•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

#201 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I picked one of these up, however I had to go with the Skywatcher as I live outside the USA, it arrived in good shape other than the fact the tube was sitting on a piece of thin white foan between the bottom and the base board of the mount and had worn through during its long trip from China and marked the particle board, minor cosmetic stuff. Performance was good, not as good as my Starblast 4.5" however the collimation is out a touch, a small dab of Superlube on the focuser threads smoothed things out, views were crisp on the moon, one GSO 2.5 barlow wouldn,t come to focus  but most of my eyepieces did.

All in all its a good buy, all for the price of a couple of high end Plossl eyepieces, I will evaluate it further after collimating it, :like:  Dave.

• rnc39560 and Ficere like this

#202 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Perpetual clouds and moonlight has kept me indoors the past few weeks, but I'm curious Azoic - what is the secondary blackening modification? If it's what I think it is, has it made a noticeable impact?

I'm trying my hand at the Cocoon Nebula tonight - I'm pretty sure I zeroed in on the right spot in the 30 minute viewing window I had on Monday, hopefully the weather forecast holds!

#203 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Can this OTA be mounted on a tripod with 1/4" Threads? I have a heavy duty tripod that has a load rating of 10 LB but the only thing it has is 1/4" threads for Camera Attachment.

It can (it works great on my alt-az tripod), but if you check one of my earlier posts I mentioned that the provided threaded hole location is (in my opinion) in the wrong spot. Drilling and tapping a new hole either on the opposite end or the middle of the dovetail will fix the weight balance problem

#204 kt4hx

kt4hx

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is flocking the lower OTA section.  Has anyone done this or felt the need to do it?  I know the paint typically used on the interior walls of scopes is not a true flat black.  That is why I flocked my Z10.

Edited by kt4hx, 17 September 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#205 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

so finally an update on my adventures - "sucessfully" (as in i found it and im starting to make out detail) started to image the cocoon nebula. It's fun that it's my first confirmed non-messier image, but boy... its going to take a *lot* of integration time to get an image that is at all recognizable. An hours worth is just starting to show some nebulosity

Added a new Messier to the list too tonight - M33! was planning to image it, figured it would be a good idea to find it beforehand. It's actually a lot easier to find with a pair of binoculars that it was in the telescope. Very big, but very, very faint! a single 5 minute exposure started to some some detail, looking forward to a long integration time on it

#206 azoic

azoic

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lugano

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hi Jihandy,

By blackening the secondary mirror I of course meant only blackening the edges and the back of it with some really dark paint. At first I did it with a sharpie but later on I found a nice really dark black paint which does not reflect so much light. as for the improvement...this as so often is a subjective question: I think certainly the blackening of the edges gives you less reflection if you still have an open tube likes the AWB comes in the package. once I fixed the lightshroud it is less obvious though but I think still noticeable...but then again subjective matter maybe since I did it myself and certainly WANT there to be a result ;). It is certainly an easy mod that if nothing else is just a fun time to tweak around on your scope if it also improves something subjectively even better. for new owners I would say though that the lightshroud is first priority! also I would like to see AWB selling proper light shrouds for this scope so people don´t have to play around anymore :/. I would certainly buy it as would most likely every other AWB owner at some point. can´t be that hard to find someone to do these in larger amounts...

also since the AWB is marketed as travelling scope it would be nice if on AWB page they would at least list some potential bags where the thing fits but then again...maybe too much effort and the reason why this thread got so popular :).

• jlandy likes this

#207 azoic

azoic

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

sorry for the wrong name jlandy (autocorrect got me there :p).

best,

alex

#208 dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr

Vostok 1

• Loc: SE of Denver

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

You are using the barlow to allow the camera to focus? Have you tried collapsing the scope a bit and tightening the knobs to move the secondary closer to the primary? I have considered trying this to allow use of a binoviewer but have not tried it so don't know if it reduces the stability of the upper assembly.

haha oh man... I don't know why I hadn't thought of that! I am absolutely going to try this (the simplest solution is often the best... a least recognized)

assuming it doesn't work, as an FYI for anyone reading this little dob does suffer from what seems to be a common problem among newts - can't get enough in-focus for the DSLR sensor. The 2x barlow pushes the focal point out a bit, but at the expense of another lens, and f/10 vs f/5 imaging.

that being said, I have a feeling I can limit the truss movement with my tube rings, if it works I'll just have to mark that spot on the OTA... great suggestion!

Following back up on this - very interesting idea. I've recently become interested in the basic idea of an EAA style setup - using an eyepiece cam to get quasi-real-time views. Given the tiny sensors of the planetary/video cams used for this, you want a fairly short FL scope, but a 1.25" visual path probably isn't a problem. The ability to shorten the truss tubes to gain a bit of back focus makes this a potentially interesting scope to try out EAA on the cheap, although the helical focuser might be a bit imprecise for this application. I guess the AT6IN might be even better suited for strict EAA use, but the OneSky has a few advantages

- collapses for easy transport

- works well as a g-n-g visual scope, which the AT6IN doesn't

- lighter

I guess the practical question on this is whether it's easy-ish to set the scope up for accurate/repeatable use in the shortened configuration while still being able to easily switch back to full extension for visual use.  If so, this could be fun to experiment with.

#209 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

I would like to see AWB selling proper light shrouds for this scope so people don´t have to play around anymore :/.

So would I! :)

can´t be that hard to find someone to do these in larger amounts...

I've checked with a couple shroud manufacturers but the difference so far is that they make them for truss-tube scopes that have several truss tubes and the OneSky only has the two. A stretchy shroud like they use wouldn't work. We don't have people to check around for other solutions but I hope we can find a source at some point. I agree it would be popular. If you or anyone else has any suggestions on who we might check with let me know!

also since the AWB is marketed as travelling scope it would be nice if on AWB page they would at least list some potential bags where the thing fits but then again...maybe too much effort and the reason why this thread got so popular :).

We did receive a note from someone who did just that. We just haven't gotten it posted yet but I'll find it and post it here to start and get it added to the store page.

Mike

#210 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

also since the AWB is marketed as travelling scope it would be nice if on AWB page they would at least list some potential bags where the thing fits

I carry my scope and other accessories around in a Vivitar RGC-12 camcorder bag. You can see it in the field here:

http://www.cloudynig...ders/?p=6162151

Here's the scope inside:

GR001-0490_awb-case-650.jpg

• BFaucett, cranston01, Robrj and 1 other like this

#211 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Is it a common practice to collapse the scope back once observation is done? Does it retain the collimation when trusses are pulled back for observation during next session?

#212 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Is it a common practice to collapse the scope back once observation is done? Does it retain the collimation when trusses are pulled back for observation during next session?

Yes to both questions, the first to cap the optics,DA.

• havasman likes this

#213 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Here is another option shared by a OneSky owner in Alaska, along with some photos he sent. I hope to get this and other suggestions on the OneSky store page to share with others.

I have found an ideal shroud for the One Sky and it comes with a bag big enough to pack the collapsed tube with the finder still attached. I discovered this at Sears a few days ago while checking every hradware store in town for something to carry the tube around.

I looked at hard plastic tool boxes and gymn bags, but this one fit the bill exactly. It also has two velcro attached inner tool pouches that can be put around the extended tube when it is mounted on the alt/az base.

It is about $30 on sale at Sears and is the only zip up bag with a hard foam bottom that cushions the scope when you travel. It is also very though double lined nylon with wide enough clamshell opening to easity fit the scope.

When you strap on the two tool pouches it doesn't unbalance the scope when you pull the shade forward to offset the weight. You can still get at the eyepiece and the red dot finder.

The biggest side pocket can hold all three eyepieces plus there are many more mesh and velcro pockets on both sides to put lots of little goodies or tools.

This is great to lug the base around in your left hand and sling if by the adjustable shoulder strap or use the double plastic handles on your right side (if you are ambidextrous it works either way).

Attached Thumbnails

• AWB-front_small.jpg
  • AWB-right_small.jpg
  • AWB-left_small.jpg
  • tool pouch-shroud_small.jpg
  • craftsman bag.jpg_crop.jpg

• BFaucett likes this

#214 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I think it would be great if AWB offered just the OTA for sale. Many of us already own a decent mount. I have always found tabletop mounts completely useless.

#215 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

I think it would be great if AWB offered just the OTA for sale. Many of us already own a decent mount. I have always found tabletop mounts completely useless.

Not possible. The telescope is supplied for us by Celestron, who sources it from Synta for us. It isn't offered as a tube only. I suspect the cost wouldn't be much less than with the mount, though. I'm sure the OTA is the vast majority of the cost. Ordering OTA's in small numbers, even if we could do it, might further raise the price. I really don't think it would be much of a savings. How much could you save out of $199 anyway? :)

The OneSky is primarily bought by beginners, who of course need the mount, with a smaller number of advanced amateurs getting it as a grab-and-go, mostly using the mount.
  • rnc39560 and Ficere like this

#216 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Here is another option shared by a OneSky owner in Alaska, along with some photos he sent. I hope to get this and other suggestions on the OneSky store page to share with others.

I have found an ideal shroud for the One Sky and it comes with a bag big enough to pack the collapsed tube with the finder still attached. I discovered this at Sears a few days ago while checking every hradware store in town for something to carry the tube around.

I looked at hard plastic tool boxes and gymn bags, but this one fit the bill exactly. It also has two velcro attached inner tool pouches that can be put around the extended tube when it is mounted on the alt/az base.

It is about $30 on sale at Sears and is the only zip up bag with a hard foam bottom that cushions the scope when you travel. It is also very though double lined nylon with wide enough clamshell opening to easity fit the scope.

When you strap on the two tool pouches it doesn't unbalance the scope when you pull the shade forward to offset the weight. You can still get at the eyepiece and the red dot finder.

The biggest side pocket can hold all three eyepieces plus there are many more mesh and velcro pockets on both sides to put lots of little goodies or tools.

This is great to lug the base around in your left hand and sling if by the adjustable shoulder strap or use the double plastic handles on your right side (if you are ambidextrous it works either way).

This looks good and Thank You. I got the length at 18". Could you tell me how wide the bottom of that bag is?

#217 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

This looks good and Thank You. I got the length at 18". Could you tell me how wide the bottom of that bag is?

That's all he sent me. I'll ask him if he can measure it and will post here when he replies.

Mike

#218 BFaucett

BFaucett

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

Mike,  Thanks for your post describing the tool bag from Sears and the photos of it!  :waytogo:

Here's a link to the bag at Sears:

http://www.sears.com...411000P?prdNo=7

From the photos that Mike posted, it looks like that bag is a very good way to go!  And the improvised light shield, made from the included tool rolls, looks functional.  It may not be perfect but it seems it would be easy to use.

-Bob F,  :)

Edited by BFaucett, 20 September 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#219 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Here's what the owner sent me in response to the question. More good info, including dimensions on the bottom of the bag.

The rough dimensions of the inside bottom is 12" x 18". The hard foam pad in the bottom is about 11" x 17" the same size as tabloid paper. The two pouch liners that make into a shroud have velcro tabs that stick to the inside. Once removed they warp around the tube to use the same velcro to close them together. There is just one tab in the middle of each liner, so it would be good to stitch on two more at each end for a better fit around the trusses. I'd suggest stretchy tabs like what are used on wrist or knee braces.

#220 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

FWIW

For 19.97 the Dewalt 24 in. 1 Touch Tool Box works nice storing the AWB One Sky.

http://www.homedepot...24082/202710560

Attached Thumbnails

• Dewalt.jpg

Edited by Jim7728, 21 September 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• havasman and BFaucett like this

#221 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Here's what the owner sent me in response to the question. More good info, including dimensions on the bottom of the bag.

The rough dimensions of the inside bottom is 12" x 18". The hard foam pad in the bottom is about 11" x 17" the same size as tabloid paper. The two pouch liners that make into a shroud have velcro tabs that stick to the inside. Once removed they warp around the tube to use the same velcro to close them together. There is just one tab in the middle of each liner, so it would be good to stitch on two more at each end for a better fit around the trusses. I'd suggest stretchy tabs like what are used on wrist or knee braces.

Thank you for getting back so quickly. That works for me, i'll order one. 

• BFaucett likes this

#222 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

For the DIYers, Michaels sells foam sheet for a dollar that can be easily fit to the telescope with some hot glue (won't prevent it from collapsing either!). I use the telescope every night it's clear, have yet to have to replace the shroud

#223 azoic

azoic

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thank you mark for your nice service in this thread and taking care of the AWB onesky community here as well as of course setting actions to increase it´s popularity even more according to our humble needs as fans :D. no really- I am amazed by the good service you guys deliver here! thanks a lot!

about the shroud its a tricky thing or sure with the 2 truss-design but arent´t there also shrouds with a center support ring in the stretch material? would this design maybe work here if the stretch material itself has the proper tension not to block the light path inbetween. maybe also a plastic ring that can be shifted along the tubes could be created that simply collapses between down as well with the rest of the scope but once you open it you can position it along the trusses and fix it eg with a clip/screw and then put your lightshroud around it?!? (just brainstorming here  - haven´t tried it in reality yet)

• rnc39560 likes this

#224 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thank you mark for your nice service in this thread and taking care of the AWB onesky community here as well as of course setting actions to increase it´s popularity even more according to our humble needs as fans :D. no really- I am amazed by the good service you guys deliver here! thanks a lot!

about the shroud its a tricky thing or sure with the 2 truss-design but arent´t there also shrouds with a center support ring in the stretch material? would this design maybe work here if the stretch material itself has the proper tension not to block the light path inbetween. maybe also a plastic ring that can be shifted along the tubes could be created that simply collapses between down as well with the rest of the scope but once you open it you can position it along the trusses and fix it eg with a clip/screw and then put your lightshroud around it?!? (just brainstorming here  - haven´t tried it in reality yet)

I think with the influx of questions on a shroud I'll document how to make one out of the foam sheet. It took me about 20 minutes to make a shroud that is attached to the top of the OneSky, slides in the OTA when collapsed (credit where credit is due - Steve's design was the inspiration, his mod seems very solid)

• Nick Salt and BFaucett like this

#225 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

I am amazed by the good service you guys deliver here! thanks a lot!

I've been an amateur astronomer for 40 years. This is the most fun I get to have in AWB work these days. :)

AWB's website will be undergoing some changes to provide a lot more functionality for our programs soon, and that will include bringing back a forum. We intend to have a section just for the OneSky for beginners. Not to replace CloudyNights threads like this but a place for beginners to get the most basic help from our volunteers and anyone else who comes in. It'll have an FAQ and sticky posts about FAQ's. But it's going to take a while to implement it.

about the shroud...

All the ideas are good but I'm not sure who's going to manufacture them. We're going to be posting DIY plans for accessories on the store page (and eventually in the forum) so if others come up with good ones and are willing to share them we'll post them.

Mike
  • rnc39560 and havasman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics