•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5348 replies to this topic

#2676 MarioJumanji

MarioJumanji

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

Roger that. I understand fully. It is just that if you Google for a picture of the Orion Nebula, what you see in the search results is not exactly what you will see in your scope. I was saying this to point out that it can be difficult for a newbie to find their way around the sky based just on Internet images.

I often search for objects with my Pocket Sky Atlas without much idea what they should look like. Sometimes I'll Google the objects later to get a better idea what I was seeing, or if I was unable to spot it to try and get an idea what I should be looking for. Looking for planetary nebulae with the OneSky can be a lot of fun sometimes.
  • matthannan likes this

#2677 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Looking into this a bit more, I am pretty sure I stumbled my way, at 130x magnification, into the Orion Nebula. I made a mental note of the four bright stars, which I think would be the Trapezium. What is killing me is that all of the images I am seeing online are far better than what the OS provided. As awesome as the OS is, it is no Hubble!

There it is! Page 50 of Turn Left. That is exactly it.

Awesome!!!

"Awesome" is the word. In its way, a view through the OneSky is even better than an image from the Hubble Space Telescope. In a photo from the Space Telescope the Trapezium is just four dots on a piece of paper or a computer screen. When we look through our own telescopes we're in direct and personal contact with an awesome reality--four beautiful stars wrapped in a massive cloud of glowing gas, unfathomably distant and fifteen hundred years in the past. The view in the eyepiece may be dim, but what we see in our mind's eye is brilliant.

Welcome to amateur astronomy!

Edited by Lazaroff, 14 February 2018 - 01:25 PM.

• SeaBee1, Augustus and matthannan like this

#2678 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

"Awesome" is the word. In its way, a view through the OneSky is even better than an image from the Hubble Space Telescope. In a photo from the Space Telescope the Trapezium is just four dots on a piece of paper or a computer screen. When we look through our own telescopes we're in direct and personal contact with an awesome reality--four beautiful stars wrapped in a massive cloud of glowing gas, unfathomably distant and fifteen hundred years in the past. The view in the eyepiece may be dim, but what we see in our mind's eye is brilliant.

Welcome to amateur astronomy.

Exactly! I've looked through telescopes up to 5-meters and perhaps the most exciting observation I ever made was seeing the Andromeda Galaxy for the first time naked eye more than 40 years ago. I was seeing it myself, right up there in the sky, gazing across our galaxy and inconceivable distances to see another galaxy. I've since seen globular clusters and even individual stars in M31 with big scopes since then but that personal interaction with it for the first time expanded my person universe immeasurably.

Mike

• SeaBee1, Augustus, giantelf and 3 others like this

#2679 bcheck555

bcheck555

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2

Just curious what would be involved and whether or not it would be worth the effort and cost. Thanks!

This is what I have so far. Modeled the end cap in Fusion 360. Printed the parts in PETG.

Endcap and a spacer for the focuser assembly. The spacer also helps to hold the bolt for the secondary mirror.

https://photos.app.g...Qrsu7qNeFgPKBJ3

Checking the secondary alignment on the original endcap.

https://photos.app.g...jv50F4mvJPLgap2

And checking the secondary alignment on my endcap.

https://photos.app.g...GXHs7eTuPtPXUz1

The actual focuser should be here tomorrow, I'll figure out how to mount it after I get the dimensions and weight. Wish me luck...

End result. https://www.thingive...m/thing:2795847

• lbim likes this

#2680 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Here are a few pics of my recently upgraded One Sky telescope. I added a Thermaltake fan with speed adjustment to the rear of the scope in back of the mirror. I added a Rigel Quik finder mount for my Rigel Quik finder, a Bahtinov mask for fine focusing and bought an inexpensive Cheshire collimation EP with the cross hairs. I am awaiting my Orion 6x30 RACI finder to be delivered. Other than that, awaiting my tax refund to buy my new ASI294MC camera too.

Attached Thumbnails

• Onesky4.jpg
  • Onesky5.jpg
  • Onesky3.jpg
  • Onesky1.jpg

• paulymo, Soarrunwalk and cookjaiii like this

#2681 matthannan

matthannan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Greenville, RI, USA

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

To mathannan and anyone else who's still having trouble with a red-dot finder that points too high:

The staple trick, which I described earlier on this page (post #2663), is a five-minute fix that works perfectly. Some people use two staples. See posts #1171-1172, page 87 for pics.

If you secure the staple(s) with black tape the mod will be nearly invisible. I remove the finder when I pack up the scope, and the staple doesn't interfere at all with sliding it back into place.

(I think the problem is caused by a minor defect in manufacture of the telescope. The mounting shoe on the scope is tilted slightly upward relative to the scope's optical axis. Lay a ruler across it lengthwise to see the angle it makes with the scope's tube.)

Amazing trick! I am dialed in at a target about a 1/4 mile away. Incredible.

MSimmons, if you are still looking for suggestions for an add-on packet, a box of standard staples probably wouldn't eat into the proceeds too much! ;-)

Clouds snowed themselves out last night. Looking at clear clear skies and temps above freezing!

You know where I will be tonight.

• Lazaroff likes this

#2682 matthannan

matthannan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Greenville, RI, USA

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Dave, what is going on with the light shield here?

post-134792-0-27160700-1518931111.jpg

#2683 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

Just got in from nearly 6 hours of EAA and imaging. The One Sky works very nicely at F/5 as it does at F/2.5. I tried out my new ASI385 camera last night and it works very nicely. I used the 0.5 FR to get the scope down to F/2.5. I got some nice shots of M65/66 and NGC 3628, M108 and M97, M81/82, M13, NGC 3242 Ghost of Jupiter, NGC 4361, the Antenna Galaxies (NGC 4038/4039), M104 and a few others. I will post my pics later on today. This scope is the balls!

• paulymo, Mark326 and matthannan like this

#2684 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

As promised, here are my images I took last night with my One Sky newtonian, placed on a Nexstar SE mount, using an ASI385MC camera and SharpCap 3.1. Post processing done with CS2 and Paint.net.

Gain was set at 300, exposures were mostly 8 secs, and subs from 25 sec to 7 min, depending on the brightness of the object. Weather was calm, light fog, intermittent clouds, light wind.

I should add that the close up shots were at bin 1  and F/5 and the wide field shots were at bin 2 and at F/2.5

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• antenna gal 2 bin 28x8s.jpg
  • m13 2bin 5sec.jpg
  • m81 2bin 176x2s.jpg
  • m10897 1bin f2.5 66x4s.jpg
  • m82 1bin 46x4s.jpg
  • m104 2bin 42x2s.jpg
  • m8182 2 bin f2.5 77x2s.jpg
  • n3242 no bin 23x2s.jpg
  • n4361 45x8s 1bin.jpg
  • m6566 2bin 111s 2sec sub.jpg

• ncdan3, paulymo, SeaBee1 and 5 others like this

#2685 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the focuser to a rack and pinion type, such as https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMXF2

Just curious what would be involved and whether or not it would be worth the effort and cost. Thanks!

This is what I have so far. Modeled the end cap in Fusion 360. Printed the parts in PETG.

Endcap and a spacer for the focuser assembly. The spacer also helps to hold the bolt for the secondary mirror.

https://photos.app.g...Qrsu7qNeFgPKBJ3

Checking the secondary alignment on the original endcap.

https://photos.app.g...jv50F4mvJPLgap2

And checking the secondary alignment on my endcap.

https://photos.app.g...GXHs7eTuPtPXUz1

The actual focuser should be here tomorrow, I'll figure out how to mount it after I get the dimensions and weight. Wish me luck...

End result. https://www.thingive...m/thing:2795847

I found the focusing to be pretty easy when the camera was mounted. Using the stock helical focuser, all I did was to shorten the UTA down the rails a wee bit while watching my laptop screen to show where the best focus was. Then I slapped on the Bahtinov mask and re-focused using the helical focuser. Most of the time, I got the focus nearly dead nuts on the first attempt, after sliding the truss rods down.

When I put on the 0.5 FR, I had to shorten the UTA even more, until the UTA was nearly at the half closed position. Still I got the scope to F/2.5 with just a tad of field curvature at Bin 2 and F/2.5. I just cropped my images to not show the curvature of the field.

I think that the One Sky should be modified commercially, with a modest price increase to cover the cost of the new R&P focuser, instead of the stock helical. I think $250, even $300 would be a good price. I would re-buy the One Sky if it had an R&P cheapo focuser attached like the Orion...

• paulymo likes this

#2686 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

I think that the two truss rod system of the One Sky is a great idea. Much like the larger telescopes from Skywatcher, that have the open truss with the sliding truss rods. Attaching a camera to either scope only means that you may have to adjust the UTA/Mirror separation in order to get good focus. I seen no reason why a good 3", 4", 6" or even a small 8" could be made in that same way, for EAA and imaging, knowing all you had to do was slide the truss rods down a bit to get to focus. I think that the One Sky in it's current configuration will be my Primary scope and my Nexstar 8SE will just be for planetary imaging.

• paulymo likes this

#2687 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

This might be the best telescope since the Coulter CT-100, 4" coffee can telescope back in 1980! someone is selling one of those golden oldies on Cloudy Nights for $400 and it originally sold for $99. He is asking for bidders on Ebay, currently at about $112.50, ends Sunday. But this will be the best portable telescope since the Coulter CT-100!

#2688 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Just got in from nearly 6 hours of EAA and imaging. The One Sky works very nicely at F/5 as it does at F/2.5. I tried out my new ASI385 camera last night and it works very nicely. I used the 0.5 FR to get the scope down to F/2.5. I got some nice shots of M65/66 and NGC 3628, M108 and M97, M81/82, M13, NGC 3242 Ghost of Jupiter, NGC 4361, the Antenna Galaxies (NGC 4038/4039), M104 and a few others. I will post my pics later on today. This scope is the balls!

Which (brand) Reducer are you using on the Onesky?  Had researched FR before but was discouraged by reports of needing specialty FR matched to focal length of reflector to avoid extreme coma.

• paulymo likes this

#2689 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

I used a generic brand 0.5 FR. It might have been from ZWO, or a generic I picked up off of Ebay. It did notice coma in the very outskirts of the image, but not enough to declare that the image was no good. I just cropped the image after I made a screen capture.

• paulymo and Mark326 like this

#2690 paulymo

paulymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

Really, really excited to see what you were able to do with the OneSky for EAA! Thanks for the info on the FR, I was going to ask that too. I thought operating at 2.5 might be too aggressive but the pics say otherwise.  I realize you have the bigger SCT for the job but I'd be curious to see what you could get the OneSky to do on lunar/planets.

Thanks for the inspiration...now to clear the budget for a camera!

Edited by paulymo, 22 February 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#2691 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

I tried to image Jupiter the other night, but I did not have the right drivers installed for my ASI385MC camera. I tried to image Jupiter using SharpCap Pro 3.1, but the image was choppy, through light, thin clouds, most of the time. By the time I got home, I forgot I could have used my Neximage 5 camera to image the planets (Mars too) using the Celestron native imaging program iCap. But I now have the newest ASCOM and ZWO drivers installed plus I have the latest Firecapture software installed as well. Using SharpCap Pro 3.1 and using screen capture was great for getting the images of the deep sky objects.

Edited by Stargazer3236, 22 February 2018 - 08:17 PM.

#2692 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

Really, really excited to see what you were able to do with the OneSky for EAA! Thanks for the info on the FR, I was going to ask that too. I thought operating at 2.5 might be too aggressive but the pics say otherwise.  I realize you have the bigger SCT for the job but I'd be curious to see what you could get the OneSky to do on lunar/planets.

Here is a Lunar captured Jan 2018 1st Quarter moon, using ASI224MC on OneSky.  Mosaic of multiple images stitched together due to small sensor on the ASI224 planetary cam.  Thanks for Info on FR Stargazer, will probably grab one and give Andromeda another shot.

Moon Panorama

Edited by Mark326, 22 February 2018 - 10:36 PM.

• Stargazer3236, paulymo and kingbeowulf like this

#2693 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

If you add the 0.5 Focal Reducer, you can fit the entire moon in one image, instead of mosaic.

• paulymo likes this

#2694 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

Jupiter in my One Sky, using Sharpcap 3.1 was pretty big on the screen. Not using the barlow, nor a reducer, it was a pretty good size. Now had I used my Neximage 5, it probably have put up a nice image.

• paulymo likes this

#2695 kingbeowulf

kingbeowulf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Nice to see the the OneSky can produce some nice images.  I just picked up a ZWO ASI 224MC on impulse (!).  I have a Slackware64 laptop to use for image capture.  For those of us in the Linux realm, it turns out that the KDE desktop planetarium program, KStars, can capture from the ASI once I install the INDI libraries.  Who knew?  Other linux flavors should have this software in their repositories.  Besides, libindi, some other Linux software I will try are:

Of course, the only time it's not cloady here is when I cam out of town on business!! 

Keep Looking up!

Edited by kingbeowulf, 25 February 2018 - 04:40 PM.

• paulymo, Mark326 and Sterngucker like this

#2696 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

Here is the new cradle tube rings from Agena Astro and new William Optics Blue Dovetail on my One Sky telescope along with the Orion 6x30 RACI finder scope.

It is in a configuration to mount on either my Nexstar SE mount or my ZEQ25 mount. With the dove tail on the left, it will give me a right side viewing/imaging position on the Nexstar. Also if I mount it on the iOptron ZEQ25 mount, the focuser will be in the "up" position. It's a win win situation!

Attached Thumbnails

• rings and dovetail.jpg

• davidparks and Mark326 like this

#2697 CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy

Vostok 1

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Nice to see the the OneSky can produce some nice images.  I just picked up a ZWO ASI 224MC on impulse (!).  I have a Slackware64 laptop to use for image capture.  For those of us in the Linux realm, it turns out that the KDE desktop planetarium program, KStars, can capture from the ASI once I install the INDI libraries.  Who knew?  Other linux flavors should have this software in their repositories.  Besides, libindi, some other Linux software I will try are:

Of course, the only time it's not cloady here is when I cam out of town on business!! 

Keep Looking up!

Beowulf,

THANK YOU for the list of linux programs that you use or plan to use for image capturing.  I'm a fairly hard-core open source advocate and I hate that I've had to boot to Windows to capture but I'd never found anything that worked well for astrophotography in Linux. 

• Sterngucker likes this

#2698 robcurtis2

robcurtis2

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Hello All,

Name is Rob.  Have always wanted to jump in to the world of studying the evening sky.  So after researching a bit and reading reviews, I went ahead with the AWB OS130 as my first Telescope.  With wanting to set up in the yard or take camping with us in the Montana area, I think this might last me a while. I might venture in to taking pictures with also. 

With me as a newbie, I think my path will start with not upgrading anything yet and using only what comes with the Onesky.  I will probably focus on the Moon first and slowly go to other areas as I get comfortable.  Can anyone recommend either a really good book, website, skymaps, or whatever  I need to get familiar with starting into this hobby/study.  Let me know when you can.

Cheers,

RC

Edited by robcurtis2, 27 February 2018 - 10:16 AM.

• paulymo, Mark326 and matthannan like this

#2699 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

Rob,

Congratulations on your choice of the OneSky! I think your choice to put off upgrades is a good one. When the time comes, making an inexpensive shroud to keep out stray light may be a good place to start. You'll want a red flashlight or headlamp, too, to protect your night vision.

These two books are often recommended. I can vouch for the first one:

NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe, by Terence Dickinson

Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope--and How to Find Them, by Guy Consolmagno and Dan M. Davis

The Sky and Telescope website (www.skyandtelescope.com) is a good one. You might eventually want to subscribe to the magazine.

I'm sure others on this forum will have other recommendations.

Best of luck with your new hobby under those dark Montana skies!

• paulymo likes this

#2700 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Here my new pics, taken with an ASI290mm camera and my One Sky last night around 2 am.

Attached Thumbnails

• m51 2bin 111x4s.jpg
  • m3 83 sec 2bin.jpg
  • m57 1bin 29x4s.jpg
  • m104 2bin 16x6s.jpg

• paulymo and SeaBee1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics