•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
4964 replies to this topic

#51 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Someone else with the AWB! I thought I was all alone with these posts...

I definitely feel your pain, every upgrade I've made has been followed my at least 10 days of gloom and doom.

This little telescope never fails to deliver though! Clear skies my friend
  • ShaulaB likes this

#52 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

Holy cow M31 is big! This is my official first attempt at a dedicated image stacking session... Haven't been this excited in a while

14x 3mins @ ISO800

Attached Thumbnails

• 6658336-M31_small.jpg

• BFaucett, sasq24, Stevenmrvl and 3 others like this

#53 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

Your images are looking great! Love seeing what can be done with different scopes. Thanks for sharing!
  • BFaucett likes this

#54 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

I really wanted to improve the image of M51, but the gods were toying with me; gave up when my motor batteries ran out of juice

I hadn't attempted M13 with the autoguider yet, decided to end the night on an easy object... here was the result, quite a difference from the last ones (compare to a few posts ago)!

Attached Thumbnails

• 6660182-M13(guided)_small.jpg

• therealdmt, ron2k_1, rogeriomagellan and 2 others like this

#55 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

M8! first batch didnt turn out, re-focusing on a star nearby did the trick though!

41x 90 seconds @ ISO 800

Attached Thumbnails

• 6662190-M8_small.jpg

• dqniel and Nathan.M like this

#56 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for sharing these impressive results.

Not hijacking this thread but just nudging it- the Astronomers Without Borders People (husband and wife that are working with astronomy outreach to Tanzania) were at the Nebraska Star Party yesterday (7-30-14) during the daytime workshops and swap meet. They talked about the two outreach efforts and showed off this really nice scope. I heard many people saying that they were going to be buying one for themselves or someone they knew. I will be too.
  • BFaucett likes this

#57 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Not hijacking at all, I appreciate the comments!

I won't say it's the end all, be all of beginner telescopes (I don't have too many other examples to compare to), but every moment using this - from right out of the box with the simple dob mount to my now upgraded set-up, has been a wonderful experience. I'm about 10 weeks into the hobby, this little telescope has opened so many doors to a new hobby and new learning.

As for the astrophotography, I know the AWB was never design for or intended for it, but so far (in my opinion) it has kinda shattered the myth that you have to break the bank to get into the hobby. I have had the privilege of comparing its view to the larger dobs - yes it is missing some of the brilliance and the contrast, but in general I have been able to find and see everything I've looked for.

This thread has kinda turned into a photography end of things, rather than a "newb getting started" topic, but as long as the mods allow it I'll keep posting pictures here

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!
  • BFaucett and ghostboo like this

#58 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

I ordered one yesterday for some friends in Austin with two young girls < 3 years old, telling them it'd be better for the kids to grow up with a scope in the house. With multiple advanced degrees and bright parents also in the house, it'll get use. The order's based in no small part on what i've read here @ the OneSky. Thanks for the info!
  • BFaucett likes this

#59 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

I ordered one yesterday for some friends in Austin with two young girls < 3 years old, telling them it'd be better for the kids to grow up with a scope in the house. With multiple advanced degrees and bright parents also in the house, it'll get use. The order's based in no small part on what i've read here @ the OneSky. Thanks for the info!

#60 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

My progression of recommended starter scopes has evolved through my stargazing journey which started in 1980 with my new Astroscan. I recommended 'Scans' to others for years. Later, I recommended Stargazer Steve's 4.5" dob then the XT4.5. Now I recommend the AWB 5".
  • BFaucett likes this

#61 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

I use mine as a lightweight travel scope. Here's mine on a rear deck at a resort in Central Oregon, ready for action.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6662762-Ares 5.jpg

• BFaucett, spoonerizms and theropod like this

#62 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Got any other tips and tricks Steve? Every suggestion you have made has definitely been a good one

#63 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think we've covered everything:
Heavy grease on focuser threads
Light shield
Better eyepieces
Upgraded finder

I use the Meade 24mm 5K 68 deg for low power, and the Nagler 13T6 for medium power (fantastic in this scope).

Here's another pic (mine is the Bushnell variant, painted black).

Attached Thumbnails

• 6663528-Ares 5-2.jpg

• BFaucett and rogeriomagellan like this

#64 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

:waytogo: for the pic with the tasty looking brew in the background. ;D

#65 MSimmons

MSimmons

AstroGear Today

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:44 AM

Ken,

You met Chuck and Sue Ruehle, the managers of AWB's Telescopes to Tanzania program. It's definitely a great program and right now there is an Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign going on for the next phase of the study. There are lots of other programs in AWB but this one is definitely one of the best.

www.astronomerswithoutborders.org

Mike

#66 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

Thank you for including their names.  Nice folks!

#67 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Mine, or rather hers, showed up yesterday afternoon and got 1st use last night. What a nice little scope! Takes higher power than the supplied ep's very well. Sets up easiily. Big time best buy.

Lunar and planetary views really surprised me with their crispness. Too bad i'll not get a chance at some dark sky opportunities with this little unit before delivering it this weekend. Then again, maybe i need my own. I'd like to try large nebular views with filters.

• BFaucett likes this

#68 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

Mine, or rather hers, showed up yesterday afternoon and got 1st use last night. What a nice little scope! Takes higher power than the supplied ep's very well. Sets up easiily. Big time best buy.

Lunar and planetary views really surprised me with their crispness. Too bad i'll not get a chance at some dark sky opportunities with this little unit before delivering it this weekend. Then again, maybe i need my own. I'd like to try large nebular views with filters.

I just purchased a light pollution filter, and I have an OIII filter. Once we get past this super moon I'll be back to taking pictures, filters will for sure be one of the experiments. I'm itching to catch a picture of M20

#69 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Not the best seeing due to the incoming supermoon, but here is my first dedicated attempt at M57!

Attached Thumbnails

• M57(small).jpg

• Stargazer3236, toadblogger, jgroub and 7 others like this

#70 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

After about one month of owning it, I FINALLY had a chance last night for first light with my little AWB OneSky scope.

It was just a fairly short observing session (about 45 minutes) to have a little look at what the scope can do. Yeah, it's hot and humid down in here Houston right now! :)

I decided to spend a little time observing the Moon.  I gotta say I'm impressed with this little scope but, as this is the first reflector I've ever owned, I don't have much experience to compare it with but I do own two refractors. One is an old Sears model 6344 76mm (purchased in 1969 and I'm the original owner!) and the other is a fairly recently acquired Meade TerraStar 90mm.

I was impressed with the views of the Moon and I think I'm really going to enjoy using this little AWB OneSky scope.

Now I'm certainly NOT going to be any competition to jlandy, and the experienced AP folks on here may laugh a little at my modest attempt, but I couldn't resist trying to take a photo of the Moon as a little souvenir of first light with my AWB scope.

So, I simply held my Samsung Galaxy SII phone's camera up to the eyepiece and did the best that I could manage.  Frankly, I'm amazed at how well it turned out.

20140806_205502-smaller-right-side-up2.j

Cheers, everyone!  beer2.gif

-Bob F.  :)

Edited by BFaucett, 07 August 2014 - 11:32 PM.

• jlandy, sasq24 and Juan Rayo like this

#71 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Bob that's great! I did the same thing with my camera phone, picture didn't turn out nearly as nice as that!

I would definitely do the grease on the focuser first thing like Steve recommended- makes a world of difference. I don't know if you have streetlights near you like me, but the shroud cut out a lot of glow without much effort

Clear Skies my friend

Edited by jlandy, 07 August 2014 - 09:30 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#72 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

thought this would be a fun picture to post - here's a good example of 3 months of improvement

May's full moon vs last night's super moon

Attached Thumbnails

• moon(small).jpg
  • supermoon(eb).jpg

• Jim Haley, SkyG, dqniel and 6 others like this

#73 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

The William Optics 20mm WA ep's just arrived in the mail. I think they'll do nicely on this scope at 33x, 4.0mm exit pupil and 122 arc' TFOV. Yes, i bought two 'cause i'll have one too before long.

#74 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

thought this would be a fun picture to post - here's a good example of 3 months of improvement

Interesting. To what do you attribute the improvement? Better focus? Better processing? Better equipment?

#75 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Interesting. To what do you attribute the improvement? Better focus? Better processing? Better equipment?

All of the above? The first picture was the first night I had the AWB out, took a picture with my camera phone with eyepiece projection. I've since added a bunch of upgrades to support the reflector, learned new technique, and figured out how to get a sharp focus. Definitely been a learning process, but a great one. The equatorial mount and the autoguider were key to imaging

I know the AWB is not marketed as an imaging telescope, and I'm sure there are more preferred choices, but the limiting factor for me so far has never been the newt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics