•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
5348 replies to this topic

#5201 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate, South Carolina (Bortle 4-5)

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

I've been thinking (always dangerous they tell me...)

Instead of making a table tripod, has anyone attempted mounting some heavy duty foldable legs directly to the base? Similar to the below but heavy duty...

Yes, I hear you now, that's wobbly, too much weight, it may not fit well...

Just wondering what y'all thought?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210726_084522.jpg

#5202 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:15 AM

I've been thinking (always dangerous they tell me...)

Instead of making a table tripod, has anyone attempted mounting some heavy duty foldable legs directly to the base? Similar to the below but heavy duty...

Yes, I hear you now, that's wobbly, too much weight, it may not fit well...

Just wondering what y'all thought?

Those legs may not be stable enough but the idea is a great one. I attached legs right to the bottom of mine.  they don't fold but I don't need them to,.This setup has worked very well for me.,and the OneSky.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210426_173722.jpg
  • 20200717_093906.jpg

• BFaucett, cookjaiii and CRAZYeye29325 like this

#5203 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

I have the tube covered with nice black light-absorbing flockboard. I think it helps. (I do not know about a baffle on the OneSky, I will search this forum for that.) https://www.fpi-prot.../flockboard.htm

However, I still cannot find the Ring Nebula. Maybe I need darker skies? I am in the San Francisco Bay area. I tried in San Mateo and in Santa Clara. Places with too much light pollution?

Or am I looking in the wrong place in the sky? Sky Safari shows a triangle of Vega at the top, Cygnus lower left, and Vulpecula lower right, with the Ring Nebula slightly below and to the right of Vega. Is that the right spot?

I have a nebula filter which works great, but only after I find the nebula in the first place.

When the SF Bay area astronomer club was meeting in the hills in San Carlos, I was able to spot the Ring Nebula, with a little help from other star gazers.

I will keep trying for the Ring Nebula. And I will look up more stuff per your advice. But it seems that when I look up the best deep sky objects in Sky Safari, the majority are just barely above the horizon.

I looked at the ring nebula the other night from suburban Chicago - probably bortle 8/9 and with haze.  At lower magnification it was barely there - just at the edge of seeing.  Even at higher magnification, there was not enough contrast to see it as a ring.  Probably would have helped to put the UHC filter on it.  The point being that enough light pollution and haze will kill it.  I haven't seen squat from my driveway since they opened up two new car dealers down the road last year.  Lot easier in a dark spot.  You will just have to get back in the hills.  

#5204 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

Those legs may not be stable enough but the idea is a great one. I attached legs right to the bottom of mine.  they don't fold but I don't need them to,.This setup has worked very well for me.,and the OneSky.,

I saw your setup earlier and that inspired me to see if I could find 3 identical crutches, but the thrift shop had 2 pair and they didn't match close enough to satisfy my OCD.

Those are crutches aren't they?

• clearwaterdave likes this

#5205 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

Or am I looking in the wrong place in the sky? Sky Safari shows a triangle of Vega at the top, Cygnus lower left, and Vulpecula lower right, with the Ring Nebula slightly below and to the right of Vega. Is that the right spot?

It sounds like you may need to refine your search a bit. Look carefully for the Ring Nebula about midway between the stars beta and gamma in Lyra. It will appear small and dim.

I used to spot the Ring from Redwood City with the three-inch reflector listed in my signature. That was decades ago, though, and I imagine light pollution has increased since then.

Edited by Lazaroff, 26 July 2021 - 11:34 AM.

#5206 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:57 AM

I was able to add two encoders to an AWB OneSky and I now have a wonderfully simple push-to system. See the details in the post here

https://www.cloudyni...ers/?p=11235454, and read the entire message stream for lots of tips and help

Don't want to double-post, but I'm quite frankly amazed how well this works, and how simple it is to build. No soldering required

Very nice job!

#5207 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:56 PM

I saw your setup earlier and that inspired me to see if I could find 3 identical crutches, but the thrift shop had 2 pair and they didn't match close enough to satisfy my OCD.

Those are crutches aren't they?

Yes they are,.I had the same problem with the different sizes but didn't notice till I was home.,It was with these aluminum ones and I was able to "fix" the short one.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190708_194857.jpg.jpg

• ArizonaScott likes this

#5208 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Yes they are,.I had the same problem with the different sizes but didn't notice till I was home.,It was with these aluminum ones and I was able to "fix" the short one.,

I saw this post the other day and it reminded me of your tripod;

The Frugal Astronomer

https://www.cloudyni...omer/?p=3253263

#5209 WillR

WillR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:29 PM

I have the tube covered with nice black light-absorbing flockboard. I think it helps. (I do not know about a baffle on the OneSky, I will search this forum for that.) https://www.fpi-prot.../flockboard.htm

(EDIT: I searched the forum, and I think the baffle refers to extending a little light-blocking at the front of the tube. I used a little flockboard to do just that because at a star party at a San Jose school, sometimes light would peep into the eyepiece from street lamps.)

However, I still cannot find the Ring Nebula. Maybe I need darker skies? I am in the San Francisco Bay area. I tried in San Mateo and in Santa Clara. Places with too much light pollution?

I have a nebula filter which works great, but only after I find the nebula in the first place.

When the SF Bay area astronomer club was meeting in the hills in San Carlos, I was able to spot the Ring Nebula, with a little help from other star gazers.

I will keep trying for the Ring Nebula. And I will look up more stuff per your advice. But it seems that when I look up the best deep sky objects in Sky Safari, the majority are just barely above the horizon.

I can see it in my One Sky and I am a real novice. It is actually one of the easier Messier objects to center in the eyepiece. I have a RACI which helps a lot. There are two bright stars that form the bottom of the parallelogram of Lyra, Sulafat and Sheliak. The nebula is on a line between them, a bit closer to Sheliak. I can easily fit them both in the finder  eyepiece and center the crosshairs on this spot. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ring nebula.jpg

#5210 Zavijava

Zavijava

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37N 122W

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:11 PM

San Mateo and Santa Clara might have too much light pollution, they are right there in the thick of things. From here in Almaden Valley the sky toward downtown San Jose looks almost like the fires of hell (except that it's white instead of red). If you could find a location west of 280 and 85 that would help a lot.

WillR posted a nice chart of where to look. At low power the nebula looks more like a star, so it has to be more precise than "to the right of Vega". Sheliak and Sulafat are nice references because they have a very unique recognizable pattern of other pretty bright stars next to them, so they are easy to identify. Again, at a low power you'll be using for initial aiming you are not looking for a nebula, you are looking for a star. Once you find it, you'll notice it has a bit of a fuzz to it. That's the time to up the power and add the nebula filter.

• WillR likes this

#5211 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:30 AM

I have observed the ring many times and never felt the need for a filter of any kind.,It sticks out quite well as is once you know where to look and what it looks like.,At low power you can see it as an unfocused looking star.,If your scope is focused it is easy to see the fuzzy looking star in the  middle of the two bottom stars in Lyra.,

I will  say this.,My daughter could see it easy.,her husband couldn't see it at all even after I centered it for him so it could be a matter of the observers eyesight as much as anything else.,

#5212 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

I have observed the ring many times and never felt the need for a filter of any kind.,It sticks out quite well as is once you know where to look and what it looks like.,At low power you can see it as an unfocused looking star.,If your scope is focused it is easy to see the fuzzy looking star in the  middle of the two bottom stars in Lyra.,

I will  say this.,My daughter could see it easy.,her husband couldn't see it at all even after I centered it for him so it could be a matter of the observers eyesight as much as anything else.,

That is the joy of living under dark skies.  Unfortunately, those of us in Bortle 8 or brighter skies have a much harder time and a UHC filter actually does help a bit.  I can still pick out the ring, but ever since they opened up a couple more car dealerships down the street I need the filter if I want to see dumbell.

#5213 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:16 AM

Light pollution is certainly a huge factor with the Ring, but it also takes practice to observe it.  Our brains fill in visual details that aren't necessarily there.  The Ring looks like a dim star, so our brain sees it as a star in a field of stars.  It's only when we look at each individual object one by one that we see it for what it is.   It's the same principle that causes socks to get lost in the laundry.  We look into the the round drum of the washer or dryer and our brain fills in the details of a round structure, but the sock isn't observed because it isn't an expected part of the pattern.

Take your time and look carefully at each bright spot in the field 

#5214 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Den Haag, The Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

(EDIT: I searched the forum, and I think the baffle refers to extending a little light-blocking at the front of the tube. I used a little flockboard to do just that because at a star party at a San Jose school, sometimes light would peep into the eyepiece from street lamps.)

I hardly believe darker skies are needed to spot M57 (Ring Nebula).

Earlier I posted my hometown. It’s Bortle 9 (SQM 17.6 or so). Even I can find M57 quite easily. However, under darker skies, more details are visible (a ring structure instead of a blob.

#5215 davstrom

davstrom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

Thanks to everyone replying and helping me out with my Ring Nebula troubles. (I'll get that wascowy wabbit!)

One takeaway is that I am likely to buy a finderscope. I lean toward the Orion 6x30 RACI because I'd want the widest field possible, and fairly low weight. I currently use the supplied red dot finder, and I expect to keep using it. (Advice here is, of course, welcome, but I have posted about finderscopes before.)

A sad note that those of you in the SF bay area know: Orion Telescope in Cupertino is closed. I had hoped to buy it there, it was a great store with great geeks running it. Sigh. Guess I'm going online again.

Edited by davstrom, 30 July 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#5216 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

Thanks to everyone replying and helping me out with my Ring Nebula troubles. (I'll get that wascowy wabbit!)

One takeaway is that I am likely to buy a finderscope. I lean toward the Orion 6x30 RACI because I'd want the widest field possible, and fairly low weight. I currently use the supplied red dot finder, and I expect to keep using it. (Advice here is, of course, welcome, but I have posted about finderscopes before.)

A sad note that those of you in the SF bay area know: Orion Telescope in Cupertino is closed. I had hoped to buy it there, it was a great store with great geeks running it. Sigh. Guess I'm going online again.

Be sure to buy a new mounting shoe with any finder you are adding. You will need to drill (2) holes in the steel tube in order to mounts this. Be careful doing this to ensure you don’t get any filings on the primary mirror. I suggest masking tape on both sides of the tube, and a new drill bit. You can mount a finder at the mid-point of balance, and it won’t through the tube off.

#5217 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

davstrom - I also live in the Bay Area (south bay), and as you can see in post #5195 in this thread, I've just installed a push-to system on my OneSky. Tell you what - I'll take mine out tonight or tomorrow, weather permitting, and try for the Ring. If I get it, I'd be more than happy to meet you somewhere on the Peninsula or South Bay and we can try together (because, as you know, it took a double-barrel to get the wabbit)

fudd
Just PM me ..... and if you don't care to, I totally understand. Not to worry

• Lazaroff likes this

#5218 davstrom

davstrom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:17 AM

Update on my finder scope decision process.

I remembered that I have old 8x21, 8.2 degree field-of-view binoculars. I took them out tonight, and I was able to see lots more stars than with my naked eyes, and get a nice wide field of view. So I think the Orion 6x30, 7 degree FOV finder scope will do the job for me, having twice the light gathering power of the 8x21 and nearly the same field-of-view. And it will be lighter and have a wider field of view than a 9x50.

The difference between the Orion 6x30 RACI and the 9x50 is a puny $20. If someone thinks the 9x50 would be worth the extra $20, the extra weight and bulk, and the narrower field-of-view, I'd be happy to hear it.

#5219 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:36 AM

Interesting, I will be adding a green laser soon. I was thinking about a RACI of some type. We'll see how this works out.

#5220 davstrom

davstrom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:46 AM

I can see it in my One Sky and I am a real novice. It is actually one of the easier Messier objects to center in the eyepiece. I have a RACI which helps a lot. There are two bright stars that form the bottom of the parallelogram of Lyra, Sulafat and Sheliak. The nebula is on a line between them, a bit closer to Sheliak. I can easily fit them both in the finder  eyepiece and center the crosshairs on this spot. 

6x30 or 9x50?

#5221 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

• Loc: Ithaca NY

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:30 AM

Hello all:

I am wondering if a ES Twilight 1 tripod  and it's mount would be appropriate to mount a OneSky on?  I looked around a bit on here and didn't see anything that would make me think it wouldn't, but then again as you can see by my post count I'm a rank beginner. Just got my OneSky less than a month ago :-).  Is there anything about this tripod / mount that would make it a poor candidate to mount a OneSky on?

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by Bener, 02 August 2021 - 08:31 AM.

#5222 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:02 AM

Hello all:

I am wondering if a ES Twilight 1 tripod  and it's mount would be appropriate to mount a OneSky on?  I looked around a bit on here and didn't see anything that would make me think it wouldn't, but then again as you can see by my post count I'm a rank beginner. Just got my OneSky less than a month ago :-).  Is there anything about this tripod / mount that would make it a poor candidate to mount a OneSky on?

Thank you all in advance!

The ES Twilight is expensive to use just for the One Sky. You can make a simple wooden tripod, for about $20.00-$30.00. 

AWB 130 complete

You can can get the plans from "eyesonthesky.com". It is a very simple tripod to construct. 

#5223 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

• Loc: Ithaca NY

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:16 AM

Thank you for reminding me about the home grown possibilities for a tripod. I have gathered most of the materials and intend to build one to use around my home and property.

I have also been to a few locations where having a tripod, with independently adjustable legs would be wonderful due to the irregular ground, and that's why I am now interested in a proper tripod and mount. I already own a nice, albeit ancient Leitz Tiltall that I have used with my regular photo camera, but understand that it's not suitable to attach an Alt-Azi mount to.

As a newbie, it's very likely that I have some of this wrong, so please steer me in the right direction if that's the case.

Thank you

Edited by Bener, 02 August 2021 - 09:17 AM.

#5224 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:20 AM

Hello all:

Thank you all

.,The T1 wouldn't be good enough for the scope IMHO.,You would find it far to shakey to focus at higher powers and settle time would be long enough for a nap.,build yourself something sturdy and stable and bring some blocks to level up with .,

#5225 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:30 AM

Hello all:

Thank you all

.,The T1 wouldn't be good enough for the scope IMHO.,You would find it far to shakey to focus at higher powers and settle time would be long enough for a nap.,build yourself something sturdy and stable and bring some blocks to level up with .,

What Dave said. You can easily level the tripod. I do it all the time.

It's easy to get caught up with improving the OneSky. The secret is not to spend a lot of money doing it. Save your money, and enjoy your time under the skies!laugh.gif

Edited by LIVE LONG, 02 August 2021 - 09:33 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics