•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takitis!

• Please log in to reply
4795 replies to this topic

#4726 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

Ron, seems like your classic FC is a keeper for life. My DL certainly is, it & my TV Genesis are my favourite 4 inchers.

What I've found out is that perfection has different facets, the TV is a wonderful widefield instrument, and my Tak is an unbeatable detail microscope, for 4 inch aperture. Both cool quickly.

My TSA-120 is without fault. Its not too heavy for my Giro Ercole or Skytee 2 mounts, and as far as visual Tak fracs go is their best before the imager-budget "platforms". Very bright whites stay just that. 

Edited by 25585, 14 November 2020 - 09:22 AM.

• bobhen, payner, RAKing and 1 other like this

#4727 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

I have several scopes including  5 refractors ( 2 Achros, 2 Doublets, one Oiled triplet) so, theoretically,  I should be classified as having satisfied my refractor gluttony to the hilt.

So.... how come I just bought myself a cute little Tak FC-76DS   ... ??belushi.gif

Must be a textbook case of Takitis.....bounce.gif hamsterdance.gif

Edited by ASTERON, 14 November 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• Scott in NC, payner, RAKing and 5 others like this

#4728 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:16 AM

I have several scopes including  5 refractors ( 2 Achros, 2 Doublets, one Oiled triplet) so, theoreticall,  I should be classified as having satisfied my refractor gluttony to the hilt.

So.... how come I just bought myself a cute little Tak FC-76DS   ... ??belushi.gif

Must be a textbook case of Takitis.....bounce.gif hamsterdance.gif

More g&g than your others.

• ASTERON likes this

#4729 csauer52

csauer52

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:34 AM

Well the FSQ looks like it's a keeper. It took a while for me to get going last night as I had to dial in spacing, create a new T-Point model etc.

This needs more data but this is barely 2 hours of Ha on The Heart Nebula. I plan to make a 2 panel mosaic which will cover both The Heart and Soul nebulae in the same frame.

Conclusion: this scope is a beauty and will complement the TOA130 very well!

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• fsq_heart_first_light.JPG

• 3 i Guy, Erik Bakker, edif300 and 10 others like this

#4730 StarAlert

StarAlert

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:04 AM

Takahashi price increases. Looks like some vendors are getting ahead of the Tak price increases coming on 12/1.  
Mewlon 210 $3,000 at Land Sea & Sky... $3,300 at Anacortes. 

If you’re thinking about buying a new Tak for Christmas, get it now. 

#4731 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

The only problem I ever had with a Tak clamshell is... the difficulty of attaching a handle to it.

Because of old age and arthritis, I put handles on my scopes so I can hold them securely as I carry them around and place them on the mount.  But where there is a will, there is a way!  And yes, I have seen the Vixen handles, but I am happy with my design.

BTW - Check the tie wrap on the clamshell.  The single bolt closing the clamshell is more than strong enough to carry the load, but it's also long enough to snag on your trousers.  tongue2.gif

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gifFS-128 Clamshell.JPG

Ron, how tall are you!

Edited by YAOG, 20 November 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#4732 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Hi All,

I've finally had time to spend significant hours behind the FC-100DL paired with the Extender QE 1.6X AKA TKA#36595. The results are indeed excellent and the FC-100DL while already sharp and well corrected has even more visual bite and contrast if that is possible than the FS-60Q I used for comparison in the Side-By-Side saddle on the GM8. But I encountered one unexpected change, when using the FC-100DL without the EX QE 1.6X in the city I had always prefered using the Baader Zeiss spec prism vs. the Baader BBHS coated Sitall mirror diagonal. BUT with the EX QE 1.6X there is a definite addition of color with any eyepiece. When swapped with the Baader BBHS mirror the color is gone. Same with the AP and TV mirrors both which had previously been less favored. 

Anybody else played with this combination and possibly seen this? Could this be caused by Takahashi's clam for the EX QE 1.6X of higher spherical and CA correction and the once favorable shift from the Baader Zeiss spec prism is now seen as an overcorrection when pushed hard? This is only visible at higher magnification pushing well past 70x per inch but even by 50X per inch I see suggestions of this issue. But the amazing thing is that by using the Baader BBHS mirror the FC-100DL+EX QE 1.6X combination seems to be capable of even higher powers per inch on the one night ot transparency and seeing that supported it. Mars has been spectacular with this combination with surprising surface detail for a 100mm class scope. Saturn and Jupiter are just as spectacular with the right air and you must use caution when observing the moon so as not to cut yourself.  

Anyway I am very interested the impressions of others who have spent at east a few observing sessions with FC-100DL or FC-100DZ optics paired with the TKA#36595 EX QE1.6X.  

• coopman, AZStarGuy, Celerondon and 1 other like this

#4733 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

Ron, how tall are you!

I am about average, 5'10", and when I carry the scope, it hangs down to just above my knee.

I have not had any bolts or TEC quick-release clips fail on me, but I have seen one Tak clamshell fail on someone else with embarrassing results.  The tie wraps are cheap insurance.

Cheers,

Ron

• MGD and 25585 like this

#4734 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

Hi All,

I've finally had time to spend significant hours behind the FC-100DL paired with the Extender QE 1.6X AKA TKA#36595. The results are indeed excellent and the FC-100DL while already sharp and well corrected has even more visual bite and contrast if that is possible than the FS-60Q I used for comparison in the Side-By-Side saddle on the GM8. But I encountered one unexpected change, when using the FC-100DL without the EX QE 1.6X in the city I had always prefered using the Baader Zeiss spec prism vs. the Baader BBHS coated Sitall mirror diagonal. BUT with the EX QE 1.6X there is a definite addition of color with any eyepiece. When swapped with the Baader BBHS mirror the color is gone. Same with the AP and TV mirrors both which had previously been less favored. 

Anybody else played with this combination and possibly seen this? Could this be caused by Takahashi's clam for the EX QE 1.6X of higher spherical and CA correction and the once favorable shift from the Baader Zeiss spec prism is now seen as an overcorrection when pushed hard? This is only visible at higher magnification pushing well past 70x per inch but even by 50X per inch I see suggestions of this issue. But the amazing thing is that by using the Baader BBHS mirror the FC-100DL+EX QE 1.6X combination seems to be capable of even higher powers per inch on the one night ot transparency and seeing that supported it. Mars has been spectacular with this combination with surprising surface detail for a 100mm class scope. Saturn and Jupiter are just as spectacular with the right air and you must use caution when observing the moon so as not to cut yourself.  

Anyway I am very interested the impressions of others who have spent at east a few observing sessions with FC-100DL or FC-100DZ optics paired with the TKA#36595 EX QE1.6X.  

My Q 1.6x is excellent. I use it on more than off, only Tak fixings so all fits & unfits easily.

F14.4 1440mm FL with DL. All my oldie eyepieces; Erfles, Konigs etc work well. With 2" eyepieces I use an AP mirror diagonal, for 1.25", a Tak prism. Neither has bothered me with colour. My Baader Astro Amici may show slight colour but its so excellent in all other respects.

When I viewed Mars with the DL & 1.6 using a Pentax XW 10mm & Morpheus 9mm, no filter, it was spectacular - pole, black bits, red. Manual tracking restricts how high I magnify, but I am sure I could have gone up more.

Main reason for having the Q1.6x is to be able to use longer FL, comfier eyepieces. Viewing/scanning the Moon using my 6.5mm Morpheus with DL & Q, is as far as I've gone, so far. Normally that eyepiece is for the TSA-120 & ED1.5 extender. 

Edited by 25585, 20 November 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#4735 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:42 PM

My Q 1.6x is excellent. I use it on more than off, only Tak fixings so all fits & unfits easily.

F14.4 1440mm FL with DL. All my oldie eyepieces; Erfles, Konigs etc work well. With 2" eyepieces I use an AP mirror diagonal, for 1.25", a Tak prism. Neither has bothered me with colour. My Baader Astro Amici may show slight colour but its so excellent in all other respects.

When I viewed Mars with the DL & 1.6 using a Pentax XW 10mm & Morpheus 9mm, no filter, it was spectacular - pole, black bits, red. Manual tracking restricts how high I magnify, but I am sure I could have gone up more.

Main reason for having the Q1.6x is to be able to use longer FL, comfier eyepieces. Viewing/scanning the Moon using my 6.5mm Morpheus with DL & Q, is as far as I've gone, so far. Normally that eyepiece is for the TSA-120 & ED1.5 extender. 

With the FC-100DL + EX QE 1.6X I have been using everything from a 24mm Pan to a 5mm T6 Nagler and not surprisingly the 5mm UO Volcano Top Orthos showed better contrast and more detail on Mars. I also tried my vintage MIJ Meade Series 4000 6.4mm Super Plossl but it was not a step in the right direction over the 6mm UO VT Ortho. I did not have enough transparency or seeing to really use the 4mm Ortho but I tried the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom at 4.5mm and during the moments of better transparency it was like WOW! I have been having amazingly good seeing, dead but the transparency has been in and out plus it has been so F'inig cold for SoCal, I almost had to go put on some long pants, it has been in the low-mid 40's here when the seeing was good. 

But yes IMO the EX EQ 1.6X is a winner with the right diagonal and apparently with good enough air the simpler eyepieces rule though that TeleVue 3-6mm Nagler zoom seems to somehow manage to break that rule somehow. TeleVue did some kind of voodoo over those Nagler zooms as it has often come down to the TV 3-6mm Nagler zoom and an ortho of the same focal range. 

Edited by YAOG, 21 November 2020 - 11:00 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#4736 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Poor Tak got frost on it past morning. It was -20C outside...

Attached Thumbnails

• index.jpg

• eros312, rerun, denis0007dl and 3 others like this

#4737 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:17 PM

:coldday:

• gjanke and SpaceX like this

#4738 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

Does Azerbaijan gets that cold ! snowedin.gif

#4739 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

Does Azerbaijan gets that cold ! snowedin.gif

Not really, this is in Kazakhstan. wink.gif

• SpaceX and Voyager 3 like this

#4740 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:10 PM

ahh - a pot of cooking water should help you out in this situation :D

#4741 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:27 AM

Not really, this is in Kazakhstan. wink.gif

Borat-iful! cool.gif

• AZStarGuy, eros312 and leviathan like this

#4742 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

This morning I woke up not planning on opening my wallet. 

I received an email offer on an Ex Demo Tak TSA 120mm. 

I paid for it. 

Its arriving tomorrow. 

My name is Simon and I am a Takahashi addict.

:(

• 3 i Guy, payner, RAKing and 14 others like this

#4743 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

I paid for it. 

Its arriving tomorrow. 

frown.gif

Hello Simon! Its a Grade A addiction.  

• SimonIRE likes this

#4744 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

Praise the Lord...I have a Brother in my burden smile.gif

Edited by SimonIRE, 25 November 2020 - 10:30 AM.

#4745 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:07 AM

In the USA Takahashi is not on the Schedule 1 list of Narcotics but fits the description well. Just replace the words drugs and substances with telescopes and you will know what I mean. 

The drugs that are considered the most dangerous by the DEA are known as Schedule I substances. These are drugs with no current medical use, per analysis by the DEA and FDA. These substances also carry a high potential for abuse and addiction. 

Edited by YAOG, 25 November 2020 - 12:20 PM.

• eros312, leviathan, 25585 and 2 others like this

#4746 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

I paid for it. 

Its arriving tomorrow. 

frown.gif

To add to it - I just upgraded the focuser. 

Nothing like a cocktail of Takahashi and Feathertouch to get the pulse racing. 

• Scott in NC, gjanke and 25585 like this

#4747 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:19 PM

To add to it - I just upgraded the focuser. 

Nothing like a cocktail of Takahashi and Feathertouch to get the pulse racing. 

Dood, there is something seriously wrong with you - call Doctor D now! 

#4748 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

In the USA Takahashi is not on the Schedule 1 list of Narcotics but fits the description well. Just replace the words drugs and substances with telescopes and you will know what I mean. 

The drugs that are considered the most dangerous by the DEA are known as Schedule I substances. These are drugs with no current medical use, per analysis by the DEA and FDA. These substances also carry a high potential for abuse and addiction. 

I agree that Takahashis can be habit-forming, but I think you should talk to your doctor.  My Takahashis have proven to be of substantial medical value, especially in the area of stress release.  They are a safe and effective way to calm down after work.  Take one after dark and see if you don't agree!  lol.gif

Ron

• Scott in NC, plyscope, payner and 4 others like this

#4749 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:56 PM

I agree that Takahashis can be habit-forming, but I think you should talk to your doctor.  My Takahashis have proven to be of substantial medical value, especially in the area of stress release.  They are a safe and effective way to calm down after work.  Take one after dark and see if you don't agree!  lol.gif

Ron

IDK, I prefer a couple fingers of good single malt Scotch to chill but to each his own. 

#4750 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:40 PM

IDK, I prefer a couple fingers of good single malt Scotch to chill but to each his own. 

I wish I could join you, but scotch doesn't mix so well with chemo and radiation treatments.  I'll have to stick with my Takahashi medicine for now.

Ron

• Bomber Bob, gjanke and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics