•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes-Micro f/3 Astrograph

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Not your Father's Maksutov, these are 10-inch, f/3 astrographs from Russian telescope maker Intes-Micro. Unlike their well-known MCTs and MNTs, this design is a medial triplet with a positive lens in front, a Mangin mirror at the rear, and a single-element positive field lens near the focal plane. It's similar to the Busack-Honders-Riccardi designs, but with a Newtonian diagonal mirror instead the larger, baffled mirror that is needed for full field illumination at a Cassegrain focus. A built-in focuser located on the rear cell moves the Mangin mirror over a small range (+/- millimeters). Some claim the design is inherently athermal for focus, but I have my doubts and will probably add a robo focus motor to automate the tweaks.

Shipping glass thousands of miles is always risky, and to protect the front element the scopes were delivered with the large (110 mm) diagonal mirror assembly uninstalled. My first task is to attach the diagonal mirrors to the front lens and set a rough collimation. I-M supplied collimating tools with the scopes, but I will probably make an adapter and use my existing CatsEye autocollimator setup. First light is still down the road -- I need to finalize the designs for camera adapters and finish the side-by-side saddle plate for the mount. After waiting nearly three years for these OTAs a few more weeks is not a big deal!

This link has additional photos of the scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6584409-image.jpg

#2 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

:bigshock: Wow! Please please please post photos once they are up and running!

What objects are you going after with those?

'Frank

#3 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Apollo

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Very interesting!
How much do these beauties cost? How large a field will they cover?
Regards,
--Ram

#4 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Beauty! Looking forward to hearing more about them!

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

There is an 180mm version on consignment for $2500......

New Eyes Old skies

Very specialized gear.

Question, why do you want two of these side by side?

Dave

#6 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

There is an 180mm version on consignment for $2500......

New Eyes Old skies

Very specialized gear.

Question, why do you want two of these side by side?

Dave

The OTAs are the basis for a project I call Timescopes. It's an automated system to image faint, large scale structures at a resolution near the seeing limit of 1-2 arcsec and the fast optics will reduce data collection times dramatically. Two OTAs can be configured for Ha + OSC on a single common FOV, or set with an angle offset to double the speed when building a mosaic.

Thanks for the link to that consignment - I wonder if it would fit in between... :grin: Actually that model is the older version, a MNT, and doesn't have the flat field of the medial.

#7 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Very interesting!
How much do these beauties cost? How large a field will they cover?
Regards,
--Ram

When the order was placed in 2011, the price was about $1K/inch of aperture, quite a bit less than the competition (Officina Stellare & Astro-Physics). The image circle is 43 mm, somewhat small, but compatible with the cameras I was considering.

#8 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Very interesting, looking forward to future posts regarding your project. Beauty scopes!

#9 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

very nice! post photos:)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics