•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

SCT Focusers: Opinions - Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:37 PM

Im looking at 2 focusers for my C9.25, since the image shift from the stock focuser is getting annoying (Im a long time Newt user).

William Optics SCT Rotateable Crayford Focuser ($160) and Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Focuser with 1.5" travel draw tube and internal brake system ($300).

Anyone have any comments on these items and their performance on Celestron systems? Thanks in advance!

#2 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:32 PM

Hi CS, I use the Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Focuser on my C14 and just love it. It’s one incredible work of art. I would never switch to another focuser…….Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102/SolarMax 60
TV76
Losmandy G11

#3 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:01 PM

And I use the WO on my N11 - and I'm quite happy with it; the mirror shift began to bug me also, although it was evident only at really high powers. :jump:

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:59 AM

how difficult is it to swap out the focuser on NS11GPS?

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Doug and Rusty.

One other question for you. These types of focusers are available with different travel distances (from 1 - 2 inches). Which ones do you use? Comments? Thanks again.

Jeff, these focuser's thread into the rear cell of the SCT just like a Star Diagonal. They work like a newtonian focuser - moving the Ocular back and forth. One simply does not use the SCT standard focus system (the one that moves the primary mirror forward and back in the OTA to achieve focus.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:09 PM

oh i see. so...do you just set the celestron focuser to where the image is not shifted and leave it alone?

#7 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hi Jeff T.,

Think of the primary focuser as a coarse focus knob and the secondary focuser as a fine focus knob. Move the scope's knob to get close and finish up with the secondary focuser.

Clear skies,
Jeff R.

#8 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:25 PM

CS, My Starlight Focuser has 2" of travel and is more than enough. On my C14 it takes 30 full rotations on the focus knob to move the mirror it's total travel distance. So what I do is rotate the focus knob 15 rev's (mid travel point) and let the focuser do the rest, it works great.....Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102/SolarMax 60
TV76
Losmandy G11

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics