•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5065 replies to this topic

#4901 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

I screwed an glued a small piece of wood on the reddot mount.,this has worked good for me.,the remote I have about where yours is mounted.,

These lasers work great for this scope.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181217_103115.jpg.jpg
  • 20181217_103001.jpg.jpg
  • 20180825_172109..jpg.jpg

• BFaucett likes this

#4902 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:02 PM

Here's another alternative.

Onesky 1

Onesky 2

Edited by Lazaroff, 11 March 2021 - 07:04 PM.

• clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#4903 KC10201

KC10201

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

Excellent examples Clearwaterdave and Lazaroff! Definitely multiple ways to do it!
  • clearwaterdave likes this

#4904 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:14 AM

And thank you for your idea. The more the better!

• clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#4905 KC10201

KC10201

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

So I have the green laser installed, but I'm now trying to install the light shroud using kydex. That material is thicker and harder to bend compared to posterboard or the craft foam. For those that have a light shroud from kydex installed, how did you get it installed? Did you "put it together" once you rolled it up and put it in the tube? I was hoping to glue/tape the ends together first and then install but that doesn't really seem possible. Is there a way to take the truss off so I'm not working above the mirror? Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

#4906 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:15 PM

So I have the green laser installed, but I'm now trying to install the light shroud using kydex.

<...snip...>

you can take the entire front off the tube or you can take the mirror cell off the tube (or you can do both).  When you make the shroud, do not make my mistake and forget to cut a hole for the focuser and then wonder why the scope no longer works.

• SteveG, cookjaiii and Richie2shoes like this

#4907 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:47 PM

So I have the green laser installed, but I'm now trying to install the light shroud using kydex. That material is thicker and harder to bend compared to posterboard or the craft foam. For those that have a light shroud from kydex installed, how did you get it installed? Did you "put it together" once you rolled it up and put it in the tube? I was hoping to glue/tape the ends together first and then install but that doesn't really seem possible. Is there a way to take the truss off so I'm not working above the mirror? Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

Remove the entire truss assembly by removing the 3 Phillips head screws around the circumference of the upper tube. Do not try to disassemble the truss rods.

Mine is done with Kydex. See page 1 of this thread.

Edited by SteveG, 12 March 2021 - 09:48 PM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#4908 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Den Haag, The Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:37 AM

I recently bought a pinty laser as well. However, I chose for the 11 mm mounting piece. I just screw it on the telescope directly, ‘sacrificing’ the RDF. I replaced the hexagon screw for a more comfortable one I can screw without tools.

I am trying to find a mounting solution for both: RDF on the usual spot and the laser on a shoefinder base. 

• BFaucett likes this

#4909 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:12 AM

I am trying to find a mounting solution for both: RDF on the usual spot and the laser on a shoefinder base. 

If I'm understanding you right. . . 

Take a look at post #4902. Instead of mounting the "shoefinder" on the scope's tube, you could mount it on the piece of wood that's bolted to the dovetail in the photos. (This was a prototype; aluminum would be better.)

This is a good place for a laser to be because (1) it minimizes the effect on the scope's balance, and (2) it puts the bright laser on the opposite side of the scope from the user--a safety advantage.

There's also an advantage to putting the laser in a place where its beam passes nowhere near the focuser: you can align the laser while looking through the eyepiece. Just adjust the laser until you see the end of the laser beam in the center of the eyepiece's field of view. No need to use a star.

Edited by Lazaroff, 16 March 2021 - 10:20 AM.

• cookjaiii and Goverman like this

#4910 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

<...snip...>

That actually might work even better than my idea! I already have a mini-dovetail on the tube of my scope, so just slide it in with the right adapter was my first thought. I have mounted it at the top of the tube, which is near the balance point, so balance was not my main concern.

However, your idea is also perfectly work. There is a screwhole available, so it should not be difficult to try your idea.

#4911 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

<...snip...>

That actually might work even better than my idea! I already have a mini-dovetail on the tube of my scope, so just slide it in with the right adapter was my first thought. I have mounted it at the top of the tube, which is near the balance point, so balance was not my main concern.

However, your idea is also perfectly work. There is a screwhole available, so it should not be difficult to try your idea.

#4912 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

I have mounted it at the top of the tube, which is near the balance point, so balance was not my main concern.

If you mount the laser that way there's an effect on balance that's easy to overlook. Imagine if the scope is pointed straight up. The weight of the laser tends to tip the scope past the vertical. The eyepiece and focuser already have that effect, and this makes it worse.

Mounting the laser on the side--as in post #4902--doesn't add to that problem at all.

(Mounting the laser on the bottom of the scope tube can counterbalance the effect of the eyepiece and focuser, but I think that's an awkward place to put it. It also prevents you from putting your head near the laser and looking along the beam, which is sometimes helpful.) 

P.S. There's no need for a dovetail shoe or adaptor. You can just attach the laser directly to the strip of metal or wood, as in the pictures. Couldn't be simpler.

Edited by Lazaroff, 16 March 2021 - 11:41 AM.

#4913 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:03 PM

If you mount the laser that way there's an effect on balance that's easy to overlook.

<...snip...>

You guys must be using heavier lasers than I am. Mine present no balance issues at all, nor do my heavy eyepieces when placed in the focuser. 

#4914 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

You guys must be using heavier lasers than I am. Mine present no balance issues at all, nor do my heavy eyepieces when placed in the focuser. 

I think how much you notice the effect will depend on the mount you're using. I certainly notice it with the mount seen in the photographs and moderately heavy Paradigm-like eyepieces. As a consequence, I have to tighten the altitude bearing more than I otherwise would. 

I don't know how noticeable it would be with the same eyepieces and the mount that comes with the OneSky.

#4915 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

I think how much you notice the effect will depend on the mount you're using. I certainly notice it with the mount seen in the photographs and moderately heavy Paradigm-like eyepieces. As a consequence, I have to tighten the altitude bearing more than I otherwise would. 

I don't know how noticeable it would be with the same eyepieces and the mount that comes with the OneSky.

I was able to easily balance everything using the original mount.

#4916 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 03:58 PM

What is the bigger milestone:  5000 posts or 200 pages?

#4917 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:46 PM

I was able to easily balance everything using the original mount.

Good. I can easily balance everything using the DwarfStar mount, too, but I need to tighten up the altitude bearing a bit to do it. I adjust the scope's dovetail in the mount so the scope is balanced when pointed to an intermediate altitude. When the scope is pointed lower, gravity tries to pull it still lower. When it's pointed higher, gravity tries to pull it still higher. Tightening up the altitude knob takes care of this, but that reduces the ease of movement--a small change, but it's noticeable.

The greater balance problem with a heavier eyepiece is one I didn't anticipate before I bought one. It happens when I want to change eyepieces. As soon as I remove an eyepiece the balance is thrown off so much that the telescope moves--unless I tighten up the altitude bearing enough to stop it. It's impractical to keep tightening and loosening the knob, so I leave it just tight enough so the scope won't move when I'm between eyepieces. The tightness decreases the ease of altitude movement more than I'd like, but I live with it. (A lock on the altitude bearing would be a real help.)

Edited by Lazaroff, 16 March 2021 - 07:56 PM.

#4918 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:13 PM

Good. I can easily balance everything using the DwarfStar mount, too, but I need to tighten up the altitude bearing a bit to do it. 
<…snip…>

I wonder if a handle of some sort could be attached to the Alt. knob that made it easier to tighten or loosen.,

I keep my ep's close to hand and switch using one hand and hold the scope with the other,.but still need to adjust something if the weight is too different so,.it's still the best little big scope.,,good luck.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200106_123852.jpg.jpg

• Stargazer3236 and BFaucett like this

#4919 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:54 PM

Thanks, Clearwater--always good to have suggestions. I get a little backlash because of the tightened knob but it works pretty well--well enough for me to have a good time under the stars, and that's what matters, right? This is my travel scope, and the simpler the better.

Enjoy those Maine skies!

#4920 WillR

WillR

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:30 PM

My partner and I bought ourselves a OneSky for Christmas. After a quick look or two over the holidays, we had our first real observing session last night, which happened to be the vernal equinox and at the exact time the Lunar X was visible. After trying to figure out what exactly what we were looking for, success!! Our 25 year old daughter managed to get some pictures with an iphone, which brings me to question #1. Has anyone had success mounting a phone the these? I would think so. They are devilishly hard to hold in the right place.

I last had a telescope as a boy and my partner has no observing experience. She is however teaching HS astronomy now and knows her theoretical stuff and is learning her way around the sky. We are both looking forward to having fun with this scope. Other than the moon, last night we had a look at the Pleiades and M42 and tonight I found M36,37,or 38- not sure which!

One issue I had was trying to get the red dot finder aligned. There just wasn't enough play in the adjustment knobs. I had to shim the back end of the mount to tip it a bit forward.

I have been reading some of this thread from the beginning forward and the end back. Maybe I'll meet in the middle! I'll ply with the scope a while and then decide what upgrades I may make. Tripod, light shield, lenses, Barlow, laser finder?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1290.jpg
  • IMG_1292.jpg

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett and cookjaiii like this

#4921 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:52 PM

Hello and welcome to CN,.and to the Onesky thread.,You got a couple of good pics there.,I have a rig that holds the fone over the eyepiece,.I haven't tried it on the OneSky yet..,but folks have setup cameras on it on tracking mounts.,

Lots of good tweeks you can do to it as well for not too much $$$. 

I use a laser pointer instead of the reddot.,I mounted it right on the reddot mount with a small piece of wood.,Good luck.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180317_080432.jpg.jpg.jpg
  • 20181217_103001.jpg.jpg

#4922 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:57 AM

My partner and I bought ourselves a OneSky for Christmas.

<...snip...>

The light shield is the number one thing.  Next is to add degree circles (look at the picture of Dave's scope)  Add teflon or chapstick to the focuser threads.

When you get a barlow, find one that the lens can come out and screw into the end of an eyepiece.  Doing that will allow it to function as both a 2x and 1.5x.  Then look into a short eyepiece - somewhere in the 5mm-6.5mm range.  Celestron x-cel and the paradyms sold by astronomics work well.  A variable polarizer helps with the glare on the moon and bright planets.  A UHC filter helps with some of the nebula.  A really dark sky does wonders for what you can see with the little wonder scope.

I like the following instructions for collimation.  Very important for viewing planetary detail.

https://garyseronik....to-collimation/

https://garyseronik....pe-collimation/

• cookjaiii likes this

#4923 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:56 AM

Hi WillR and astronomer colleagues I am a newbie. 

Nice pictures of the Moon sure beats my Moon, Aldebaran, Mars picture last week with my handheld Pentax 8-20x24 binoculars, GoSky universal smartphone adapter and 9 year old LG Thrive phone.  I ordered my OneSky and some books from Astronomers without Borders last week, the books are enroute the telescope order acknowledgement indicated it is backordered until after April.

I joined my local astronomy club, subscribed to Sky & Telescope, bought 7x50 binoculars and a Planisphere.  

I am learning about SVBony SV105 eyepiece camera and SharpCap but won't make a purchase until after my telescope arrives I may buy the SV305.  The GoSky phone adapter is nice but I don't have confidence to trust it yet with my new iPhone which I know will capture much better pictures.  I would welcome any opinions on the SV105 and SV305.

Sacramento and Mokelumne river salmon season hopefully opens July 16 and I can take my OneSky, laptop and get some good pictures at Hogback the sky is very dark out there.  I built a new boat Vessel Asteraea during the Covid lockdown and will be going out river salmon fishing regularly between July 16 to Dec 16.

I sure appreciate all the good information all of you astronomers have shared on this Cloudy Nights thread.  Thank you, Leland 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG3678.jpg

• cookjaiii likes this

#4924 aecker11

aecker11

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Olney, MD

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

WillR cool photos, never knew about the X! Light shroud is mandatory and very satisfying to complete. Mine is made from 3mm craft foam and secured to the inside of the bezel with 2 sided velcro tape.

There is lots of talk on here about RDF alternatives but I'm happy with mine. Something I love are my 6mm and 9mm "gold line" eyepieces (Orion Expanse clones), these can be had for $25, $30 tops (each).  bought a $30 2x barlow when I first got the scope but now I mostly use it for moon photos and not for observing, because the gold lines came later and they are so pleasant to use. If you have a DLSR, the 2x Barlow plus a T-mount adapter for your camera body should be under $50 total. Here's a photo from last night thru the barlow.

The 9mm gold line is the best one and with a barlow you can get nice high magnification. Jupiter and Saturn were gone before I got mine but they are fantastic on the  moon.

DSC02093

• cookjaiii likes this

#4925 WillR

WillR

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

There is just a few hour window to see the X. Snake Eyes, your shot looks like a day later. I marked where the X would be.

Thanks all for the tips. Does everyone make the shroud so it stays in place and goes into the tube when collapsed? I assume?

Dave how do you align the circle to north, the compass on your camera? I imaging proper alignment is critical or it is useless. I am also interested in your tripod. Homemade? Height adjustment?

Laser pointer seems like a no brainer because the red dot is impossible to use when looking at anything near the zenith.

Lenses are another matter. Will be researching. Thanks for the tips all.

Attached Thumbnails

• X.jpg

• lbim, clearwaterdave and aecker11 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics