•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

upgrading mount/tripod for Celestron C8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

I have a Celestron super c8 plus which is about 20 years old. About 1 year ago, I had the optics completely refurbished by Celestron. Now I'm interested in upgrading the mount and tripod with the latest computerized gizmos so that I can basically set up, calibrate, and quickly locate any deep sky object of interest.

My question: what are my options using my existing scope, how much will it cost, and where can I purchase what I need? Sorry if these are rather broad questions; I'm not sure where else to start.
Thanks,
Lee

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

I think JMI has a couple of DSC options that may work for you.

#3 Gary

Gary

Messenger

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:34 PM

leeroi,

Welcome to the club.

You'll need a dovetail mounted on the bottom of your ota and then consider which mount you want. The CG-5 goto would probably work for you. I did some checking awhile back and that was the only way. I bought the dovetail and plate but never mounted it. They cost around forty dollars and up. Check the stores for best price on both, then let Astronmics know the price and they will try and beat it. You may need a plate to adapt the dovetail bar with. The newer dovetail bar holes are closer together than the older ota screw holes. And they may not wide enough to redrill.

Hope this helps.

Gary

#4 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:34 PM

can you point me to a website for this?

#5 donti

donti

Explorer 1

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hi Leeroi,

I have my older C8 on a LXD55 mount. This combo gives me the goto features in a compact package of ota, mount and tripod. You will really need a sturdy tripod to go with the mount. LXD55 mounts can be had for a cheap price and there're easy to work on. I've cleaned and re-grease the mount for a really smooth action.

Enjoy, Don

#6 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

where would you suggest looking for a used LXD55?

#7 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

If you are interested in astrophotography, a mount with very good tracking will be required. I recommend either the Vixen GP-DX with Skysensor 2000, or the Losmandy GM-8 with Gemeni. Both mounts will cost about $2100 new, but can be found at times used. Avoid cheaper mounts if you can. I mount my C8 OTA on the Vixen GP-DX....

http://www.barrie-ta...stro_photo.html

Ciao...Barry

#8 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:23 AM

Unfortunately, most of the things I've seen are beyond my budget. What could I do (new or used) for around $1000? And what about keeping my current mount and tripod (same age as scope)? Can the mount be adapted to new hardware to provide the quick and easy deep sky browsing I'm looking for? I will be using this setup for weekend observing and do not anticipate using it for astrophotography.

Lee

#9 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

You can get a dovetail for a CG5 mount, LXD75 and 497 autostar new for well under your $1000 limit. I've just mounted a new C8 on this mount.

#10 donti

donti

Explorer 1

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:41 PM

I've picked up my used LXD55 mounts here and on A-Mart. My LXD75 tripod can from another CN'er. Try placing a "Wanted" ad on both sites, never hurts to ask.

#11 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

Compare these options: 1)Don's strategy to 2)keeping my current mount and tripod, and upgrading the current setup (Celestron C8, circa 1984) with JMI NCG-Max for around $600. Which way would you go?

Lee

#12 jrford

jrford

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

About 1 year ago, I had the optics completely refurbished by Celestron.

A little of topic but I have done something similar to what your doing. but now i'm waiting for the weather to turn sour before i send the OTA in for a cleaning or recoat. To refurbish it - How much, how long did it take? Did you ask about cleaning, or too old. Mine is also a '83.

Mount wise I stared with the original Polaris mount (very solid) and moved to a Celstar Mount, forks, wedge, tripod wiht DSC included, 10k objects, bought used from a good guy on AMart. Good price too under 400, I think there was one or two others who responded to my Want ad so I'd post first. Also online scopestuff has some used equipment which may help you.
What ever you do I did see GOTO GEM for about 500 so in some respects it may be worth it to just buy it new if you can afford it. Good luck and clear skies.
Jim

#13 leeroi

leeroi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

I've been looking for my receipt from Celestron to give you an accurate assessment of what I paid for the optics refurbishing, but alas, I can't find it. If memory serves me correctly, I believe I paid $350 to have all the optics restored to their original condition. I THINK that the price include shipping charges from Celestron to me. I had to pay for shipping to Celestron.

Hope this helps,
Lee

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics