•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
3683 replies to this topic

#3626 jlcop

jlcop

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:09 PM

Well I got the RDF installed and sighted in on a church steeple down the street this afternoon. It took a little longer then collimation but I did not have any of the difficulties that others had reported earlier in this thread. The free week of clouds from Seattle must have been shipped on another truck because they just got delivered (about an hour before sunset). So I won't be sending it back!  Won't be using it tonight either....

John

Edited by jlcop, 23 April 2019 - 10:09 PM.

• SteveG, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#3627 miamivice

miamivice

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Miami, FL. USA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

Hello everyone, thank you all for all this information.  Ordered my scope last week along with a BST 4mm eye piece. I need a light shroud, I saw there are some kydex mold-able options along with a foam option.. Has anyone done something with fabric? I figure a nice sleeve with elastic bands on the ends should work well? Thoughts?

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3628 se6ast

se6ast

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Hello everyone, thank you all for all this information.  Ordered my scope last week along with a BST 4mm eye piece. I need a light shroud, I saw there are some kydex mold-able options along with a foam option.. Has anyone done something with fabric? I figure a nice sleeve with elastic bands on the ends should work well? Thoughts?

Welcome to CN!

I have not seen posts of shroud built with fabric, but see https://www.cloudyni...ders/?p=9300942 for links to several options and HowTos to build shroud

• miamivice likes this

#3629 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Messenger

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

I made a shroud with fabric once and used it for a few weeks.  I used strips of adhesive-backed Velcro to attach it to the scope and to close the edges of the fabric.  It worked very well except it was complicated to put on and take off.  Because of this I tended to leave the trusses extended instead of collapsing the tube at the end of a session.  I went back to the foam sheet shroud design because I prefer to close up the tube between sessions and the fabric shroud was too fussy.  

The best feature of the fabric shroud was the superior light blocking.  With the foam sheet or Kydex shroud, there is a gap under the focuser that lets light in.  The fabric shroud covered this gap. 

• miamivice likes this

#3630 ctnich

ctnich

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

I made a shroud with the Kydex to go around the focuser to close up that gap as much as possible. I attached the Kydex with Velcro and used gaffers tape to hold the ends together. Best thing is I can still close it down when I want to without taking anything apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• AWBFocusShroud01.jpg
  • AWBFocusShroud02.jpg
  • AWBFocusShroud03.jpg

• lbim, cookjaiii and jlcop like this

#3631 jlcop

jlcop

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

First Light last night at a Boise Astronomical Society Star Party. It kept it's collimation on the drive there. I knocked the finder off setting it up but it reattached and was easy to re-sight. A number of members asked about it, having heard of the One Sky but not having seen one. I used a crutch type tripod mostly copied from ClearwaterDave's. Still have some work to do on it. The focuser does feel rough so I'll try the Teflon tape method first since I have a lot of it leftover. In general I have no complaints about the telescope, it operated flawlessly given I am a complete beginner. After some frustration  with some help I found M-13 and tried a pencil sketch of it.

John 

Edited by jlcop, 29 April 2019 - 11:41 AM.

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett and Richie2shoes like this

#3632 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:54 AM

Great that you found M13. It's a beauty!

I gave up on Teflon tape--too tricky to work with and it didn't last. I found that a little chapstick on the threads was all I needed to smooth out the roughness.

Some OneSkyers have been concerned about wobble in the focuser, and are using heavy grease or hose clamps to fix it. You'll need to decide for yourself whether or not you think this is a problem worth worrying about. I don't.

Edited by Lazaroff, 29 April 2019 - 11:55 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#3633 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

John.,we would love to see some pics.,Glad to hear you had a good first light.,

Teflon tape gets chewed up pretty quick.,if your focuser feels tooo loose I suggest a hose clamp.,Chapstick works but I don't know how it does in hot or cold conditions.,a hose clamp.,you adjust it to your liking and forget about it.,Cheers

#3634 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

I can vouch for chapstick in both hot and cold weather.

Roughness and wobbliness (or looseness) in the focuser are two different things. Chapstick is for the roughness only. A hose clamp is for the wobbliness--if you feel you need it.

• BFaucett likes this

#3635 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

I see one for sale in Vt..this is the first time I've seen one on CL.,asking 150.,not sure about acc's.,If it was closer I would get it.,made me sad to think it being there.,unwanted.,frown.gif .,

• rnc39560, BFaucett and cookjaiii like this

#3636 Clown

Clown

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sylvania OH

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

Well I am back after sulking under the cloudy skies of NW Ohio.  I bought the scope and the weather came with it.  Sorry for messing up everyone's viewing but the curse should be leaving soon, I hope.

Question:  My house has several street lights in the back and side yards as well as the street, I have a school driveway behind me.  I have built the shroud and it is really nice but I still have a lot of interference.  I read somewhere (think it was "Turn Left at Orion") that a yellow filter would be good to filter that out.  Can any one offer what I need to buy for my OneSky?

#3637 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

You need to buy gas for your car.,and get you and the OS to some dark skies.,No filter will help with LP.,they only make it look prettier.,

• BFaucett likes this

#3638 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

Clearwater's advice is good, as usual. You don't need to buy anything.

When you're observing at home the shroud is keeping the bright light out of the scope, but not out of your eye. Some people drape a dark cloth over their heads and the eyepiece to avoid the glare in situations like yours. 

• BFaucett likes this

#3639 Clown

Clown

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

Thanks to both for the wisdom.  According to the maps I would need to drive for about 3 hours right now, hoping a clearing after mid week.

]Dave

#3640 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Well I am back after sulking under the cloudy skies of NW Ohio.  I bought the scope and the weather came with it.  Sorry for messing up everyone's viewing but the curse should be leaving soon, I hope.

Question:  My house has several street lights in the back and side yards as well as the street, I have a school driveway behind me.  I have built the shroud and it is really nice but I still have a lot of interference.  I read somewhere (think it was "Turn Left at Orion") that a yellow filter would be good to filter that out.  Can any one offer what I need to buy for my OneSky?

You're describing a lot of nearby street lights and "interference". By that, are you seeing weird reflections, or "white out" in the eyepiece? Or are you just stating that objects you are looking for aren't visible through the sky-glow?

If it's the latter, then yes, your only option is to drive. You could possibly find something closer that has a darker perimeter. If it's the former, then you have more solutions, but a yellow filter isn't one of them.

I've had trouble with mine and street lights, even when I used it in Hawaii under a very dark sky. I found one culprit was light leaking into the gap between my shroud and the bottom of the focuser. I used some black electrical tape to close this gap. Another problem could be light coming through the open tube at the top. It doesn't extend much past the focuser, so adding a second shield at the open end of the tube could help here as well. You could experiment with a large piece of black craft paper.

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett and Clown like this

#3641 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

At one point I realized the moon was reflecting off the french doors behind me.,had me goin for a few days.,lol.,

• BFaucett and Clown like this

#3642 Clown

Clown

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

To tell the truth Steve I have not been able to use my scope but once and that was before I added the shroud.  I am just responding to all of the reading I have been doing, the yellow filter being a side note in the book "Turn left at Orion" about filters.  I ask before I act as I have made some bad decisions following no OS folks.  Now I come here, even though I still have had nothing but clouds (NW Ohio is setting records for days of rain and or clouds).  There was one night that was clear and I was at a hockey game way up north in Michigan with my grandson.

I have a dark towel I am going to set with the scope for when/(if?) I ever get to use it.  I also know of a couple of parks that the local club has a star party at that is near by I will drive to as well.  Of course I will have to chat with the local police about why I am in the parking lot I am sure. lol  This too will pass and I will be able to play with my new toy.  I just wish my old brain absorbed information like it did 50 years ago!  So much to learn.

Dave

• SteveG and clearwaterdave like this

#3643 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

A hockey game with your grandson.,no stars or scope will ever top that.,waytogo.gif .,

• Lazaroff likes this

#3644 Clown

Clown

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

Totally agree Dave.

#3645 CappyLovesMittens

CappyLovesMittens

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been treated to some nice clear (if light polluted) skies lately. Ursa Major is more or less overhead now, so I've had a great time exploring that. However, the RDF is not useful at that angle and thus I spend more time searching for things than I'd like. I'd like to get a bit more accurate with finding...I'm decent at star-hopping now but with my light pollution it's not always a viable option. I remember reading some people adding a magnetic digital angle gauge to their accessories and that seems like it might be just the ticket. Does anyone here have experience with that and, if so, are there any brand/technique recommendations?

Thanks, and clear skies!

-Cappy

• rnc39560 likes this

#3646 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been treated to some nice clear (if light polluted) skies lately. Ursa Major is more or less overhead now, so I've had a great time exploring that. However, the RDF is not useful at that angle and thus I spend more time searching for things than I'd like. I'd like to get a bit more accurate with finding...I'm decent at star-hopping now but with my light pollution it's not always a viable option. I remember reading some people adding a magnetic digital angle gauge to their accessories and that seems like it might be just the ticket. Does anyone here have experience with that and, if so, are there any brand/technique recommendations?

Thanks, and clear skies!

-Cappy

Have you considered using a green laser finder? That's what I use, very easy and intuitive. You do have to know where you are pointing to in the sky.

#3647 CappyLovesMittens

CappyLovesMittens

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

Have you considered using a green laser finder? That's what I use, very easy and intuitive. You do have to know where you are pointing to in the sky.

I unfortunately live quite near a major airport, so that's not really an option for my regular backyard viewing. When I get out to darker sites, sure, but I'm looking for a good option when I just go out back for an hour so that I don't need to spend a healthy percentage of it hunting rather than viewing.

• Greyhaven likes this

#3648 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

SteveG, how well does the green laser pointer-OneSky combination work for you in finding deep space objects under light-polluted skies? I assume it's fine for objects like M13 or M57 that are very short star hops from naked-eye stars, even in moderately brightened skies. But what about something like M3, M104, or the M81/M82 pair, which are farther removed from naked-eye starting points?

#3649 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

A laser is a pointing devise.,no more.,no less.,if your naked eye star is 15*s from your target then you starhop using your widest fov eyepiece.,just like using any other pointing devise.,ie.,reddot or telrad.,a telrad has the circles which you can use to guesstimate distance's.,but without naked eye stars you have nothing to "really" measure the circles against.,hence the guesstimating.,I can use a laser to point my scope at a number of targets that I know the location of.,or using a triangulating type of positioning/pointing.,I found some lasers can't be seen when there's too much LP.,so a reddot/telrad would be better under those skies.,

#3650 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

Hello all,

Thanks, and clear skies!

-Cappy

Hi Cappy,

I use a digital angle gauge and azimuth circle on several of my scopes, including the Onesky.  It's very simple.  I made a circle about an inch bigger than the base using this site:  https://www.blocklay...r-printeng.aspx.  I took it to FedEx Office to have it printed and laminated, cut it out and mounted it between the two bases.  I cut out a 3" window in the upper board and tacked on a strip of metal to hold a pointer.  When I observe, I polar-align the scope, putting the pointer on 0.  Then I fine tune it by viewing a known object.  The angle gauge just sticks right to the tube.  All you need to do is to use a planetarium app like sky safari or stallarium and find the altitude and azimuth of your target.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

onesky Sc
onesky holder

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett and spoonerizms like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics