•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5064 replies to this topic

#4701 jlcop

jlcop

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:14 PM

On the OneSky, first thing to check before adjusting the allen screws is whether the stalk that holds the mirror is pivoted.  Looking down the focuser with a collimation cap, or without any eyepiece will show if this is happening.  Mine was rotated when I got it, and I rotated it back with my hand, as it was loose enough to do this.  It occasionally rotates again when the scope is transported in a car.  It can more permanently be corrected (described in this thread) by tightening the nut that holds the stalk to the outer ring. 

This was my experience as well. After adjusting the stalk once after mine was delivered I've never had to adjust the secondary. I just followed the collimation instructions that came with it.

John

#4702 davstrom

davstrom

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 December 2020 - 06:07 PM

I just bought a 5/64 Allen driver (the hardware store did not have 2mm) which seems to fit the recessed screw heads in the secondary. However, when I put the driver in, the screws feel too tight to turn. I am loath to force it unless I know that is okay.

Is there something else I need to do to adjust the secondary? Do I have to loosen the main Phillips head also?

Frankly, I am leaning toward leaving well enough alone. I still get the primary circles aligned just fine. It is jut the the secondary seems skewed slightly to one side.

P.S. I am looking forward to watching Jupiter and Saturn snuggle up and kiss tonight. Last night, I saw Jupiter's moons and Saturns rings (and their shadow on Saturn) just fine, both in the same field of view at 141 power. However, since Jupiter is close to the horizon in the SF bay area, the atmosphere is not very steady and I can't easily see the two big bands on Jupiter that I usually do.

#4703 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 December 2020 - 06:22 PM

I just bought a 5/64 Allen driver (the hardware store did not have 2mm) which seems to fit the recessed screw heads in the secondary. However, when I put the driver in, the screws feel too tight to turn. I am loath to force it unless I know that is okay.

Is there something else I need to do to adjust the secondary? Do I have to loosen the main Phillips head also?

Frankly, I am leaning toward leaving well enough alone. I still get the primary circles aligned just fine. It is jut the the secondary seems skewed slightly to one side.

P.S. I am looking forward to watching Jupiter and Saturn snuggle up and kiss tonight. Last night, I saw Jupiter's moons and Saturns rings (and their shadow on Saturn) just fine, both in the same field of view at 141 power. However, since Jupiter is close to the horizon in the SF bay area, the atmosphere is not very steady and I can't easily see the two big bands on Jupiter that I usually do.

Yes, loosening the center bolt will ease the tension on the secondary tilt screws. You do want them nice and tight when you’re done.

#4704 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:24 PM

Just received my AWB OneSky a few days ago, looked for info on the first upgrades I should get and found this thread, so I joined the site, and have a lot of thread to read, haha. Thanks for all the info I have read so far!

Welcome to CN, and congratulation's on your purchase of the AWB 130!

Every modification that I made to my AWB, I learned how to do it from here on CN.waytogo.gif

Like Steve said, do not be afraid to ask a stupid question. I have learned a lot of tip's about the AWB, just from this thread!!!

Good luck with your AWB, & clear skies.

Bill

#4705 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Den Haag, The Netherlands

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:04 PM

For some inspiration on how to make a shroud and some other cheap mods:

https://youtu.be/vBkPU6ecVhk (no, that is not me)

Last week I had a few hours observing. First of all, I had three clear evenings to observe the conjunction-to-be. Of course, on December 21st it was raining and raining... 

Furthermore, a week ago I drove to my (presumably) pretty dark spot to observe. However, this evening this spot was not so well (anymore?). It was quite close to a nearby town and there were some farms with more lighting. So I think it will be the last time I go there: it’s not really worth the ride. I do have more skies to see (no buildings nearby), but it’s not much darker.

However, when I got there and set up my stuff, and started to enjoy the skies. I went to M42 straight away. I can see M43 as well (it was quite dim though). After that I went to M52. It’s not that spectacular at first. After I removed dew from the secundary mirror it got a bit more clear. I really need a fix to prevent dew a bit more.

After M52 I went to the Pleiades (M45). It’s a breathtaking object every time I see it... Then up to Andromeda Nebula (M31). It’s a bit more bright than from my home location, though not that much. Perhaps transparancy was not as well as I hoped. Blue Snowball was hardly visible (compared to nearby stars). Then off we go to M81 and M82. The Heritage/Onesky is not big enough to observe details.

After that, fog and clouds rolled in and I called it a night. It was fun for an hour or 2. I packed my stuff and carefully drove off to home, since the fog got denser by the minute.

Next time I will try another spot. I have heard some good stories on “Wassenaarse Slag”,  over here. SQM is around 20, which is pretty good for me.

• clearwaterdave and cookjaiii like this

#4706 wozburger

wozburger

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:06 AM

Hopefully you avoided the clouds and got to see the big event! I found a great post/thread about secondary collimation here (not specific to the OneSky). Really clear description of what does what: https://www.cloudyni...e-to-collimate/

Sadly for me, I found the above thread because I messed around with my secondary and neglected to tighten things up, so during "The Great Conjunction" on the 21st I saw a couple of bright blobs! At least I did get to see things clearly yesterday after following the advice in the above thread - my window of opportunity was about 7 minutes, with the clouds and nearby buildings, so things were a bit frantic!

Also, one mod I've now done is replace those allen screws with thumb screw bolts (whatever they're actually called). So I can now adjust the primary AND secondary without tools.

Edited by wozburger, 23 December 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#4707 Welshman

Welshman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:08 AM

Just received my AWB OneSky. While I was waiting for it to be delivered I built the Super Simple Tripod with 2x4s and plywood thanks to David Fullers really great instructions and added the updates (carrying handle, iPad holder and bungee metal eyes). I ordered a moon filter as well as a red light flashlight. When I got my hands on the OneSky I couldn't wait to start using it and I skipped adjustments and hoped for the best. It actually worked really well. I managed to locate Mars and on the 22nd December I managed to locate Jupiter and Saturn through the trees and low in the sky and of course a really crisp image of the moon. That was all very exciting and it helped me to figure out how best to locate various objects. It took me a little time to get used to the red dot finder but I think I have it now. I put a little grease on the focuser threads and that made them nice and smooth. My next mod will be the light shroud.

There were some positions of the scope where I had difficulty sighting through the finder and I'm wondering if a 45 degree diagonal will help. I'm not getting any younger.

I was having so much fun I think I was out in the cold with a brilliant display of stars in my back yard for about 3 hours and Orion and Sirius were so bright. My yard backs onto the 16th fairway of a golf course so I don't a whole lot of light pollution thank goodness. Condensation may become a problem so I'm going to get that shroud built ASAP. I can't wait to set up my iPhone to take pictures and I saw an adapter on Amazon. How it will work with a 3-lens iPhone I'm not sure but there's plenty of time.

This is a terrific forum and I have started to write down many of the comment numbers. Thank you to all who post such really helpful information here. Have a great holiday y'all. Stay safe and clear skies.

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#4708 davstrom

davstrom

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:09 AM

I was lucky, there were a few clouds but they parted well enough for me to see Jupiter and Saturn. They were low to the horizon, and the San Francisco Bay Area air was a bit turbulent, but I could still see Saturn's rungs and Jupiter's moons, but I could not easily see the main belts on Jupiter. I was afraid to mess with the secondary before the 21st. I might consider it over the holidays.

I am going to look up the thumb screw bolts you referred to. Might be a good idea. Maybe you can let us know how that works for you.

Hopefully you avoided the clouds and got to see the big event! I found a great post/thread about secondary collimation here (not specific to the OneSky). Really clear description of what does what: https://www.cloudyni...e-to-collimate/

Sadly for me, I found the above thread because I messed around with my secondary and neglected to tighten things up, so during "The Great Conjunction" on the 21st I saw a couple of bright blobs! At least I did get to see things clearly yesterday after following the advice in the above thread - my window of opportunity was about 7 minutes, with the clouds and nearby buildings, so things were a bit frantic!

Also, one mod I've now done is replace those allen screws with thumb screw bolts (whatever they're actually called). So I can now adjust the primary AND secondary without tools.

• SteveG likes this

#4709 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:02 AM

Welshman.,the reddot pointer is a pain in the neck.,Many replace it with a green laser pointer.,

I use this one.,and with a small piece of wood I was able to mount it right on the reddot mount.,

Davstrom.,The thumbscrews are nice.,but once you align the secondary it should not need adjustment again unless it gets bumped hard.,Only the primary goes out of alignment from normal use.,good luck.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191215_041640.jpg.jpg
  • 20181217_103104.jpg.jpg
  • 20181217_103001.jpg.jpg

• SteveG and cookjaiii like this

#4710 wozburger

wozburger

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:50 AM

I was lucky, there were a few clouds but they parted well enough for me to see Jupiter and Saturn. They were low to the horizon, and the San Francisco Bay Area air was a bit turbulent, but I could still see Saturn's rungs and Jupiter's moons, but I could not easily see the main belts on Jupiter. I was afraid to mess with the secondary before the 21st. I might consider it over the holidays.

I am going to look up the thumb screw bolts you referred to. Might be a good idea. Maybe you can let us know how that works for you.

Like clearwaterdave said, once set, the secondary shouldn't need adjusting anywhere near as much as the primary, but when I do need to, I know I'm going to appreciate not having to fumble around for the right allen key!

This is where I got the idea: https://www.cloudyni...ers/?p=10700220

• clearwaterdave likes this

#4711 TNRob

TNRob

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:16 AM

Greetings to all from Knoxville, TN. I ordered a OneSky Newtonian 12/10 & have since been reading this massive thread til' my eyeballs bleed!

Many thanks to the contributors on this thread. It has been a wealth of information. I have ordered shroud material & a modest 2x Barlow as a direct result (as well as bookmarked a half dozen key posts for future reference).

@MSimmons , At time of my order, an end of December delivery date  was listed. Current delivery date indicates end of Feb.. Is there a cut-off date for that 12/31 delivery?

• Amador Observer likes this

#4712 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

Greetings to all from Knoxville, TN. I ordered a OneSky Newtonian 12/10 & have since been reading this massive thread til' my eyeballs bleed!

Many thanks to the contributors on this thread. It has been a wealth of information. I have ordered shroud material & a modest 2x Barlow as a direct result (as well as bookmarked a half dozen key posts for future reference).

@MSimmons , At time of my order, an end of December delivery date  was listed. Current delivery date indicates end of Feb.. Is there a cut-off date for that 12/31 delivery?

Sorry, I can't help you with the delivery question, Rob. I'm no longer with AWB.

Mike

#4713 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:33 AM

At last I have received my "Bob's Knobs" for poor people from aliexpress.

30 mm long M4 screws with black painted aluminum head, they came in packs of 5 so use the remaining 2 to replace the focuser screws, cut one of them and leave the other at the original length to help fine focus.
I leave you the link in case someone is interested, all for 7$:

https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

1607028632090.jpg   1607028632074.jpg

My Chinese knobs arrived today.  In the OneSky, they stuck up too high to install the cap.  I marked them with a sharpie and measured the depth at 22mm.  Ordered a set of 25mm knobs for the OneSky.  Your mileage may vary.

All is not lost, however, as the 30mm knobs worked well in my XT6.

50762184778_8bbf4d5726_c.jpg 

Not quite as slick looking as the legit Bob's Knobs I installed in both my Skywatchers, but at the price I'm not about to complain.

50762915846_278941e4f9_c.jpg 

Ordering link I used.  They arrived quickly for something that came from China.

https://www.ebay.com...mm/174351283245

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 26 December 2020 - 11:34 AM.

#4714 Welshman

Welshman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:34 AM

At time of my order, an end of December delivery date  was listed. Current delivery date indicates end of Feb.. Is there a cut-off date for that 12/31 delivery?

I had a date of 12/28 but it actually arrived on 12/21 which was really great. Hopefully it will arrive next week for you.

clearwaterdave, which model of the green laser pointer did you get? Does it have a glass target also? Thanks for the recommendation. Reasonable price also.

• TNRob likes this

#4715 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amador County, California

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:48 AM

Good Morning!

I am in a similar boat - I ordered mine December 3, and my wife and kids printed out the "It will be here in Late December" card that they have on the website. When we called, we got kind of a vague answer saying hopefully sometime in February.... NOT COMPLAINING, just bummed. My college kids are staying with us for a week after Christmas ( and yes, they are taking Astronomy and Astronomy Lab!), and we were hoping to do some viewing together. Never have I wanted my old Celestron 127EQ more.... yeah, its that desperate, LOL! I know between home schoolers, bored people due to covid, and manufacturing challenges due to covid, that this delay is to be expected.

Curious - what Barlow did you get? I'm thinking a Celestron X-Cell 2x, just to get a decent one to grow with.  I also went to Michaels (the art and craft store) and got my shroud material already, and went to Lowes for my plumbers tape for the eyepiece stabilization.

Clear Skies!

Chris Larson

"Amador Observer"

• TNRob likes this

#4716 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:20 PM

Longing for a bird-jones scope?

If it's THAT bad, take a drive to San Fran...

https://sfbay.craigs...7252298090.html

Even comes with a solar filter.  I like the OneSky a whole lot more than the XT4.5 (I've owned both) but that solar filter has some value to it and makes the package worthwhile even after the OneSky arrives...

#4717 Dave_O

Dave_O

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

Inexpensive replacement RDF?

#4718 TNRob

TNRob

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:18 PM

Thanks MSimmons for your reply & more importantly for your service w/ such a grand program as AWB. I have appreciated your posts & info in this thread.

Welshman, Re: your 12/28 date... I assume that was an email shipping date notification from AWB or Orion? I haven't received anything like that, so I assume no news is bad news in this case.

Amador Observer, thanks for the info re: your order date & follow-up ph call. Pretty much as I feared given manuf. delays worldwide on everything under the sun.  Based on attached post from Lazaroff & others in this forum, I went w/ the cheaper SVBony 2x Barlow:

https://www.cloudyni...orders/page-130

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

My wife & I are avid birders, so we have/ had many spotting scopes & different magnifcation binoculars. Other than utilizing bird scopes/ binos, planisphere, & couple star books... this is our first "for reals" telescope, so we are looking forward to playing w/ it whenever we get it.

Edited by TNRob, 26 December 2020 - 01:46 PM.

• MSimmons likes this

#4719 Welshman

Welshman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

TNRob, The 12/28 date was on the web page where I placed my order. I did not receive an email confirmation. If you place your order before the 12/28 date changes, that's your forecast date (or earlier than the forecast date as in my case) for delivery from what I understand. Based on the volume of subsequent orders that date on the web page will change to reflect their stock levels. The change in the projected delivery date on the web site doesn't affect your order if you got in before the date change. That is how I understand the way it works. I could be wrong. I ordered my OneSky on/around November 29th and it arrived on December 21st so I got lucky.

BlueTrain2028 - Very Welsh town name you have there  - Bala Cynwyd. I was kayaking on lake Bala in North Wales two years ago with an old friend from Penrhyndeudraeth in North Wales. I also passed my driving test in Bala (One set of traffic signals and very few roads. (The hardest part was a 45 degree hill start using hand signals!!) I come from the Snowdonia area of North Wales myself. Lots of dark areas there however there's also lots of rain!

John

• TNRob likes this

#4720 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:06 PM

I had a date of 12/28 but it actually arrived on 12/21 which was really great. Hopefully it will arrive next week for you.

clearwaterdave, which model of the green laser pointer did you get? Does it have a glass target also? Thanks for the recommendation. Reasonable price also.

The laser is a Pinty.,that is it's box that it's sitting on.,Got it from Amazon,.I don't know what you mean by glass target.,If you mean telrad circles.,no.,this does not.,

#4721 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amador County, California

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

Longing for a bird-jones scope?

If it's THAT bad, take a drive to San Fran...

https://sfbay.craigs...7252298090.html

Even comes with a solar filter.  I like the OneSky a whole lot more than the XT4.5 (I've owned both) but that solar filter has some value to it and makes the package worthwhile even after the OneSky arrives...

I saw that, and also someone had a 127EQ for $99 shipped. Wow, I like the XT 4.5 way better, but both could work as a spare.... I would hate going back to the 127, but do I really want two very similar scopes? Never too many, I guess!

#4722 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:18 AM

I saw that, and also someone had a 127EQ for $99 shipped. Wow, I like the XT 4.5 way better, but both could work as a spare.... I would hate going back to the 127, but do I really want two very similar scopes? Never too many, I guess!

The XT4.5 has a significantly longer focal length than the OneSky, so it provides more magnification for planets, has a little more contrast too.  

On the downside, it doesn't show as much of the sky at once, and the OneSky does better than the XT4.5 on deep sky objects.  If I have to pick deep sky or planetary for my travel scope, I'm picking deep sky, it holds my interest better.

The solar filter with that XT4.5 (obviously) gives you the ability to check out the sun, which I think is a wonderful thing for any astronomer.  Can't say you like looking at "the stars" and ignore the one that's right next to us.

The two scopes, while mounted similarly and being portable, do have different uses.  The solar filter is $100 by itself new, and when you take that into account, that XT4.5 may be quite a good deal indeed so long as the filter is in great shape, check for pinholes.  You can black out pinholes with a Sharpie with those glass filters, so even if there are a few, it's OK.

Even if you find yourself only using the XT for solar in the end, it's worthwhile to buy.

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 27 December 2020 - 12:19 AM.

#4723 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:20 AM

Inexpensive replacement RDF?

I have a Celestron StarPointer Pro on my OneSky.  It's got a Telrad-like reticle instead of just a dot.  I like it more.

#4724 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:22 AM

BlueTrain2028 - Very Welsh town name you have there  - Bala Cynwyd. I was kayaking on lake Bala in North Wales two years ago with an old friend from Penrhyndeudraeth in North Wales. I also passed my driving test in Bala (One set of traffic signals and very few roads. (The hardest part was a 45 degree hill start using hand signals!!) I come from the Snowdonia area of North Wales myself. Lots of dark areas there however there's also lots of rain!

John

Yeah, the area was settled by Welsh immigrants originally.  They need to buy a vowel or three, haha!

Since I have an actual Welsh man mentioning it, is it "Kinwood", "Kinwid", "Sinwood", "Sinwid" or something entirely different?

We say "Kinwood" but I'm completely OK with learning it's wrong.

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 27 December 2020 - 12:24 AM.

#4725 Welshman

Welshman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:30 AM

Hi BlueTrane2028, You're quite right. it's difficult for people who were taught English exclusively. If you grow up with it, even if you speak mostly English, you will learn how to speak it like a native Welshman. lots of "ch" and "ddu"and "ll".

OK, so here's how a welshman/welshwoman would pronounce "Cynwyd". The "C" is a hard C, as in calf. The "Y" is pronounced as a "U" an "ugh" sound as in "luff". The "n" is as in English as in "null".

The "w" is pronounced like "oo". Pronounce the "oo" as per the sound "Who", or per the sound of the last two letters in "Brew" or the last letter in "do". The second "y" is pronounced differently to the first "y" because of its position in the word. If I put the "y" and "d" together they sound like the "id" in the name "Sid" or the word "bid"

So, phonetically then, Cynwyd is spoken as: "Cunooid" or "Kunwid" using the sounds described above. It is the name of a small village in North Wales in Denbighshire, near Corwen. The population is less than 1,000.

Here's the Wiki Description of the village: https://en.wikipedia...d,_Denbighshire

Happy New Year in Welsh is "Blwyddyn Newydd Dda". Of course you will have heard about the small village of

"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerwchwyrndrobwyllantysiliogogogoch" on Sir Fon (Anglesey). The sign for the town takes up most of the platform length on the train stop.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda everyone and clear skies.

Edited by Welshman, 27 December 2020 - 01:34 AM.

• cookjaiii and BlueTrane2028 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics