•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
4964 replies to this topic

#4951 rhetfield

rhetfield

Apollo

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

We're on the same page.

<...snip...>

It has happened to me a few times.  Easy enough to twist it back into place.  I keep the cheshire in my kit, so that is handy if needed.  Also a little wrench to tighten the nut.  I also keep a small screwdriver and all the allens needed to fully disassemble the scope.

#4952 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Messenger

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

It has happened to me a few times. 

<...snip...>

Yup. I carry a kit just like that. Also a a box of tools for fixing my VW! 

#4953 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

Yes, that flexure is not an issue. I’ve read some posts here where the vane was loose, which is what I thought you were discussing when you said “weak point”.

The secondary stalk was made of aluminum when Celestron started importing it for AWB to sell. Every now and then some delivery gorilla would manhandle it enough to break the stalk, which sent the secondary down onto the primary mirror. Synta accepted it as a cost of business but it wasn't great for customer relations (which they didn't have to deal with). Then we had one shipment of OneSky's in which a very high percentage broke, which was really bad. Corey Lee at Celestron who had arranged the deal as Sr. VP of Product Development at the time contacted them and convinced them to switch to steel for the stalk. The new model was rigorously tested by the quality control experts at SkyWatcher USA who handled support for us (Kevin got up on a table and repeatedly dropped the packaged OneSky from about six feet) and it passed the test. Since then I don't think a stalk has ever broken. I know some received a OneSky with a very loose stalk, and beginners had no idea what to do about it. I don't know if that still happens but I agree with the advice to tighten that sucker down really tight.

Mike

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#4954 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:02 PM

Thank you Mike for the update. I hope you are doing ok in these troubled times.,best2u.,

• BFaucett likes this

#4955 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

Thank you Mike for the update. I hope you are doing ok in these troubled times.,best2u.,

Hi Dave. All good here. I hope you're doing alright though as I recall you're in a remote location like I am.

One silver lining of everyone isolating themselves is that astronomy has boomed. The companies can't keep product in stock. Let's hope everyone keeps looking up after this is over.

Clear skies,

Mike

P.S. I've joined the board of IDA so dark skies, too.

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett, cookjaiii and 2 others like this

#4956 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:40 AM

The secondary stalk was made of aluminum when Celestron started importing it for AWB to sell.

<...snip...>

Good to know. Mine is an early “Ares” version. I’ll have to check it and see if it’s steel or aluminum.

• BFaucett likes this

#4957 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

Hi Dave. All good here. I hope you're doing alright though as I recall you're in a remote location like I am.

One silver lining of everyone isolating themselves is that astronomy has boomed. The companies can't keep product in stock. Let's hope everyone keeps looking up after this is over.

Clear skies,

Mike

Mike, can you get and update for those of us with One Sky Telescopes on order with Astronomers Without Borders the reply I got with my order indicated availability after April now the web site reads after June?  They debited my checking account for the telescope 14 March 2021.  I sent an email to products@astronomerswithoutborders.org 2 April asking what my new ETA is and have not gotten a reply.  Thank you if you can help your signature line reads you are a founder.  Leland

#4958 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:34 PM

Mike, can you get and update for those of us with One Sky Telescopes on order with Astronomers Without Borders the reply I got with my order indicated availability after April now the web site reads after June?  They debited my checking account for the telescope 14 March 2021.  I sent an email to products@astronomerswithoutborders.org 2 April asking what my new ETA is and have not gotten a reply.  Thank you if you can help your signature line reads you are a founder.  Leland

SnakeEyes,

Mike is no longer with Astronomers Without Borders.

Sorry, I can't help you with the delivery question, Rob. I'm no longer with AWB.

Mike

The above quote is from: https://www.cloudyni...9#entry10757202 in this thread.

Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 08 April 2021 - 08:35 PM.

#4959 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

Hi Snakeyes (if that's your real name smile.gif ). As others have pointed out, I'm no longer at AWB and I don't have any contact with the people there. I don't know who's handling the products email address now. It looks like the person I had doing it is no longer there.

Sorry I can't help you.

Mike

• BFaucett likes this

#4960 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:31 PM

BobF and Mike, I just received an email update from Jen Vasquez with Astronomers without Borders.  I may not have to wait to much longer.  And you are right Mike my name is Leland not SnakeEyes.  

I am building a Pecan cookie table for the telescope and stool for me with rings laid down by our very own star the Sun and the Pecan's cells through photosynthesis.  Pecan is very heavy it is in the Hickory family the tree belonged to my neighbor and split at the upper crotch during a storm also caused by our Sun.  I am going to attach 3 hair pin legs to each cookie and the slab because 3 points define a plane making a stable base for the telescope and my retired butt.

Thank you Jeni BobF and Mike.  Leland

IMG_0979.JPG

Edited by SnakeEyes, 08 April 2021 - 10:32 PM.

• Bagwell likes this

#4961 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:51 PM

BobF and Mike, I just received an email update from Jen Vasquez with Astronomers without Borders.  I may not have to wait to much longer.  And you are right Mike my name is Leland not SnakeEyes. 

Glad to hear it. I know people at various manufacturers and the supply chain has been hammered while demand has shot up. Nothing's getting delivered on time though it's improving.

I should have noticed your name at the end of your message, but I like "SnakeEyes" anyway.

Gorgeous wood. That'll be one sturdy table. I'm sure you don't plan on dragging that thing around! Nice setup.

Mike

#4962 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:04 PM

Clear skies,

Mike

Mike, I think I read in one of the books I bought from Astronomers without Borders maybe "The World at Night autographed by Babak Tafreshi" IDA is an advocate for dark skies, is that right?  Well I have been fighting for dark skies in California writing letters to policy wonks about the problems they make for all of us by burning natural gas to pump a lot of water to Southern California and that dumps carbon into the atmosphere causing climate change and wild fires.  Here is a piece of the work I did last year https://forum.step.e...nia-usa/25307/2  I am a retired old man so they can't fire me and it was cool to get some "likes" from professors in Germany and France.  So I was pro clear skies before I got a telescope.  And the band math I worked through with Copernicus images in SNAP is going to help me look at planets with my new telescope, SharpCap and one of those new camera eyepieces once I get all tooled up.  Leland

#4963 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:16 PM

Yes, IDA (International Dark-Sky Association) has been working to preserve the night sky for 25 years or so. I've helped with the effort here and there but this is the first time I've been this involved. The night sky is as much a part of the natural environment as the land is. It's just that most people don't even know it's there anymore. Artificial light at night (ALAN) has big environmental consequences and has a significant impact on human health, again something most people aren't aware of. It's all connected. I'm starting some new projects soon, some of which will work to make people more aware the night sky of their ancestors is still there. ALAN is the one form of pollution that is completely reversible.

Good letter. There needs to be a more integrated look at environmental issues in local planning. Shortsightedness has us on the brink. Unlike the threat of nuclear annihilation of our youth (I'm an old retired guy, too) this one is already happening.

Where are you in SoCal? I'm in the Santa Monica Mountains in Agoura. The Milky Way was pretty easily visible on good nights but I'm afraid my eyes have deteriorated more than the light pollution has.

Mike

• Lazaroff likes this

#4964 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:51 PM

Hi Mike, I live in Concord CA and play stick a lot with my Labradors in my home made boat in the Sacramento San Joaquin Delta.  In the fall we salmon fish the Mokelumne River near Walnut Grove usually launch out of Wimpys.  Agoura sounds neat and dark skies would be sweet.  Salmon season goes through Dec 16 and we can fish an hour before sunrise so I plan on taking my One Sky Telescope and laptop with SharpCap and see what I can capture in the Delta before we fish.  There is a lot of light pollution around my home in Concord.  They burn rice fields in the Delta in the fall but I am hoping for some clear days and it is a lot darker out there.  Leland

#4965 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:56 PM

Leland, I misunderstood the reference to Southern California and thought you were around here. Your area sounds great. I've been in various places where crops are burned and it can be really bad but at least it clears up once they stop.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics