tape, but I am worried about the staples ripping the plastic posterboard.

#2649 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

I used a thin craft foam from WalMart,.about 9x11".,88cents a sheet.,The shroud fits inside and everything collapses without issues.,I attached it with 2-sided tape where I could around the upper lip,.,
  • matthannan likes this

#2650 Gilraen

Gilraen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Del Rio, TX

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Can this be mounted on a tabletop power/object tracker base?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics