•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Philler

Philler

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

I was wondering how good these eyepieces are. They say they have good eye relief at all focal lengths, but how sharp are they?

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I just tried the 25mm. For the money they are excellent!

It was pretty good even in my fast reflector, but I am so used to higher end eyepieces, that I sent mine back.

#3 npc

npc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

You can search through this forum's history, these have been discussed before. I would describe the general consensus as they are good eyepieces for the money, but are generally not as good in measurable areas as several of the brands with superior reputations and higher price tags. How much quality is worth vs. price depends on your needs.

If you can't afford >$100 eyepieces, these are good choices. If you can, these won't excite you much.

#4 Philler

Philler

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Thanks, I'll check around on them.

#5 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:53 PM

They are the best eyepieces I've seen at or near the price.

I have the 12mm, 9mm, and 7mm (newest). They're well corrected even in my large dobs less Paracorr. Very good light transmission, for I pushed them on faint galaxies, particularly in the 22", 12.5" dobs, and the 8" refractor, and I have no problem using these eyepieces in conjunction to my much more expensive eyepieces.

With the nice ER they are very comfortable view through, and I love the twist up eye-cup.

For the price and the views they give, plus they do not have a "cheap" feel to them like other eyepieces in this price range, I feel Celestron hit a homerun with this line.

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...r/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
Vixen 5.1" f/5 reflector
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#6 wpilon

wpilon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

I've got a bunch of them; 25mm, 12mm, 7mm and 5mm and they're pretty much all I use in my AD8 (8" f/5.9 dob).

I've been very happy with them

#7 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

I had the 9mm and it was pretty good. In that price range I also like the Paridigm ED EP that our host sells for $60...pretty nice build and feel.

#8 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

I've got the whole set and they work perfectly. For $75 they are probably the best in their class. I use them for outreach and people seem to like them as well.

#9 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Vanguard

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

When I use them look at the moon in my 6 inch refractor it is like looking out a window from an orbiting space craft!

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

I just tried the 25mm. For the money they are excellent!

It was pretty good even in my fast reflector, but I am so used to higher end eyepieces, that I sent mine back.

So why would you go to the trouble of ordering the EP, trying it out, finding that it was pretty good (whatever that means) in your scope and then go to all the trouble of sending it back ? Nothing better to do ? I mean I can see sending it back if it gave poor performance or something similar ! My four XCel EP's and 2 barlows give / gave excellent performance in my five scopes !

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

You can search through this forum's history, these have been discussed before. I would describe the general consensus as they are good eyepieces for the money, but are generally not as good in measurable areas as several of the brands with superior reputations and higher price tags. How much quality is worth vs. price depends on your needs.

If you can't afford >$100 eyepieces, these are good choices. If you can, these won't excite you much.

I think you are a bit wrong with your last statement and I am sure many owners will agree.

#12 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Based on Galaxyman's reviews (we're in the same club), I bought the 9mm for my Nexstar 6. Only used them one night, but I am extremely impressed. Wished I'd purchased one when Jupiter was prominent. Not about to give up my TVs, but if I were starting out on a budget I'd buy 2 of these instead of one TV.

Next chance I get, I'm stealing Karl's 7mm to see how that works in my scope for splitting doubles. He won't allow anyone to look at the moon with it....

#13 Philler

Philler

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

I think my next eyepiece purchase will be the 9mm Celestron X-Cel. I need a power between 111x and 170x, which I barlow, and the 9mm by itself would give me 128x and good ER. I just hope it doesn't present a focusing problem. An 8mm would be better giving me 144x, but the X-Cel series doesn't offer one. The 8mm RKE I have has unacceptably short eye relief and I rarely use it except if I barlow it observing the Moon.

#14 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

I have two (25 and 9mm) and plan on more. To me these perhaps are the best buy in eyepieces today. Note I said best buy, not best EP. I use mine on f6 newtonians and have no complaints at all. For the astronomer on a budget you can't do better.

#15 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

I think my next eyepiece purchase will be the 9mm Celestron X-Cel. I need a power between 111x and 170x, which I barlow, and the 9mm by itself would give me 128x and good ER. I just hope it doesn't present a focusing problem. An 8mm would be better giving me 144x, but the X-Cel series doesn't offer one. The 8mm RKE I have has unacceptably short eye relief and I rarely use it except if I barlow it observing the Moon.

AstroTech Paradigm 8mm or Agena Starguider 8mm would get you there with similar specs to the X-Cel series (60* AFOV, longer eye relief).

#16 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

I had the 9 and 12mm XCels and they were excellent but I replaced them with the Celestron Luminos 15 and 10mm EP's only because they have an 82 Deg. FOV instead of 60 Deg which is a plus at higher powers. I also sold the 25mm because I went to 2" EP's at the lower powers so all I have left in the XCel lineup is the 18mm and 2x Barlow. I highly recommend the XCels though !

#17 lordhaw

lordhaw

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have really enjoyed the two X-Cel LX's I have. The 12mm is a workhorse and my main eyepiece in my F/5.9 dob while the 9mm has proven to have been a good purchase too for more detailed work. I don't find the 60 degree FOV too bad when used as-is for planetary and they do barlow well. There are times for planetary I find a 60 degree FOV restrictive on a manual dob mind you but that just means more adjustments. On a GOTO scope that wouldn't be an issue at all.

#18 Philler

Philler

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

AstroTech Paradigm 8mm or Agena Starguider 8mm would get you there with similar specs to the X-Cel series (60* AFOV, longer eye relief).

Thanks Evan, I checked out the info on the AstroTech Paradigm 8mm. Quality, design, plus price is about the same as the X-Cel's, and the Paradigms having a bit longer ER, and 60 deg AFOV and would give me the power I am looking for with the 8mm they offer.

#19 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

one of the things I don't think I saw anyone mention is that these are all built in such a way that when switching from the different fl eps you need to refocus from very little to none

#20 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

I recently picked up one of these, 12mm, and just got in from a session where I spent a lot of time with it.

In my C8 running with the f/6.3 r/c installed, I can say that to my eyes, this is essentially a Radian. Now I know many will read that and disagree so let me say again, "to my eyes".

I used to have several Radians and used them in both an f/5 Newt as well as a couple SCT's (C8 and C9.25). I'm very familiar with how they perform. This X-Cel LX is probably 98% of a Radian to my eyes. I'm clearly going to have to get the rest of them.

These are sleepers and to quote Duke Leto, "The sleeper must awake"

#21 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:19 AM

I checked out the info on the AstroTech Paradigm 8mm. Quality, design, plus price is about the same as the X-Cel's, and the Paradigms having a bit longer ER, and 60 deg AFOV and would give me the power I am looking for with the 8mm they offer.

FYI, this review says the 8mm Paradigm has just 56.6* AFOV.
Just my :penny: :penny:

#22 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Vanguard

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

I recently picked up one of these, 12mm, and just got in from a session where I spent a lot of time with it.

In my C8 running with the f/6.3 r/c installed, I can say that to my eyes, this is essentially a Radian. Now I know many will read that and disagree so let me say again, "to my eyes".

I used to have several Radians and used them in both an f/5 Newt as well as a couple SCT's (C8 and C9.25). I'm very familiar with how they perform. This X-Cel LX is probably 98% of a Radian to my eyes. I'm clearly going to have to get the rest of them.

These are sleepers and to quote Duke Leto, "The sleeper must awake"

I did kind of like you Dave. I first bought one to fill in a spot where I needed a certain fl and then after seeing how good it looked I went out and bought the entire set including both barlows. I am really happy with every one of the pieces of the set.

#23 lordhaw

lordhaw

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

one of the things I don't think I saw anyone mention is that these are all built in such a way that when switching from the different fl eps you need to refocus from very little to none

Oh, never thought about that one. Between my 12mm and 9mm, which is a frequent switch, I don't have to refocus usually. They are parfocal or pretty darn close to it.

#24 320mb

320mb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

I've acquired the 18mm version of this LX series for testing. 2 nights ago I aimed my Dob at the Moon and I got the most incredible view of Copernicus @ 277x ... there was no image curvature at all and it was a crisp, clear image to the edge of my FOV. Keep in mind that these may perform differently on Refractors of various FL or focal ratios, or short FL Newts.
Last Night I got a decent look at Saturn @ 208x using same 18mm eyepiece but seeing conditions here were not the best as the daytime temp was 104 and the night time cooling did not offer good seeing until after 2200 local time.

#25 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

I used the exact same EP in my 10" Dob, (F/4.7), and the field curvature was brutal, so I sent it back.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics