•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
4964 replies to this topic

#4876 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amador County, California

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:44 PM

Orion StarBlast Auto Tracker Mount and WiFi Adapter on a AWB One Sky 130?

Hello all! 

I have had my One Sky 130 for about a month, and absolutely LOVE it.  I added a Celetstron X-Cell 2X Barlow, and a Celestron Omni 32mm.  I also have done many of the mods we discuss here. For my next trick, I have had a Celestron NexYZ cell phone mount on order for a month and a half from OPT, but have been holding the phone up for some really shakey pictures, but still have fun with it.

My question is, has anybody here used the Orion StarBlast Auto Tracker Mount and WiFi Adapter on a AWB One Sky 130? I see a couple people on the Orion website have used it with some success, but when I search Cloudy Nights, I don't come up with anything. I REALLY enjoy star hopping, and learning the sky - this would NOT be used for GoTo navigation, but tracking with the cell phone mount for decent deep sky/lunar/planetary cell phone pictures.  I know there will be limitations, but what do you guys think?

Many thanks!

Chris Larson

#4877 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:37 PM

I have used it with my Nexstar 8SE mount and it works great!

• Amador Observer likes this

#4878 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:03 PM

I have used it with my Nexstar 8SE mount and it works great!

Right on, thank you! Its quite affordable, and if it works, could be amazing for my little scope! 

Chris

#4879 lbim

lbim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:39 AM

My question is, has anybody here used the Orion StarBlast Auto Tracker Mount and WiFi Adapter on a AWB One Sky 130? I see a couple people on the Orion website have used it with some success, but when I search Cloudy Nights, I don't come up with anything. I REALLY enjoy star hopping, and learning the sky - this would NOT be used for GoTo navigation, but tracking with the cell phone mount for decent deep sky/lunar/planetary cell phone pictures.  I know there will be limitations, but what do you guys think?

Chris Larson

Hi Chris

My version of this configuration is on page 165 message #4124 . Have a look if you wish.

LBIM

• clearwaterdave likes this

#4880 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:07 PM

Hi Chris

My version of this configuration is on page 165 message #4124 . Have a look if you wish.

LBIM

Thank you, looking now!

#4881 Amador Observer

Amador Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:33 PM

Hi Chris

LBIM

I just checked it out - GREAT idea on the scuba weights! Was mounting that base to a tripod difficult?

#4882 lbim

lbim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

I just checked it out - GREAT idea on the scuba weights! Was mounting that base to a tripod difficult?

Orion AutoTracker mount is screwed to the tripod by M8 screw and big washer from Home Depot.
LBIM

• Amador Observer likes this

#4883 astrogta

astrogta

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

I just came to know about degree circles today.

Anyone use them with Onesky?

Are they easy to add without any tool work?

Are they as good as go to mounts?

#4884 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:41 PM

Yes,Yes and Yes.,Read through some of the posts here for great idea's.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180825_172109..jpg.jpg
  • 20190327_183143.jpg(1).jpg.jpg

• astrogta and Richie2shoes like this

#4885 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

I am thinking of re-buying the OneSky, now that there are plenty of 3D printed mods available. I bought and used the OneSky a number of years ago, but sold it due to the frustration of obtaining critical focus for imaging. I could not stand the helical focuser. Now, there are a few 3D printable mods that will replace the upper tube ring with a 3D printed mod that will allow you to replace the helical focuser with a new base and add the Orion 13031 standard 1.25" rack and pinion focuser.

https://www.telescop...160/p/13031.uts

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2795847

So, when they become available again in April, I will plunk down the $200 and get it.

For the light shroud, I was thinking of buying a dedicated dew shield and place it where the shroud would be needed or I could fabricate one like I did before. Or I could have a 3D printed shroud printed up but those are a bit expensive to have printed (think $100+).

#4886 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:04 PM

I am thinking of re-buying the OneSky, now that there are plenty of 3D printed mods available. I bought and used the OneSky a number of years ago, but sold it due to the frustration of obtaining critical focus for imaging. I could not stand the helical focuser. Now, there are a few 3D printable mods that will replace the upper tube ring with a 3D printed mod that will allow you to replace the helical focuser with a new base and add the Orion 13031 standard 1.25" rack and pinion focuser.

So, when they become available again in April, I will plunk down the $200 and get it.

For the light shroud, I was thinking of buying a dedicated dew shield and place it where the shroud would be needed or I could fabricate one like I did before. Or I could have a 3D printed shroud printed up but those are a bit expensive to have printed (think $100+).

Why not just purchase the Z130, with a rack and pinion focuser, solid tube, and tube rings?

• clearwaterdave, cookjaiii and Richie2shoes like this

#4887 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

They are fairly easy.  I put mine between the ground boards and notched the upper base.  You also need some sort of angle finder for altitude.  I use a digital one, CWD uses a protractor style.  

I used this site to create a pdf of the circle (14") https://www.blocklay...le-divider.aspx

Had it printed and laminated, lamination for a 14" and 24" circle was a total of $16 at FedEx Office.  I'm using a digital angle gauge.  I plan on gluing the circle to the triangular base, after cutting out the areas for the teflon pads, and notching about a 3" section of the top plate for the gauge.  The pointer will be a clock hand on a magnet.

Post #10373034 also has good info

onesky Sc

• astrogta likes this

#4888 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:31 PM

Why not just purchase the Z130, with a rack and pinion focuser, solid tube, and tube rings?

Because, the price is cheaper $200 vs $329; the tube is open as opposed to a solid tube and the rails provide a method of getting focus should I run into problems with my cameras not getting focus and I can slide the upper tube ring down to bring the focus out; the open tube allows for more compact travel as opposed to the solid tube which can not be slid down on the rails; also I like tinkering with my scopes and adding the 3D printed mods adds a new design to an already established telescope scheme.

• Zwick and mrsjeff like this

#4889 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

Because, the price is cheaper $200 vs $329; the tube is open as opposed to a solid tube and the rails provide a method of getting focus should I run into problems with my cameras not getting focus and I can slide the upper tube ring down to bring the focus out; the open tube allows for more compact travel as opposed to the solid tube which can not be slid down on the rails; also I like tinkering with my scopes and adding the 3D printed mods adds a new design to an already established telescope scheme.

Understood - you need the truss. The price of the Z130 is $200 when it's in stock. Those higher numbers are the price gougers.

• BFaucett likes this

#4890 g2contender

g2contender

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rochelle Virginia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

WooHoo !!

UPS says that my Onesky is out for delivery ! Can't wait to get home from work.  smile.gif  smile.gif smile.gif

• clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#4891 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:39 PM

WooHoo !!

UPS says that my Onesky is out for delivery ! Can't wait to get home from work.  smile.gif  smile.gif smile.gif

Well cool beans for you.,keep us posted on how it's working out for you.,

#4892 KC10201

KC10201

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

WooHoo !!

I ordered mine on January 13 and just received mine yesterday as well (March 2)! Can't wait to start exploring!

Edited by KC10201, 03 March 2021 - 10:02 AM.

• clearwaterdave and g2contender like this

#4893 jmark9306

jmark9306

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

Hi, just checking something you said, "when they become available again in April", are you referring to purchasing one on the AWB website? There's a two month back order on them. I purchased mine on 12/31/2020 and it arrived 03/02/2021. If the website says April it means it will take that long for it to arrive once you order it. Clear Skies! 

#4894 jmark9306

jmark9306

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:45 PM

Just received my AWB OneSky and it is awesome! First target was the Pleiades and it did not disappoint. Spotted the Orion Nebula as well, very impressed thus far. Can't seem to get the Barlow lens to work, it runs out of focus adjustment before focusing. Also trying to get my DSLR connected, any tips? Clear Skies!

Edited by jmark9306, 06 March 2021 - 06:46 PM.

• scotsman328i likes this

#4895 rhetfield

rhetfield

Apollo

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

Just received my AWB OneSky and it is awesome! First target was the Pleiades and it did not disappoint. Spotted the Orion Nebula as well, very impressed thus far. Can't seem to get the Barlow lens to work, it runs out of focus adjustment before focusing. Also trying to get my DSLR connected, any tips? Clear Skies!

for the dslr, partially collapse the truss. Probably have to recollimate.

#4896 greenjuice

greenjuice

Apollo

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:06 PM

Go back to the very beginning of this very long thread and you will find your answers.

#4897 KC10201

KC10201

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:20 AM

Have any of you tried to install this focuser on your Onesky? Or would you recommend a different focuser? Thanks!

https://agenaastro.c...ngle-speed.html

#4898 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

Have any of you tried to install this focuser on your Onesky? Or would you recommend a different focuser? Thanks!

https://agenaastro.c...ngle-speed.html

Maybe you should at least give the focuser a try before you consider replacing it.,which would be very difficult because of the way the scope is designed.,There's absolutely nothing wrong with the focuser.,like anything new to you.,.it will take a wee bit of time to get the hang of it.,

You should take the scope out and play with it.,day or night.,teach yourself to collimate.,and how to move the scope up an down an back and forth smoothly., and to focus.,.,There's a little to learn before you point it at the sky and have a good experience.,Take your time and enjoy that wonderful scope.,Best2u,.

• BFaucett and cookjaiii like this

#4899 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Messenger

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

I'd recommend you try a very simple modification to the existing focuser before getting involved in a replacement. It has worked wonders for me. All that's needed is to replace the thumbscrews, as shown in the photo below.

IMG 0348 reduced

The idea of using a longer thumbscrew, or attaching some other long lever to the focuser, is an old one, and if you look through the posts on this topic, you'll probably find multiple examples. But perhaps not everyone realizes what a difference this can make.

Obviously, one way it helps is by "gearing down" the mechanism. It's why people add peanut-butter-jar lids to the knobs on some rack-and-pinion focusers.

But that's only part of the story. The long arm also acts as a lever, reducing the force needed to turn the focuser's drawtube. Any force applied in focusing by hand not only turns the drawtube, it also slightly moves the scope as a whole, resulting in image shift and vibration--things that make focusing more difficult. Reducing that force can make an enormous difference--much more than you might expect.

You can find thumbscrews like the ones I'm using by searching eBay for "nylon thumbscrew m4." I like the white ones because they're easier to see in the dark, but I see only black ones available on eBay these days. I chose a 30mm length--that's the threaded part only. (I cut one thumbscrew shorter with a razor blade because that helps with packing the scope into the case I'm using.) The end of the 30mm thumbscrew easily clears the red-dot finder, as you can see.

These particular thumbscrews have certain additional advantages. First, nylon doesn't scratch an eyepiece barrel the way metal does. Second--an unexpected bonus--the tabular end allows me easily to keep track of the number turns of the screw. I quickly learned how many turns it takes to avoid snagging the undercut on an eyepiece barrel.

When I first added the longer thumbscrew and focused with one finger lightly on the end it, I was amazed by how much it helped. I found I could focus much more quickly and with greater precision. Whether it would help you as much may depend on other details of your setup. The only other alteration I made to my focuser was a light application of chapstick to the threads, just to cure a slight roughness in the movement. If you've added heavy grease or if you're squeezing your focuser with a hose clamp you may have increased the force needed to turn the focuser, so you may have more vibration than I, even with the longer thumbscrew. Also, if you have a rock-solid mount you may not have much vibration anyway when you focus.

It's easy enough to try.

Edited by Lazaroff, 07 March 2021 - 03:46 PM.

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, cookjaiii and 4 others like this

#4900 KC10201

KC10201

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:14 PM

I'm slowly learning more about my new Onesky and wanted to share some photos and information if anyone was interested in my last update. I recently added the Pinty green laser light to my Onesky, which I got from Amazon. I was able to reach out to a fellow member who was able to put together an STL file for the mount, which can be found here.

gallery_356909_16237_47247.jpg

Once the mount was printed out, I removed the screw at the top of the telescope nearest to the eye piece. I had to get a new M4x15 screw since the other was too short.

gallery_356909_16237_48941.jpg

With the mount attached, I slide the new scope on and tightened it down. I did have to shorten the truss screw knob to allow it to fit next to the new mount (forgot to put it back on for this picture), but when collapsed it fit perfectly.

gallery_356909_16237_23763.jpg

I hope this helps some of you visually see how the Pinty laser can be connected to your scope, if that's what you're looking to do, without major modification. Enjoy!

• clearwaterdave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics