•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
2487 replies to this topic

#2451 darthteddy93

darthteddy93

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

Was able to fly with this telescope and it still works. However, it didn't emerge unscathed. 

The whole OTA was able to fit in my backpack while the base had to be packed separately. On my outbound flight it barely fit in the overhead bin & on the way back it had to be checked. Upon arriving home, I noticed the secondary was spinning a little too easily to the side & it was not aligned. One of the legs of the mount was broken, probably from being checked in for the flight. 

That being said, the most important thing was that this telescope survived and is still usable. If anyone reading this wants to fly with this telescope, you can do it. You just have to be careful with not bumping the OTA against stuff & the mount will give you problems since is wide. If you have your own tripod or other mounting solution that can be packed away for easy traveling, take that instead. When you get to your destination and upon your return, collimate the telescope. 

Edited by darthteddy93, 21 September 2017 - 02:55 AM.

• lbim likes this

#2452 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Using the OneSky as a travel scope:

As I mentioned in another thread, I took my Ares (same as OneSky) on a trip to Hawaii. Here is my review:

I went to Maui 2 years ago and was stunned out how much higher in the sky the planets and Milky way objects were located. I decided to bring the scope with me on this trip. I simply placed the tube assembly in our large, checked duffle bag, surrounded by clothes. I use a Vixen Porta II with this scope, and I use an Orion padded scope back to transport the mount. I checked this bag and our duffle bag as checked baggage. I wrapped the head of the Porta in bubble wrap, and everything arrived damage free.

For this travel scope I use a minimal eyepiece kit, comprising of my Meade 24/68, a Nagler 13T6, and a Celestron Ultima barlow (2.2x). On this trip, I decided to also bring my Meade 20/68. Both of these Meades are out of production, but have the exact same optics as the ES 68 deg series. I spent some time comparing the 20 with the 24, and can say they both perform identical except for the power & exit pupil. Both eyepieces are fairly well corrected, showing a little bit of astigmatism in the outer edge of field, compounded by the scope's coma.

The intended use for this setup was to be able to walk out of my condo and quickly view - Not going to a dark site and making a night out of it (perhaps next time I will). The lightweight scope was perfect for this use, and I used it on at least 4 occasions during our week long stay at Sugar Beach in Kihei, Maui. We had days of mixed weather, warm and cloudy or warm and clear. The nights were similar, with several good nights of viewing. Unfortunately, the seeing was pretty bad, but acceptable for low-power viewing. The warm night air was really nice - something I'm not used to in the Pacific NW.

The grassy grounds at our condo were fairly dark, but there are ground lights there and at the back of our condo. One thing I discovered is that even with a light shroud on the truss, the scope leaks a lot of light that at times interfered with my ability to view. The ground lights were leaking into the space directly below the focuser, and at one point also coming in through the bottom of the tube. I plan on rigging up a rear baffle and some sort of light block below the focuser. By moving the scope around, I found I could get reasonably good views without too much light distraction.

My Ares has fairly good optics - not perfect but not bad at all considering its $150 price tag. I decided to check collimation, which I had not done since purchasing the scope several years ago. Using my combo Cheshire and Site tube, along with a collimating cap, I found the scope to be in perfect collimation.

The mount performed flawlessly, and is a perfect mount for a OneSky. I purchased the mount for use with an 80 mm APO that is gone now. I have the Manny's Pan-Handle on this mount, and it was completely unnecessary for use with a OneSky. It's just as easy to grab the lower tube to move the scope. My wife & I enjoyed views of Saturn (Cassini barely visible) Jupiter (down in the muck) and some bright clusters & nebula. Again, not really from a dark site but super comfortable in 75 degree weather.

One of the highlights for me was when I woke up a 4 am, I was able to walk outside with nothing but shorts on. So I took the scope outside and viewed the Orion Nebula, at a very high altitude, in total summer comfort. Where I live, there are winters that go by where I never even get to see it once, due to its low elevation, trees, clouds, etc. And even if I do get to see it, I'll be freezing cold!

The scope and mount made it home in one piece, and everything went perfectly. I plan on bringing it every time I head out to this tropical paradise!

Here is the scope, set up on our lawn ready for viewing:

HI 1.jpg

Edited by SteveG, 23 September 2017 - 05:45 PM.

• astroneil likes this

#2453 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Here are the eyepieces. Left to right: Celestron Ultima (2.2x) barlow, Meade series 5K 24/68, Meade series 5K 20/68, TV Nagler 13T6. The Meades have been "de-cloaked"

travel.jpg

• astroneil likes this

#2454 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

Here is the scope & mount:

HI 4.jpg

#2455 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Nearby ground lighting can make its way to the eyepiece through this gap between the focuser and my shroud:

Attached Thumbnails

• HI 3.jpg

#2456 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Final pic - Paradise!

HI 5.jpg

#2457 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

I lied - one more:

HI 2.jpg

#2458 trigger08

trigger08

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NW Indiana, USA

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Hi all, the AWB OneSky that I’ve got on back-order will be my first telescope. I live in a suburban area of NW Indiana, looking at some dark sky maps we seem to be about Bortle 6-7. But I can get away from the towns to Bortle 4 skies in about 20-30 minutes’ drive so I went with the portability of the OneSky over larger options. Just need to make the light shroud and figure out what to set the scope on (no woodworking tools so I won't be building my own tripod).

I’ve skimmed through this thread and have seen several recommendations to get a 2 EP kit plus Barlow to replace the stock 25mm and 10mm for better views and greater eye relief. I’m planning to purchase the ES68 24mm and a GSO 2x shorty Barlow (unscrews to use as a 1.5x) to cover wide and mid-range.

My question is about a higher-powered EP for viewing planets and getting up close on the Moon… I'm looking into these options:

Agena's house brand 66° 6mm (108X, or 163X / 216X)
ES 82° 6.7mm (97X, or 146X / 194X)
Meade 5k 82° 5.5mm (118X, or 177X / 236X)

The 66° 6mm seems like it would still have a decent field of view, and could take the 1.5x Barlow to get to 163X (or even 216X as conditions allow). And it’s about $100 less than the other two.

Are the 82° options that much better? I understand a wider EP keeps the object in view longer, playing around in Stellarium at 145X-175X the 82° options with 1.5x Barlow seem to increase the time it takes Saturn to get from the center to the edge of the viewer by about 15-20 seconds.

Is there more to be aware of in terms of the quality of the view (sharpness/clarity, etc), or other factors I’m not considering? Of the two, it seems that the 6.7mm has more flexible magnifications with the 1.5x/2x Barlow.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

#2459 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi all, the AWB OneSky that I’ve got on back-order will be my first telescope. I live in a suburban area of NW Indiana, looking at some dark sky maps we seem to be about Bortle 6-7. But I can get away from the towns to Bortle 4 skies in about 20-30 minutes’ drive so I went with the portability of the OneSky over larger options. Just need to make the light shroud and figure out what to set the scope on (no woodworking tools so I won't be building my own tripod).

I’ve skimmed through this thread and have seen several recommendations to get a 2 EP kit plus Barlow to replace the stock 25mm and 10mm for better views and greater eye relief. I’m planning to purchase the ES68 24mm and a GSO 2x shorty Barlow (unscrews to use as a 1.5x) to cover wide and mid-range.

My question is about a higher-powered EP for viewing planets and getting up close on the Moon… I'm looking into these options:

Agena's house brand 66° 6mm (108X, or 163X / 216X)
ES 82° 6.7mm (97X, or 146X / 194X)
Meade 5k 82° 5.5mm (118X, or 177X / 236X)

The 66° 6mm seems like it would still have a decent field of view, and could take the 1.5x Barlow to get to 163X (or even 216X as conditions allow). And it’s about $100 less than the other two.

Are the 82° options that much better? I understand a wider EP keeps the object in view longer, playing around in Stellarium at 145X-175X the 82° options with 1.5x Barlow seem to increase the time it takes Saturn to get from the center to the edge of the viewer by about 15-20 seconds.

Is there more to be aware of in terms of the quality of the view (sharpness/clarity, etc), or other factors I’m not considering? Of the two, it seems that the 6.7mm has more flexible magnifications with the 1.5x/2x Barlow.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The ES and Meade are far better corrected eyepieces, which you need with an f5 scope. You will also enjoy their 82 deg afov. They are worth the price difference. I've seen very good reviews on that Meade, but IMO the 6.7 would be usable more often. If your seeing is very good, the Meade would be my choice. If not, the 6.7 ES. On mine, I feel it is at is highest usable power when I'm using the 13 with a 2x barlow (2.2x), which is about like having a 6 mm eyepiece.

• trigger08 likes this

#2460 darthteddy93

darthteddy93

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Is there a cheaper version of that Vixen Porta II Mount? I'd love to get something like that for my scope but $299 is much more than I'm willing to pay for just a tripod.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any good tripod mounts for the Onesky that are push-to, or at least show you the celestial coordinates of what you're looking at? It has been said that part of the fun is looking for DSOs and in my experience, that cannot be further from the truth. The hardest thing about this hobby is finding stuff in the night sky.

As much as a goto mount would be lovely, they are expensive and as a college student I'm trying not to spend too much. I have picked up Turn Left At Orion from my local library in an attempt to learn star hopping, but perhaps having a push-to mount would be easier. I haven't dug that deep into that book quite yet so we'll see. 

On another note, I think I've been bitten by the aperture bug since I've been playing around with the idea of getting an 8" dob. Can you see the shadow the rings cast on Saturn or vise versa with the OneSky? Is the Cassini division more easily visible? How about transits on Jupiter or obvious surface features on Mars? Would those features be easier to see in an 8" telescope assuming the same seeing conditions? Or perhaps would the 8" show those features in worse seeing conditions than this 5.1" can?

For the scope itself, I'm specifically looking at getting the Sky Watcher one here: https://smile.amazon...d=3VB8I2SJ48KNN Does anyone have any other recommendations or opinions for or against this scope?

I think it would be a little overkill to have 2 telescopes though so if I were to get this, I would look into selling my OneSky. Do you guys know how much a used OneSky would go for so long as its optics are in good condition?

I've also noticed some of you have like 5 or 6 telescopes listed in your sigs. Why do you guys have so many? Are they telescopes you've owned in your entire life? 

Edited by darthteddy93, 26 September 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#2461 lbim

lbim

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

Nearby ground lighting can make its way to the eyepiece through this gap between the focuser and my shroud:

post-18869-0-19870900-1506207264.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
HI 3.jpg  

Hi SteveG,

I've learn from you a lot so maybe this time I can suggest solution to the leaking light through the gap. 

What I did is a shaped piece of packing foam to block it from the gap between focuser and shroud and painted black.

post-226527-0-01071700-1501023659.jpg

Hope this will help a bit.

LBIM

Edited by lbim, 04 October 2017 - 03:17 PM.

• cookjaiii likes this

#2462 MarioJumanji

MarioJumanji

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

Is there a cheaper version of that Vixen Porta II Mount? I'd love to get something like that for my scope but $299 is much more than I'm willing to pay for just a tripod.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any good tripod mounts for the Onesky that are push-to, or at least show you the celestial coordinates of what you're looking at? It has been said that part of the fun is looking for DSOs and in my experience, that cannot be further from the truth. The hardest thing about this hobby is finding stuff in the night sky.

As much as a goto mount would be lovely, they are expensive and as a college student I'm trying not to spend too much. I have picked up Turn Left At Orion from my local library in an attempt to learn star hopping, but perhaps having a push-to mount would be easier. I haven't dug that deep into that book quite yet so we'll see.

On another note, I think I've been bitten by the aperture bug since I've been playing around with the idea of getting an 8" dob. Can you see the shadow the rings cast on Saturn or vise versa with the OneSky? Is the Cassini division more easily visible? How about transits on Jupiter or obvious surface features on Mars? Would those features be easier to see in an 8" telescope assuming the same seeing conditions? Or perhaps would the 8" show those features in worse seeing conditions than this 5.1" can?

For the scope itself, I'm specifically looking at getting the Sky Watcher one here: https://smile.amazon...d=3VB8I2SJ48KNN Does anyone have any other recommendations or opinions for or against this scope?

I think it would be a little overkill to have 2 telescopes though so if I were to get this, I would look into selling my OneSky. Do you guys know how much a used OneSky would go for so long as its optics are in good condition?

I've also noticed some of you have like 5 or 6 telescopes listed in your sigs. Why do you guys have so many? Are they telescopes you've owned in your entire life?

I got bit by the aperture bug too, and on Monday, my 10" Apertura was delivered. This thing is huge and I can hardly make room for it in my house. But I've only been able to look through it for about 10 minutes because of all the clouds that came in the box. Tonight, there was a small break in the clouds, but I wasn't interested in trying to set it up to look at the moon for a little bit. So I grabbed my OneSky and headed out the door. I don't think I would sell this scope, it's a perfect grab-n-go. Some day I might give it to someone who is worthy of its awesomeness.
  • SteveG, lbim, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#2463 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

post-18869-0-19870900-1506207264.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
HI 3.jpg  

Hi SteveG,

I've learn from you a lot so maybe this time I can suggest solution to the leaking light through the gap. 

What I did is a shaped piece of packing foam to block it from the gap between focuser and shroud and painted black.

post-226527-0-01071700-1501023659.jpg

Hope this will help a bit.

LBIM

That is exactly my plan LOL!

#2464 mcafold

mcafold

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Another bag option for this scope is the AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop backpack for $40. It is tight, but the scope just barely fits. I've put together a whole set-up that fits inside this bag, using a Berlebach Mini-Tripod, a Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar Alt-Az head, and a collapsible camp stool.

I've used this set-up a few times so far to bike or bus to observing sites, and it is super convenient to transport, and works pretty well while observing. It is very stable, but the RDF is often hard to use due to its position, and there is interference between the telescope and the tripod, meaning you probably have to re-orient the tripod when you move the telescope to a new target. I find those inconveniences worth it given the lightness, compactness, and portability of this set-up, but YMMV. 

The bag also has straps to carry a larger tripod externally, if you wanted to use a more normal sized tripod instead of the mini-tripod I'm using.

More details about what's in the bag at:

http://www.lightwand...pe-travel-bag/ 

20170801_DSC0878_lzn.jpg?resize=768%2C66

20170801_DSC0882_lzn.jpg?resize=768%2C85

Edited by mcafold, 09 October 2017 - 09:10 PM.

• SteveG, clearwaterdave, paulymo and 3 others like this

#2465 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Mcafold that looks like a pretty good set-up.,Thanks for sharing.,

#2466 Binojunky

Binojunky

Aurora

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Regarding the gap under the focuser, either a piece of craft foam or stiff card, plastic etc held in place with a bit of Velcro, foam would be best, then if you collapsed the tube and forgot to remove it , their would  not be any scratching,D

#2467 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:01 AM

Another bag option for this scope is the AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop backpack for $40. It is tight, but the scope just barely fits. I've put together a whole set-up that fits inside this bag, using a Berlebach Mini-Tripod, a Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar Alt-Az head, and a collapsible camp stool.

I've used this set-up a few times so far to bike or bus to observing sites, and it is super convenient to transport, and works pretty well while observing. It is very stable, but the RDF is often hard to use due to its position, and there is interference between the telescope and the tripod, meaning you probably have to re-orient the tripod when you move the telescope to a new target. I find those inconveniences worth it given the lightness, compactness, and portability of this set-up, but YMMV. 

The bag also has straps to carry a larger tripod externally, if you wanted to use a more normal sized tripod instead of the mini-tripod I'm using.

More details about what's in the bag at:

http://www.lightwand...pe-travel-bag/ 

20170801_DSC0878_lzn.jpg?resize=768%2C66

20170801_DSC0882_lzn.jpg?resize=768%2C85

How tall is the eyepiece at zenith for this set-up?  (Very cool, BTW.)

#2468 spoonerizms

spoonerizms

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southern CA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

External foam shroud, rolls up for storage. I used velcro at the top and circumferential joint, bottom is not fixed. I decided I prefer this to the internal type, even though it is a little uglier.

attachicon.gifshroud.JPG

Great idea! I'd love to do this. May I ask where you got this foam?

#2469 lbim

lbim

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

External foam shroud, rolls up for storage. I used velcro at the top and circumferential joint, bottom is not fixed. I decided I prefer this to the internal type, even though it is a little uglier.

attachicon.gifshroud.JPG

Great idea! I'd love to do this. May I ask where you got this foam?

Here is a sample where it is available. You need two sheets to make shroud. 

LBIM

#2470 daddymouse

daddymouse

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

AWB Mike,  every time I try to sign up as an individual  it takes me to the affiliate sign up page.  Then when I try to email AWB about the problem,  I always get a "bad gateway error 504" message.   Just FYI.   foreheadslap.gif

dc

#2471 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

AWB Mike,  every time I try to sign up as an individual  it takes me to the affiliate sign up page.  Then when I try to email AWB about the problem,  I always get a "bad gateway error 504" message.   Just FYI.   foreheadslap.gif

dc

DOH! That's not good. I've sent the membership error to the developer to fix. But that gateway error is widespread at the moment (it's a server issue) so it could be the same problem.

Thanks for letting me know! Some work is being done on the server and it seems to be causing issues.

Mike

#2472 daddymouse

daddymouse

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

dc

DOH! That's not good. I've sent the membership error to the developer to fix. But that gateway error is widespread at the moment (it's a server issue) so it could be the same problem.

Thanks for letting me know! Some work is being done on the server and it seems to be causing issues.

Mike

That was fast.  Thanks Mike!

#2473 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

dc

Mike

Looks like it's fixed. Please come back and join us! :)

Mike

#2474 daddymouse

daddymouse

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

dc

Mike

Looks like it's fixed. Please come back and join us! smile.gif

Mike

Done.  Thanks Mike!

#2475 lbim

lbim

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

It looks like next message will open PAGE # 100. (Wonder who will do this!) Maybe Mr. Msimmons?
OneSky topic is healthy and will continue.

LBIM

Edited by lbim, 27 October 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• monophonic likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics