•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Skyview Pro Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:42 PM

Orion Sky View Pro Mount

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:58 AM

Great job Bill!

#3 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:22 AM

Nice report Bill!! :applause:

#4 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:20 AM

Hi all,

oopsss - I just fixed the link.

Allister

#5 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:14 AM

Thanks, Joe!

#6 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

Nice report, similar to my experience BTW.
where did you get the aluminum slo-mo control knobs?
jay

#7 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, Jay. I got the knobs from focusknobs.com. They're great!

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the report. I'm very happy with the mount, and can highly recommend it.

I use mine with the Skyview Pro 127 (5" Mak-Cass).

Jarle

#9 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:27 PM

Nicely done, Bill. Clear and easily read. The information you provided has been added to the mix of things I'm considering as I ever so slowly make up my mind on what my next scope/mount will be. :waytogo:

#10 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

Bill, well done! Thanks for the ariticle!

#11 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, y'all! I appreciate it.

#12 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:27 PM

good review! i've noticed that orion uses those rubber tips on a lot of their tripods, including the steel pier that i own. all it takes is using it a few times and the rubber tips either wear off or fall off. does anybody know of an aftermarket company that makes heavier duty tips( maybe polyurethane?) that would last longer? i don't like the anti-suppresion pads, because i have the tendency to leave them in the grass where i was viewing, and also with a steel pier that requires turning balancing knobs to raise and level the scope, they're cumbersome.

#13 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:10 PM

Finally have had a few clear nights. Tonight the air is almost steady too! Have been out with the 80ED on the SVP. On tea break now.
Have been wandering around the lunar terminator and looking at Saturn. I am really satisfied with the 80ED on the SVP. I do not think it is overkill on that scope. Extremely solid.

#14 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:09 AM

does anybody know of an aftermarket company that makes heavier duty tips( maybe polyurethane?) that would last longer?

I'd like to know that myself. I don't mind using the vibration suppression pads, but it would be a lot easier if I didn't have to deal with them every time I set up the mount outside.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:44 AM

does anybody know of an aftermarket company that makes heavier duty tips( maybe polyurethane?) that would last longer?

Down at the local hardware store, I've found tips for furniture legs and the like which work quite well for astronomy equipment.

Jeff

#16 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:13 PM

Great idea, Jeff!

#17 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:16 PM

At a boy Bill.

edz

#18 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:04 PM

i've tried that, but most aren't the correct size, or are made of plastic. i wish telescope suppliers sold more spare parts,it doesn't seem like we should always end up having to fabricate everything. i'm not just talking about tripod tips, but everything else as well. i actually used the top of a peanut can as a shim between the head and pier on my scope. we end up having to be very inventive because of the lack of aftermarket parts sometimes!

#19 ObsessiveComplsv

ObsessiveComplsv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

I generally found the mount to be satisfactory. However, I recently discovered a major flaw in it. I took it out a couple of weeks ago on a cool, but not cold (high 20's) night to do some observing. It had been sitting in my car for a couple of hours. Having been cooled, the R.A. axis had stiffened up to such a degree as to render the mount unusable. After some investigation, and after talking with Orion's tech support, I discovered the reason. The manufacturer (Chinese, I presume)uses a stiff grease to make the axis turn smoothly. It works fine under relatively warm conditions, but when cooled, it prevents the R.A. axis from turning. Orion advised me that I either use a heater on the mount or replace the grease with white lithium grease. I have not yet tried these suggestions.
One other complaint I have is that the polar alignment scope accessory is not very easy to use. I found it time-consuming and hard on the back, since you need to squat way down to align the mount. I purchased a battery-powered laser and mounted it on the scope to do alignment on the North Pole. I was going to test it out when I ran into the grease problem. I think it will work a lot better than the polar alignment scope, though.

#20 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hi Allister,

Sorry not to be able to read your review, seems
that the link doesn't work for me :foreheadslap:
I've got the EQ6 SkyscanPro which should be the same
mount but from Orion isn't that correct?

Hope to see the corrected link,
Thanks,

Mert

#21 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

Oh where, oh where has the article gone?
Oh where, or where can it be?
The web page's lost and it cannot be found.
Oh woe, oh woe is to me!

Sorry, that 404 message has gotten the mad poet part of me going again (must be from all those years on sci.astro.amateur). :)

#22 Al Micheli

Al Micheli

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

One article is there - Reviews - Mounts - Equatorial.

Al
Lx200GPS
ED80

#23 mcoren

mcoren

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hey Obsessive,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! And welcome to the world of Chinese-made GEMs! The thick black grease you've discovered is commonly known as "Syntaglue", after the company (Synta) that makes many of the Chinese-supplied optics, mounts, and accessories sold by Orion and others.

I own an SVP and I used to own the very similar Celestron CG-5. I had the polar scope in the Celestron for a time and eventually got frustrated trying to use it and sold it on AstroMart. Personally, I've found it to be totally unnecessary. If you're just using your SVP for visual observing, all you need to do is sight Polaris through the empty polar scope opening and your alignment will be good enough for the RA drive to track.

If you plan to do long exposure astrophotography, the polar scope won't be accurate enough anyway, and you'll want to do a drift alignment to make sure you've got it just right.

Hope that helps!

#24 mcoren

mcoren

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

I've got the EQ6 SkyscanPro which should be the same
mount but from Orion isn't that correct?

Hi Mert,

The Orion SkyView Pro is equivalent to the EQ5. What you have (EQ6 + Skyscan) is sold by Orion as the Atlas EQ-G.

Orion just came out with a new GOTO mount, the Sirius EQ-G. This is the same as the HEQ5 with skyscan.

#25 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Mr. Obsessive: You might want to look at this web page. It's about relubing and cleaning up the gears on the SVP. I bought the CD for $13. Well worth it.

David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics